• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

All Blacks EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
That's not what he said. He said Richie gets away with it more than most, which he does. (Because he is good at playing the ref better (IMO)).
Anyway, a pointless debate - you throw a Smith, I throw a So'oialo loitering around on the wrong side getting in the way, or a Jerry Collins as an attacking pillar unbound 3 m in front of the ball, then you counter with some Wallaby lying on the ball, then we say Richie hits, spins and flops on the wrong side too much, then you say....
See what I mean?

That is what he said and I disagree with him. OZ have put out 3 great number 7's over the last decade who have gotten away with murder at the breakdown and other facets of play. I have no doubts about what McCaw gets away with. But with the 7's Oz has had over years you surely must see how funny it is reading stuff like that.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That is what he said and I disagree with him. OZ have put out 3 great number 7's over the last decade who have gotten away with murder at the breakdown and other facets of play. I have no doubts about what McCaw gets away with. But with the 7's Oz has had over years you surely must see how funny it is reading stuff like that.

No, it isn't that funny, because I think you missed the point of what Lee said, and reacted in the usual knee-jerk to any perceived criticism of McCaw. My reading was that Lee was grudgingly praising him - he gets away with more because he is BETTER. Only Smith has been as crafty. You adopted the other line and took offence.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
It's not a kneejerk reaction. Lee reckons McCaw gets away with more than your guys. I don't reckon he does. Your opensides play the same game as McCaw and get away with the same stuff. But you guys can keep to your blinkered view that's only the other guys getting away with more.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
and we descend yet again into the spiral of Darkness...

You think McCaw is the best. I agree. That means, as a 7, he is more adept at bending the rules than others. As such, he gets away with more. That's it, really.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's not a kneejerk reaction. Lee reckons McCaw gets away with more than your guys. I don't reckon he does. Your opensides play the same game as McCaw and get away with the same stuff. But you guys can keep to your blinkered view that's only the other guys getting away with more.

No-one's view is more blinkered than another. It's just another view. Your stubborn adherence to one view is just as narrow.
Anyway, I think McCaw is the best. I disagree he plays the same game to other 7s - his style has changed over the last year or two from more of an all out fetcher / nuisance to more of a linking player, occasional fetcher but still a nuisance (yes, just like any other seven!!!!). I think he plays quite differently around the breakdown to, say, Pocock. I think he plays smarter, adapts better (within the matches), so gets pinged less. It doesn't mean it's all legal - almost anything at a breakdown can be pinged, it just depends upon what the ref is looking at at that time / in that game and so on. Adapt and stay ahead of the ref. Tackler or not / did he release or not / did he get back to his feet or not / onside or not / in the side or not / going off feet or not... Others stick to their more limited style, so if they cop a ref that is "on that" for the match, they get done more. You see, it isn't all "Richie is a cheat", which is the windmill you seem to want to tilt at.
But I doubt you can be convinced it's not just whinging about poor Sir Richie.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
and we descend yet again into the spiral of Darkness...

You think McCaw is the best. I agree. That means, as a 7, he is more adept at bending the rules than others. As such, he gets away with more. That's it, really.

I do? I think on his day he can be. I've also watched Pocock put in some top performances this year. Especially in a forward pack that is quite often going backwards. I don't think McCaw gets away with anymore than Pocock does.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Does anyone know whether Andy Powell has been sighted? How did that not get a penalty at least? McCaw did not look happy when he got up - looked to me like he was going over to discuss it further....he seemed pretty groggy tho.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does anyone know whether Andy Powell has been sighted? How did that not get a penalty at least? McCaw did not look happy when he got up - looked to me like he was going over to discuss it further....he seemed pretty groggy tho.

I want to show the ref's boss the video of that hit and the one that Barnes was penalised for then I say.... What. The. Fuck

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

I'm sure he's been seen before... :D

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Really up to the Citing Commissioner, and IIRC they have 3 days to review footage and make a determination if on-field issues not picked up by the Match Officials need to be investigated.

It looked like quite a bad coat hanger tackle on Sir Richard of the Darkness, and he appeared to be away with the fairies when he got up. I think the only reason the referee didn't deal with the issue more seriously at the time, is due to the Cloak of Invisibility worn by Sir Richard.

Had this tackle been made in the LOTD, the natives would have been restless, and the tabloiders in the NZ rugby media would be crying for justice.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm sure he's been seen before... :D

Haha....Ritchie saw about 3 of him all at once...lol. He started walking over to have a word with all of them....

Really up to the Citing Commissioner, and IIRC they have 3 days to review footage and make a determination if on-field issues not picked up by the Match Officials need to be investigated.

It looked like quite a bad coat hanger tackle on Sir Richard of the Darkness, and he appeared to be away with the fairies when he got up. I think the only reason the referee didn't deal with the issue more seriously at the time, is due to the Cloak of Invisibility worn by Sir Richard.
Had this tackle been made in the LOTD, the natives would have been restless, and the tabloiders in the NZ rugby media would be crying for justice.

That damned cloak again....lol

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
John Afoa's try - is he the fastest prop in the world? Just joking, but he does actually have a bit of zip.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Apparently Andy Powell is a rely nice guy like Kevy so they let him off.

Seriously though site that and you will find 50 non sightings of similar events this season.
Unless the Kiwi commentary after the event and the subsequent spittle got in your eye and clouded your judgemt as to more than just another reckless high tackle you get in MOST games.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah...it's a try he'll remember for the rest of his life I reckon. Having the 'fresh legs' would have definitely helped but he did seem to have a bit of gas on him.

Both Kev Mealamu and Hore are pretty good ball runners as well. I became a Mealamu fan years ago before he became an AB. He was playing an NPC game for Auckland and he got a break rght down the centre of the field about 25-30m out from the line and went one-on-one with the full-back. It was the first time I had ever seen a front-rower step a full-back....clean stepped the FB and scored the try - beautiful. I think he started his rugby as a flanker for Otahuhu though.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Apparently Andy Powell is a rely nice guy like Kevy so they let him off.

Seriously though site that and you will find 50 non sightings of similar events this season.
Unless the Kiwi commentary after the event and the subsequent spittle got in your eye and clouded your judgemt as to more than just another reckless high tackle you get in MOST games.

Perhaps but I'm yet to see a high-shot this year that didn't at least get a penalty. They called McCaw for the knock-on. If anything, the refs have been ridiculed this year for being too soft eg. Drew Mitchell's red-card decisions earlier in the year. Hartley didn't get sited in the Poms game either - perhaps they realise that us kwis are just hard bastards anyway...hehehe.

BTW - Kevvy didn't get off the charge. He disputed that it was intentional and pointed to his 8 years clean record as an international footballer so the charge was down-graded and copped 2 weeks. I'm not saying whether that was right or not but his record (and I think it's fair to say that most of the rugby community would agree) does support the opinion that he is a pretty clean and fair player. Ask Brendan Cannon...lol

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
John Afoa's try - is he the fastest prop in the world? Just joking, but he does actually have a bit of zip.

Not such a big thing. Plenty of props score tries.

Afoa sprinted about 35 metres to touchdown.

Most props score most of their tries by sprinting anywhere up to about 50 or 60 centimetres. When the stories of these heroic try scoring exploits are retold, there is often a fend, shimmy, step, a couple of broken tackles and wrong footing swerve involved somewhere in that 50 centimetres dash for glory.

Nothing new. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.