• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

All Blacks EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Scorzy,

That was mighty effort by your boys to make the home side Scotland wear their away strip so that their would be no color clash mate!
It's not an "AWAY" strip - IRB directive is that the home team change to their alternate stip when they clash.
Whenever Scotland play in NZ - its the ABs who change and wear white jerseys

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's not an "AWAY" strip - IRB directive is that the home team change to their alternate stip when they clash.
Whenever Scotland play in NZ - its the ABs who change and wear white jerseys

So why did France wear white in NZ last year, and SA wear white against Ireland this year?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Good question, Konze. I seem to recall a missive from the iRB which looked something from a soccer club: a colour clash required the away team to change. That's why France and SAf wore their change strip. It's a poor practice on two counts:

1. A travelling team should pack only one strip. The home team have all the storage they need as well as home ground advantage.
2. Rugby has a tradition of the home team changing which is different from soccer's, let's keep our traditions and not blindly follow soccer, as European rugby seems to have done.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
NOt sure why France wore white - remember tho' that France really are supposed to be royal blue which never used to clash with Black, it was only when they changed to Navy Blue that the problem began, so maybe the French agreed to change in NZ

Re SA vs Ireland last week - I'd assume they kept green because it was a special commemerative edition jersey

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Ireland vs New Zealand

Team named:

The All Black team to play Ireland in Sunday's (6.15am NZT) rugby test at Aviva Stadium:

Mils Muliaina,
Cory Jane,
Conrad Smith,
Ma'a Nonu,
Hosea Gear,
Daniel Carter,
Andy Ellis,

Kieran Read,
Richie McCaw (captain),
Jerome Kaino,
Tom Donnelly,
Brad Thorn,
Owen Franks,
Hika Elliot,
Tony Woodcock.

Reserves: Andrew Hore, John Afoa, Anthony Boric, Liam Messam, Alby Mathewson, Stephen Donald, Sonny Bill Williams.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Thanks for the memories Joe but methinks the Age of the Gear be upon us.

How long before we see Gear and Sivivatu on the wings and Jane at fullback??? Or Gear and Ranger?? Kahui?? Dagg??

Ellis?!?! I spose Henry had to give him one start.....I wouldn't have.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Good question, Konze. I seem to recall a missive from the iRB which looked something from a soccer club: a colour clash required the away team to change. That's why France and SAf wore their change strip. It's a poor practice on two counts:

1. A travelling team should pack only one strip. The home team have all the storage they need as well as home ground advantage.
2. Rugby has a tradition of the home team changing which is different from soccer's, let's keep our traditions and not blindly follow soccer, as European rugby seems to have done.

The sensibility of the Home Team fronting up in the "different" jumper makes good logistics sense, as has been said to reduce the burdon on the Travelling Team......However .....

In the olden days, players traditionally swapped jumpers after the Test - I'm not too sure that this occurs as much now days. Certainly does not seem to occur while the teams are still out on the oval as used to occur in the olden days. This jumper swapping regime would mean that the Away Team would have always needed a new set of jumpers for each Test match.

In the modern game, many top level international teams have the game details embroidered on them (probs for resale and authenticity value as much as anything else). Again a brand new set of jumpers for each game for both Home and Away Teams.

The logistics argument for the Away Team not to change strip only really works at the lower levels of the game - Grassroots clubs and provincial tours where jumpers are washed and worn more than once.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Unique to Rugby traditions survive at grassroots level.

Unique to Rugby Traditions survive at professional level only if there is a buck to be made in it somewhere. If not, then "let's reinvigorate the game" with more commercially savvy "Traditions"

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Should get back on subject to the Darkness EOYT thread.

Anyone know the weather forecast for Ireland this weekend. Any chance of Thormond Park conditions?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I remember the jersey clash between NZ and France in the 07 RWC was resolved by coin toss early in the week before the game.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think it's because the All Blacks are in fact called the All BLACKs and the French don't have that kind of of connection with their jersey, they must wear their white jersey for almost half of their international fixtures.

I think it makes sense, remember how silly that grey strip the ABs wore against Scotland in the 07 WC looked?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think it's because the All Blacks are in fact called the All BLACKs and the French don't have that kind of of connection with their jersey, they must wear their white jersey for almost half of their international fixtures.

I think it makes sense, remember how silly that grey strip the ABs wore against Scotland in the 07 WC looked?

I hate to break it to you, but the tricolour is a pretty big deal in France...

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yeah. Not what was actually being talked about - the colour of their jersey. Anyway, point is, Everybody used to have to change bugger all before these cockfags like Nike and CCC started fucking with the shades of Blue, even White - the shade that England played in when they spanked the Wobbs for example. Pretty Dark White. For what? Money. Lame.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The Tricolour is the flag.

Pissing down for the Test. It's not at Thomond Park. It's in Dublin.

I know it's in Dublin but was wondering if conditions were likely to be "Thormond Park like" similar to the Wobs vs Munster conditions experienced mid week.

Pissing down Huh. Guess we may not see the expansive game being rolled out by the Darkness or the Paddys. Still, both teams would be familiar with the conditions, and should be able to adopt their game plan accordingly.

I thought that this had the potential to be one of the games of the EOYT's from the 3N teams. Pity but that's footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.