• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

All Blacks EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Another good article in the NZ Herald this morning:

Tale of two coaching styles favours the All Blacks
By Dylan Cleaver 5:30 AM Friday Nov 26, 2010

If November has taught us anything new in a rugby sense, it is the field of team dynamics is complex and massively important.

There is no greater contrast than the harmony, whether contrived or not, that exudes from the All Blacks camp and the dysfunction and angst of Wales.

More specifically, you can point to two incidents that were emblematic of their November campaigns: the Keven Mealamu citing and the Ryan Jones sacking.

Mealamu made a mistake and the All Black coaches stood by their man; Jones made a mistake and was thrown under a bus by Warren Gatland.

All Blacks assistant Steve Hansen copped plenty of criticism for his "handling" of the Mealamu affair, some of it justified, some of it based on the gossamer-thin, non-argument of it "being a bad look".

He was clumsy in articulating the defence of Mealamu. Hansen should have acknowledged that Mealamu had erred when he cleaned out England captain Lewis Moody and that their argument was not with the citing, but that it was deemed intentional.

Instead we got a muddled, over-emotive response that suggested Mealamu "would never do that sort of thing", even if the cameras suggested otherwise.

Yesterday, Hansen was still talking about the appeal, a minor victory as Mealamu's suspension was reduced from four weeks to two.

"There's no doubt that on one angle of Kevvie's incident, it looked really bad. We understood why he got cited, but when you look at all the angles we could tell it wasn't what they were describing it as."

Water under the bridge, but in terms of team dynamics it was instructional. Even when Mealamu had come to them and admitted it was a mistake in technique rather than intent, management were within their rights to tell him that it was an argument they were unlikely to win and to move on.

But they didn't. They backed their man.

Compare that to Gatland's reaction when Jones addressed his teammates in the bowels of Millennium Stadium in the aftermath of their 16-16 draw with Fiji. A devastated Jones apologised for the indiscipline that conceded the critical late penalty and took responsibility.

In front of his teammates, Gatland then humiliated Jones by axing him as captain and told the media before the players had time to digest the news.

Emboldened by Gatland's decisive action, assistant coach Rob Howley then went on record as saying the performances of halfback-first five combination Dan Biggar and Richie Rees had been really disappointing.

In Graham Henry's seven-year reign it is easy to recall only two instances when he has publicly chewed players out and neither have occurred in that time of high emotion immediately following a test.

Liam Messam was told he was making the mistakes that lost teams test matches and Isaac Ross was told to get bigger and bolder and to focus on the core roles of being a lock. One has reacted positively to the reproach.

Even in the aftermath of the recent Hong Kong debacle, Henry was measured, refusing to get personal when confronted by individual horror mistakes that saw them lose a test.

All Black players know they can take nothing for granted in terms of selection - just ask Cory Jane.

But at the same time, they know they're not going to be humiliated by the men who hold their fate in their hands.

Welsh players do not feel the same.

Perhaps that's why they called a players-only meeting this week in an attempt to thrash out their problems.

It does not take a genius to figure out that when coaches are not invited to crisis meetings, they've either lost the dressing room or they never found it.

It should be noted that none of this guarantees New Zealand victory at Millennium Stadium on Sunday morning. There have been great teams in the past where contempt for coaches was barely disguised, but it happens less in rugby because the coaches every week have to ask players go out and hurt themselves for their cause.

How many Welshmen do you think are ready to bleed scarlet for Warren Gatland right now?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
And this one as well. I've highlighted a line or two for all the McCaw haters out there :p

All Blacks-Wales: By the numbers
By Tracey Nelson 11:03 AM Friday Nov 26, 2010

Tracey Nelson is the stats guru at haka.co.nz and will provide statistical analysis of the All Blacks' matches during their end of year tour.

All Blacks are poised to win the Grand Slam if they beat Wales at the Millenium Stadium this weekend.

They will equal South Africa's record of four Grand Slam tours should they do so - although South Africa's last Grand Slam win was back in 1960/61.

South Africa failed in their current Grand Slam bid when they were beaten by Scotland last weekend.

The All Blacks won their first Grand Slam in 1978, and Graham Henry has twice coached the All Blacks to winning tours against all four home unions in 2005 and 2008.

This is no mean feat, given that in a total of 26 Grand Slam tours undertaken by New Zealand, South Africa and Australia, the Grand Slam has only been achieved 8 times.

All sensible money is on the All Blacks - of the 27 test matches played between the two sides the All Blacks have won 24 and Wales only 3.

The Welsh have never beaten the All Blacks outside of Wales, and their last win was on December 19, 1953.

A dismal draw against Fiji last weekend has hardly raised the hopes of Welsh fans that their fortunes are about to change.

Wales have only managed to score 256 points to the All Blacks' 812 in all 27 tests, and have conceded almost 4 tries per game whilst averaging less than one try themselves.

The All Blacks have so far scored 13 tries in their three test wins on this Grand Slam tour, so that average looks likely to continue.

Topping the numbers going into this game are the core members of the pack. Richie McCaw has made 49 tackles, 21 ball carries and has been in the first three to the breakdown on 82 occasions.

Despite his involvement in nearly every second play on the field, McCaw has only conceded 6 penalties at a rate of two per game.

Kieran Read is the top ball carrier with 31, and second in the tackle count with 43. He is also top equal try scorer with Hosea Gear, having scored three tries in the three tests he has played.

Tony Woodcock has done his share of the workload arriving in the first three at the breakdown 62 times, making 32 tackles and 13 ball carries.

Brad Thorn and Jerome Kaino have only played two games each on tour, but are 2nd and 3rd behind McCaw for ruck arrivals. Thorn will play his 50th test this weekend.

