• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

ARU Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
So three test matches, one against each province and Aus A.

Sounds decent. But in the 2009 BILs Tour, the Lions didn't play the SupeRugby provincial sides. They played the Royal XV, Golden Lions, Free State Cheetahs, Natal Sharks, Western Province and the Southern Kings.

It's a different story in Australia, and I can pretty much guarantee that they'll play the SupeRugby sides.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
In this vapid media whore celebrity culture we live in, celebrity power is king. They are trying to appeal to non rugby lovers, no point in aiming the adds at the people posting in this thread, we all watch the Wallabies already; but the positive reactions in this thread point that they got it right on both fronts.

It's the footage of the players that got me excited, as opposed to the celebs (apart from the Gruz of course). I understand that it might be different for others though.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I liked both aspects. Sure, the vapid media inflates the idea of celebrity, but that shouldn't detract from the emotional appeal of famous Australians standing up and proclaiming their support for the team. If it does, then the vapid media has won.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think it helped that the celebrities (with one or two exceptions) are highly respected and would never be described as media-whores. Howard, Gillard, Schwarzer, Huegill etc. All squeky clean and widely admired.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think it helped that the celebrities (with one or two exceptions) are highly respected and would never be described as media-whores. Howard, Gillard, Schwarzer, Huegill etc. All squeky clean and widely admired.

Gillard used to be widely admired. Perhaps the commercials were made a few months ago, before her fall from grace.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Gillard used to be widely admired. Perhaps the commercials were made a few months ago, before her fall from grace.

That's partisan. Gillard is PM. She hasn't disgraced the office. Whether people like her policies is irrelevant. Many people disapprove of Howard's policies as well, but he also commands respect as a former PM.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
And that extended version highlights every possible piece of Wallaby merchandise available. Champagne marketing.

D

Danix

Instead of Julia (who's contribution seems so very fake) I would have liked to have seen someone like Hugh Jackman. I think he's a big name who seems pretty down to earth, just an afterthought. That being said, I think the ARU have done an amazing job.

I wonder if they tried to get him at all. He is a rugby fan, he even sang the national anthem at the 1997 Bledisloe in Melbourne http://youtu.be/ayX9jY0l18Q?t=1m30s

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Meh, lets leave the political discussions elsewhere.

There was a article in the daily telegraph asking whether this is the best sports ad on tv!
Not a bad endorsement from a NRL puppet.

The Reds had a two page spread (well, almost 2 full pages) today or yesterday. Maybe someone forgot to take their pills or something?

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Nice, simple and powerful. Now that's how an anthem should be bloody well sung.

Agreed, that's why I liked John Williamson's rendition at last years Bledisloe. He really stirred the crowd up, I felt ready to take on the Kiwi's head to head and I was in my living room over 850km away

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
you know what i felt was missing?
a leaguie and an afl player. im sure the aru could find someone willing to boost thier profile by appearing in an add like that>
think of all the free publicity it would have created
im so sick of this rivalry as if each sport believe there can only be one footy code
i can understand people wanting tio watch other codes... as long as they agree ours is better hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.