• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Haven't got the score but heard there was another boil over in Rocky today, with Central Qld getting the win over Logan.

midas

Frank Nicholson (4)
Must of watched different Gold vs Ipswich game to me.

I only saw Ipswich held up once in first half. Some Gold players thought Ipswich last try in second half held up as well but I couldn't see.

Good game played hard and fair by both sides.

I thought more scoring opportunities created by Gold but not converted. Ipswich out wide looked strong in attack.

Great defence shown by Both teams.

Of course, only my opinion.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)

I only saw Ipswich held up once in first half. Some Gold players thought Ipswich last try in second half held up as well but I couldn't see.

I thought more scoring opportunities created by Gold but not converted. Ipswich out wide looked strong in attack.

Always good to hear both sides, take a little of each and meet somewhere in the middle.
Anyway thanks for the updates guys, sounded like a great game, well done to all the lads. :)

Christian Cullen

Stan Wickham (3)
lol Midas beat me too it but here's what I saw

Gold vs Ipswich wasn't boil over, I thought Gold should win and they did.

Penalties went both ways & both teams got to keep their players. Try & conversion to Ipswich on full time kept the score close but Gold's Defence & Decision to take the points on offer made the difference.

Game was played in great spirit on the field by both teams & the result reflected so.
Both teams blew opportunities to score more tries & with the ball Ipswich Dominated from Line outs & Scums theirs no way anyone can be that lucky (Gold team) Well done Gold, sets up some interesting match ups for next weekend with 3 sides still in the hunt.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Congratulations to Gold players and coaches to get themsevles up from the result on Friday night as they showed real character today. Ipswich looked like they would score numerous tries in the first half however the goal defence was exceptional. You could tell after 30 seconds that Gold were up for the game today. Ipswich centres, who looked very dangerous, dropped a lot of ball however this was due to the line speed defence of the Gold backs. Defence wins games and this is what won the game for Gold. Very impressed with a number of the Ipswich backs and the No 2 jumper for Ipswich won just about every line up, it didn't matter who was throwing in. No 8 for Gold had a storming game, very strong in both attack and defence, he is definitely finding his feet as the competition goes on. Well done to both teams, the game was played at a high intensity in hot conditions. Gut feel is a few more upsets are on the way.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Plenty of pluck by Gold . And yes - stout goal line and mid field defense

However Gold defense was made to look a lot better through the refusal of Ipswich midfield to move the ball to the open man once the line was broken ( which it was repeatedly )

It's the story of Ipswich's JGC campaign to date . Can punch the line at will but won't move the ball to the open man , or if so , it was too late or not quite on the spot because they've waited too long and have defenders hanging off them

At least 3 x tries left out there today by Ipswich ( not taking the 3 x either/or decisions when Ipswich were over the line - 2 of which went to Gold's favour and 1 to Ipswich )

But well done Gold who took advantage on less opportunity when they had it

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)

However Gold defense was made to look a lot better through the refusal of Ipswich midfield to move the ball to the open man once the line was broken ( which it was repeatedly )

It's the story of Ipswich's JGC campaign to date . Can punch the line at will but won't move the ball to the open man

3 , maybe 4 tries left out there today

The only time 13 got a good ball he had try disallowed!

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@CC

keep the score close ?

C'mon .......there was a bees dick in it all game

Ipswich kick the conversion on the first try they win the game on the buzzer.

That's not"keeping the score close"

@ Lute

13 did get a opportunity but the quality of the opportunity through a combination of either recognition or execution of the pass was off. Just didn't come together .

It happens

/shrug

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)

It's the story of Ipswich's JGC campaign to date . Can punch the line at will but won't move the ball to the open man

At least 3 x tries left out there today by Ipswich ( not taking the 3 x either/or decisions when Ipswich were over the line - 2 of which went to Gold's favour and 1 to Ipswich )

GO do you think this is a league mentality coming through? Not sure if the centres play league, however league players tend to die with the ball rather than a traditional rugby centre, Pat McCabe and Daniel Herbert are two big exceptions, who would look for options out wide. Those two centres were very good however agreed they tended to take the man on rather than look for the outside player who may have been in a better position.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm not sure

I have seen A LOT of extended ball carrying by all players in all positions across all teams in this competition . And I've seen all QLD Teams play except Central QLD .

Its hard when players come together in assembled teams without a lot of familiarity or time together to get synced in with each other

Maybe a bit of over anxiety and jostling with boys trying to prove themselves and make a name for themselves instead of just making the right play

On a broader level this is dangerous for pathway talent ID who tend to reward size and single dimension ( of ball carrying )

League does that too in how it develops and rewards with it's "one out" dominant attack patterns

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
And surprisingly the ball dominance by the loose forwards through this comp on a couple of the teams in particular has been pretty interesting

There were a couple of the games in the first round where loosies for 3 x different teams , on their own , dominated at least 30% to 40% of their team's attack ball in first or second receiver positions for at least one half of their team's outing

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
I'm not sure

I have seen A LOT of extended ball carrying by all players in all positions across all teams in this competition . And I've seen all QLD Teams play except Central QLD .

Its hard when players come together in assembled teams without a lot of familiarity or time together to get synced in with each other

Maybe a bit of over anxiety and jostling with boys trying to prove themselves and make a name for themselves instead of just making the right play

On a broader level this is dangerous for pathway talent ID who tend to reward size and single dimension ( of ball carrying )

League does that too in how it develops and rewards with it's "one out" dominant attack patterns

No 11 for NQ carried the ball a lot by himself on Friday night, however he just keep on running, I reckon his last try from 80 metres out he would covered about 100-120 metres when he finally scored on the left side. Something special.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@ Rugby Follower

11 was doing what he should . He scored by being put into space and finishing - and the play you refer to was his brilliance in broken play and/or on kick return in broken play

He is a broken field wunderkind

That's what players like him in his position with the talent to do so - should be doing

Big ups to the lad

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Could be the "go to player" in their regular team and haven't learnt to be a team player,or a forward in their last life!

Boom Crash

Stan Wickham (3)

Boom Crash

Stan Wickham (3)
It was a great game played in great spirit.
Credit to Gold they gave away a lot in size and defended like starving Hyena's.
Ipi were their own worst enemy. They dominated every facet of play except the score board.
They won all of their own line out and stole a number of Goals throws.
Ipi won 3 tight heads and were penalised 4 times at scrum time for pushing past the 1.5m and estly engage. it's a real shame to see a scrum be punidhed for being dominate.
4 disallowed tries hurt the score board. Gold first try was awarded even though the player clearly dropped the ball. (I was 5m away). Even the Gold supporters next to me couldn't believe their luck.

In the end it was Golds stoicism and heart that kept them in the game and put them in the winning position.
Ipi created enough chance to win 3 games. The inability to execute or carrying the ball into contact when a pass should have been thrown killed their chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.