Sam Whitelock has made two starts and had one game off the bench but his tackle count of 38 puts him firmly in third spot behind McCaw and Read. The Mr Reliable of the backline, Conrad Smith, has made 25 tackles in his two appearances on tour.

Dan Carter is set to become test rugby's highest points scorer, and it seems fitting that record will come against the team he played in his international debut back in 2003.

Carter needs just three points to eclipse Jonny Wilkinson's tally of 1178, so a penalty kick early in the game could well give him the record.

* The All Blacks will wear white arm bands as a mark of respect for the 29 miners presumed perished in the Pike River Mine disaster on the West Coast this week. A minute's silence will be observed before the test - both countries share a history of coal mining, with Wales being all too familiar with mining disasters over the years.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I thought it was getting penalised but not yellow-carded?? Is it both??

Hansen's right.....complaining about him does get boring :)

Well you posted the 2 articles, with one highlighted clearly to propagate it...maybe you like boring?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
We don't hate him. We hate what he gets away with and that we don't have guys that can get away with it like he can. I laughed when the Blacks were playing England and McCaw found himself on the wrong side of the ruck and running back to his side knocked over scrummie Youngs from behind as he was starting a run. Play went on, of course.

He used to slide down the opponents side of the tackle but the law crackdown has stopped that so he's excelling at the So'oialo fiddling stuff.

Great player and would be with or without the sly stuff, but I felt better typing that.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I laughed when the Blacks were playing England and McCaw found himself on the wrong side of the ruck and running back to his side knocked over scrummie Youngs from behind as he was starting a run. Play went on, of course.

I missed that one....I'll have to open both eyes ;)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I think McCaw not being penalised is exactly the issue of the haters.

To be fair to MaCaw, the haters should take aim at the officials. McCaw is like a kid who has found out he can push his luck and get away with it.

It is also appropriate that NZ be playing Wales this weekend when they pay recpect to the fallen miners. The Welsh know this scenario all to well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Here we called that Wank-Word Bingo

I remember Wank Word Bingo. That one set the benchmark/

The Garguantuan Cliche Overload Buzzword Bingo 1.0 has a lot more wank words in the matrix than Wank Word Bingo, but is played on the same principles, just a bit more complex.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
If you get to watch the replay in the Welsh game, check out the 70 minute mark.

Front rower John Afoa bursts on to the offload from Mils Muliana 30 metres out, steps, fends, shimmeys, dodges, and away on the burst for a further 25 metre sprint to go over next to the right upright for a 7 pointer.

Awesome effort for a fatty. There are any number of former fatties in Gaggerland who will recall their own past glorious efforts. IIRC these olympian efforts are typically about 5 metres, rather than Afoa's 30 metres. :)

Darkness were finally Yellow Carded for lying on the ball - Braid. Buggers scored 10 points while Braid was off.

Very brave effort from the Leek Eaters who brought their A game along but ultimately, like the Irish last week, they ran out of steam towards the end. A focused and clinical effort from The Darkness saw them score the needed points from the opportunities presented.

Just to piss me off when they should have scored another try on the horn to make the margin as per my SuperBru tip, the bastards in the New Zealand Rugby Team let the Welshies in for a late try to rob me of much needed SuperBru bonus tipping points.

H

Hodgy

lovely to watch a ref actually ping the ABs for going off their feet / not rolling away and entering at the side oh, and for giving a yellow card at the right time rather than yet another red zone warning. Jeez they're clinical as all hell though, brilliant execution. This has been a funny tour for them, during the games I've seen I haven't thought they looked very good, but they've won easily. Half of me is encouraged that a physical team might be able to do to them what the Boks did to England today, the other half worries that even if they did the ABs would simply score four tries the four times they got the ball.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
lovely to watch a ref actually ping the ABs for going off their feet / not rolling away and entering at the side oh, and for giving a yellow card at the right time rather than yet another red zone warning.

It would be even better if he did the same to both teams playing. That was a horrible performance by Mr Lewis. And a YC for not rolling away when you're under a pile of bodies?`And clearly can't move?

H

Hodgy

maybe he should have let go of the ball and the player rather than clinging on for dear life? That was as obvious a yellow card as I've seen for a while, so cynical.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
We don't hate him. We hate what he gets away with and that we don't have guys that can get away with it like he can. I laughed when the Blacks were playing England and McCaw found himself on the wrong side of the ruck and running back to his side knocked over scrummie Youngs from behind as he was starting a run. Play went on, of course.

He used to slide down the opponents side of the tackle but the law crackdown has stopped that so he's excelling at the So'oialo fiddling stuff.

Great player and would be with or without the sly stuff, but I felt better typing that.

Bit of a laugh reading that. Especially after watching Smith and Waugh enter from the side for years. Now Pocock is picking up exactly where they left off. But of course those 3 players never pushed the laws.

Has there been player as talented as Smith at reaching through the ruck to knock the ball out of the halfbacks hands?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bit of a laugh reading that. Especially after watching Smith and Waugh enter from the side for years. Now Pocock is picking up exactly where they left off. But of course those 3 players never pushed the laws.

Has there been player as talented as Smith at reaching through the ruck to knock the ball out of the halfbacks hands?

That's not what he said. He said Richie gets away with it more than most, which he does. (Because he is good at playing the ref better (IMO)).
Anyway, a pointless debate - you throw a Smith, I throw a So'oialo loitering around on the wrong side getting in the way, or a Jerry Collins as an attacking pillar unbound 3 m in front of the ball, then you counter with some Wallaby lying on the ball, then we say Richie hits, spins and flops on the wrong side too much, then you say....
See what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.