• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

and so onto France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I like that team too Scotty. I would switch Smith and Pocock and Brown and Palu though. Pocock can start against the Welshies. Palu seems more effective when he knows he only has 20 or 30 minutes to play. He really did create havoc out there on Saturday and that is when he is at his best. I wouldnt have a 5-2 split with Cooper starting either. That means if Burgess is injured, Giteau goes to 9. If Cooper is having a shocker, Giteau goes to 10. If Giteau is injured? I dont think we need the 5-2 split.

I would have played Cooper against England. If Cooper does play, both wings and Mortlock will need to be ready to do some work in centrefield because Burgess will throw it whether the backs are ready or not. Cooper will be ready but will need to know he has runners.

Whilst our scrum was good on Saturday (and as has been mentioned I think) Sheridan isnt at full fitness and is on the way back from injury. When England did dominate our scrum at Twickenham in 2005 and at Marseille last year, they had Steve Thompson and Mark Regan respectively at hooker. Mears isnt a big, strong scrummaging hooker and Johnson will probably have learnt a lesson there.

It is important we follow this up with another strong game to beat the French. The inability to win tough games back to back has been a hallmark of our season. This win will have given the Wallabies enormous confidence and self belief which are both vital for dominant teams. It will also have worked, partially at least, to remove the perception that our scrum is weak. Our scrum will need to be strong for many years before that perception disappears entirely.

Saturday was Al Baxter and the tight five's day, but, hopefully, on Sunday, Foley, Williams and Deans had them thinking seriously about the French game. Its been a few years since we have had an undefeated Spring tour. Hong Kong means we wont do it this year, but to beat a strong NH lineup will be an achievement.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I'd be tempted to start Pocock. A certain dreadlocked openside made his debut for Oz against the Frogs in Paris as a 20yo in 2000...

S

Spook

Looks as though Deans will start 3M at lock with Sharpe and move Mumm to 6 with Jism to the bench. :eek: Not sure if 3M is a lock but the overall pack looks strong. Mumm was unlucky to lose his spot for the Pom match and 3M did more than enough to keep his spot in the starting XV. ...So the forwards will probably be:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Baxter
4. Sharpe
5. 3M
6. Mumm
7. Smith
8. Palu

Pretty good I reckon. Looks stronger than the last selection. I am assuming 3M can scrummage now.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would switch Smith and Pocock and Brown and Palu though. Pocock can start against the Welshies. Palu seems more effective when he knows he only has 20 or 30 minutes to play. He really did create havoc out there on Saturday and that is when he is at his best. I wouldnt have a 5-2 split with Cooper starting either. That means if Burgess is injured, Giteau goes to 9. If Cooper is having a shocker, Giteau goes to 10. If Giteau is injured? I dont think we need the 5-2 split.

I was working on the assumption that Brown isn't 100%, but I agree with you, I like Palu off coming off the bench where he can make a real impact. The 5-2 bench split has Coordingly and Cross, so not problem with Burgess getting injured or Cooper struggling a bit. Only weakness is in the outside backs, but Cross could play wing if need be.

Of course it won't be the team selected.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The best thing about this game is that it starts at 7.00am Sunday Morning - Sunday will not be destroyed

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Amen fp. I get the feeling our pack won't quite repeat their heroics at scrum time but its best to give our top props the chance.

The 5/2 split isn't a full requirement I think Scotty - TPN can cover flanker apparently ;)

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Re 3M and Mumm. In Italy Mumm moved to 2nd row when 3M came off the bench and vice versa for Twickers. Thus I think it is as NAZA said and the fresh man goes to 6. Seems to make sense to me, especially when you are belting them in the scrums anyway.

I would be looking at the 5-2 bench. Mumm came on with about 15-18mins to go. 2 mins later 3M went down with what seemed like a corked leg but I think i saw someone said it was cramp. Anyway he was a bit of a passenger for the next 10 mins before he was replaced by TPN. Was quite funny to watch Moore when he saw TPN was on the field. Moore bolted for the sideline thinking there were 16 on the field and had to be grabbed by TPN who told him he was on for 3M.

Deans really doesnt like using his bench does he. I felt sorry for Dunning, Cords, Cooper and Digby as they walked around at the end, especially Dunning.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
the gambler said:
Was quite funny to watch Moore when he saw TPN was on the field. Moore bolted for the sideline thinking there were 16 on the field and had to be grabbed by TPN who told him he was on for 3M.

Haha I saw that watching a replay, you could see Moore mouth "oh OK" when TPN assured him he wasn't being subbed.

Anyhoo, team posted, Palu in for injured Brown, Alexander replaces Robinson who's being rested, and MMM goes to lock, Mumm to 6 and Chisolm to bench.

rugby.com.au said:
The selections of Dean Mumm, Ben Alexander and Wycliff Palu are the only changes to the Qantas Wallabies side named today for Saturday night?s Rugby Union Test against France in Paris.

Palu returns to the starting line-up for the first time since injuring the medial ligament in his knee against New Zealand at Brisbane in September.

He comes in for Richard Brown, whom he replaced after 45 minutes during last weekend?s 28-14 win over England. Brown, who sustained injuries to his knee and hand during that match, has been omitted from this weekend?s match-day squad.

After playing from the run on reserves bench at Twickenham, Mumm returns to the blindside flankers role he occupied in the opening two matches of the Wallabies? Spring Tour.

His selection comes at the expense of lock Mark Chisholm, who moves to the bench, with Hugh McMeniman reverting from the side of the scrum into the second row.

McMeniman made his comeback from an ankle ligament injury at lock against Italy two weeks ago, before switching to the blindside flank last weekend.

Alexander, who made such a big impression in his run on debut against Italy two weeks ago, takes over from Benn Robinson, who has started in all but one of the Wallabies? 12 Tests to date in 2008.

Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said the change was designed to spread the work load while encouraging the development of both players.

?Benn Robinson has had a big year and we?re mindful of that, while Ben Alexander showed against Italy, and earlier in the year during the Tests against France back in Australia, that he was capable in this company. Saturday night gives him another opportunity while allowing Benn Robinson to freshen up for the remaining games of the tour.?

Deans says a similar philosophy was at play in the change involving Mumm, McMeniman and Chisholm, and also on the bench where Sekope Kepu and David Pocock have been added.

Robinson, Brown and tighthead prop Matt Dunning are the three players to be omitted from last weekend?s match day squad.

Wallaby skipper Stirling Mortlock will play his 75th Test in Paris. In achieving this mark, Mortlock will tie former centre Jason Little as the 10th most capped Wallaby in history.

The game is the fourth of the Qantas Wallabies Spring Tour following on from the matches against New Zealand at Hong Kong, Italy in Padova and last weekend?s Cook Cup Test against England at London?s Twickenham Stadium.

It will be followed by the Wallabies? 14th and final Test of the year, against Wales at Cardiff on Saturday week, before the tour concludes with a specially arranged midweek game against the Barbarians club at London?s Wembley Stadium on 3 December.

That match commemorates the Olympic Gold Medal won by the Wallabies at the 1908 London Games.

The Qantas Wallabies team to play France at the Stade de France in Paris on Saturday 22 November (9pm kick off, local, 7am, 23 November, AEST), is:

15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
14. Peter Hynes (Queensland Reds)
13. Ryan Cross (Western Force)
12. Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies) captain
11. Drew Mitchell (Western Force)
10. Matt Giteau (Western Force)
9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
8. Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs)
7. George Smith (Brumbies)
6. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. Hugh McMeniman (Queensland Reds)
3. Al Baxter (NSW Waratahs)
2. Stephen Moore (Queensland Reds)
1. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)

Run on reserves:

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs)
17. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)
18. Mark Chisholm (Brumbies)
19. David Pocock (Western Force)
20. Sam Cordingley (Queensland Reds)
21. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
22. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's a shame that the same scrum unit can't be kept together but it's a bit of a luxury to do that on tour when blokes are champing at the bit to get a run. I can't imagine our scrum being as strong as against England without Benn Roninson playing and 3M locking on the TH side (as he did in that infamous game at Twickenham 2 years ago); so we will have to see.

I wonder what Gandalf is thinking in Ireland about Deans, first picking Alexander in the squad in June, and then starting him in 2 test matches, when he, Fisher, wouldn't give Alexander a start in the S14.

It will be interesting to see how long Palu can go for. I think that Pocock will come on fairly early and Smith move to the back.

Apart from scrummaging, perhaps, the benching of Chisholm should be an improvement.

I thought that Mitchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should swap positions, but what do I know?

For France they are the same except that they are still experimenting with their props which is not a bad sign for Oz and Chabal has replaced Millo-Chluski, who I think is an ordinary player at the club level. But watch out for the French back row - they are dynamite.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lee Grant said:
I wonder what Gandalf is thinking in Ireland about Deans, first picking Alexander in the squad in June, and then starting him in 2 test matches, when he, Fisher, wouldn't give Alexander a start in the S14.

Gandalf might also be wondering about the difference between his and Deans' views on Burgess and Kimlin.

R

rugbywhisperer

Is Robinson injured? His non selection has me baffled completely. he showed he is the future but hasn't been rewarded at all for all the hard work and success he had against Vickery et all.
Deans must have some insider knowledge on the game plan and Alexander probably fits it better.

R

rugbywhisperer

I can handle that.
Wish they would mirror this in the backs though

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
Is Robinson injured? His non selection has me baffled completely. he showed he is the future but hasn't been rewarded at all for all the hard work and success he had against Vickery et all.
Deans must have some insider knowledge on the game plan and Alexander probably fits it better.

Articles suggest that Deans is resting him for Wales (that may be the toughest game on tour)

The strange thing is that he is resting Dunning as well.

I wouldn't be surprised now if Dunning and Robinson start against Wales with Baxter on the bench. (I can't see Baxter starting at THP three tests in a row

S

Spook

Biffo said:
Lee Grant said:

Gandalf might also be wondering about the difference between his and Deans' views on Burgess and Kimlin.

Yes, and his continuing love for Campbell and Henderson. :angryfire:

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I thought that Mitchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should swap positions, but what do I know?

It seems we all know nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised now if Dunning and Robinson start against Wales with Baxter on the bench. (I can't see Baxter starting at THP three tests in a row

I think you are right, fp, and I think it is a good idea. Although we might also see Baxter come off early (ish) against the French if we are going well.

T

Turban

NTA said:
Amen fp. I get the feeling our pack won't quite repeat their heroics at scrum time but its best to give our top props the chance.

The 5/2 split isn't a full requirement I think Scotty - TPN can cover flanker apparently ;)

But can he cover hooker?

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
rugbywhisperer said:
I can handle that.
Wish they would mirror this in the backs though

You may need to read LG's post agaiin:
Lee Grant said:
In the article that GF posted (above) Deans said he was spreading the workload.

I thought everyone knew that backs don't do any work. :fishing

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I must admit I'm a bit concerned with the forward selections - but Deans seems to know what he's doing so I'll live with that. Except AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I wish some evidence of the master plan, however cunning it may be, would surface to show us all why AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is still considered a fullback.
I'd have thought that a solid, performing pack would be better kept largely intact, so the backs can be tinkered with, since they seem to be more of a problem.
Personally I would like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 13, Mitchell 15 and Ioane on the wing. Cross benched.

Status
Not open for further replies.