• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd Place Play Off - Wallabies v Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
•Australia kickers: In RWC: O’Connor 77% (17 from 22) Cooper 50% (4/8) Barnes 80% (4/5) Beale 0/1. In 2011: O’Connor 71% (79 from 112) Cooper 67% (84/126) Barnes 53% (9/17) Beale 71% (59/83).
•Wales kickers in RWC: Hook 54% (7/13), Jones 92% (11/12), Halfpenny 1/2. In 6-nations Hook 76% (12/17), Jones 73% (8/11) Halfpenny 1/1.

A great stat, but doesn't look so good when you consider the consequences of the one he missed...

R

RuckinGoodStats

Yeah, but critical miss was JOC (James O'Connor)'s v Ireland. He was asked to take it from Cooper's sweet spot. Cooper has landed 7 for 9 from that same position and it would have changed the game, the side of the draw you were on and whether you were playing tonight or against a batter winner of RSA v NZ. Just a theory though...

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looks like Gatland's hard-nosed approach to selesction is going to continue:

"Gatland will begin planning for the 2015 World Cup immediately he returns to Wales. "We do not have a huge playing base and you need to think about who will be around in 2015. That may mean making a couple of tough calls in the Six Nations, saying to players that, even though they may have a couple of years left, as they will not be around in 2015 they will make way."

Spike? Adam? Geth? Probably the former I suppose, but I was hoping Geth and Adam could make it through to 2015.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...?newsfeed=true

P

pete88

Because having experienced campaigners around a young side while it develops is of no value whatsoever.:rolleyes:

I'm sure something similar will happen with Dan Vickerman, even though he will be one of our best locks for a couple of years yet.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Genia v Phillips should be a good match up tonight. If either defense goes to sleep, one of these 2 will be diving over for a try.

Hope QC (Quade Cooper) has a good game. He is a better player than what he's shown in the whole tournament so far.

T

TheNextBigThing

I thought it was too ridiculous a notion to be serious.

That said it is reflective of our selection policies for the last couple of years for better or worse.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)

"Gatland will begin planning for the 2015 World Cup immediately he returns to Wales. "We do not have a huge playing base and you need to think about who will be around in 2015. That may mean making a couple of tough calls in the Six Nations, saying to players that, even though they may have a couple of years left, as they will not be around in 2015 they will make way."

Spike? Adam? Geth? Probably the former I suppose, but I was hoping Geth and Adam could make it through to 2015.

Ugh, and the 4 year bullshit rugby cycle continues. If we have learnt anything from this tournament is that building for the 4 years is totally pointless - only performances at the world cup will see you through.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Well I'm all ready, I think it will be a close game one score in it but, Wales inability to close tight games will be the difference, OZ know how to win close games we dont ,So this one to you December will be ours,

I also don't think we have enough muscle to subdue your forwards, I'm off to make a bacon sandwich see you later, may the best team on this day win.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)

You cant discard some of your best players because they wont be there in 2015, a team evolves through time, experience cant be bought this is a ridicules statment if he did say it and saying it before a very important test is not the management that takes a team on to better things.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I actually wrote to the sports editor noting the problem and received an email from Wayne a little while ago. His unedited version (which he sent to me) includes an additional paragraph in which he discusses the sparsity of back line moves and attributes G&GR with the analysis. He notes that one attribution per article is probably sufficient. Highly commendable from Wayne, I have to say, and I rescind my comments wholeheartedly. His subby, though, needs to show a little more care.

Feel free to customise this. Credit must come where it is due. Sub-Editor deserves a rocket.

Should this be sent? I don't really read the other regional and interstate papers but think with minor changes, it could apply to others apart from Grumbles Growden.

Dear Sir/Madam,

There are a number of rugby supporters in this country. I am one of them. Apparently the recent Rugby World Cup semi final broke Australian Pay TV sports watching records.

Rhetorically I am wondering how much you pay your Chief Rugby Correspondent, including airfares, accommodation meals and per diem costs while he is overseas or “on tour”. I do not expect that you will share this information with me, however I have done a fair amount of business travel. Assuming that you are picking up the tab for this for your Chief Rugby Correspondent, then I have a fair idea how much this is. I also assume that he is a full time member of your staff, although he may be a contractor paid by the column inch. Doesn't really matter. There is a cost there for you which is most likely not simple pocket money.

In my humble opinion, I feel that you are probably not getting value for your money from your investment in salaries and allowances in this regard. The average report is little more than tittle tattle “back of the bike sheds” gossip, much of it completely unfounded, unresearched and bordering on libelous. Other reports could be considered as rehashed press releases from ARU or Waratah headquarters. Match reports are frequently simple narratives of parts of the game, with little or no genuine analysis of the game, strategy, tactics, or performances.

I have recently stumbled on a resource that provides everything you would ever need and more from a Chief Rugby Correspondent, and a full department of cadet rugby reporters. What’s more they have almost unlimited coverage across the rugby globe, and can call on intelligent, articulate, witty and objective rugby loving correspondents following the Wallabies on Tour when necessary.

This resource is also not unknown to you as I note you have copied from it in the past, belatedly crediting the source only after one of its number recognised the uncredited plagerism.

This resource is Green and Gold Rugby (Greenandgoldrugby.com). To the best of my knowledge it runs on the smell of an oily rag, with most of work being done by volunteers purely for the love of the game. On this website/blog, there is an absolute cornicopia of rugby analysis, interesting articles and commentary of a quality that far exceeds what is available in not only your fine newspaper, but all conventional mainstream rugby media in this country.

I would recommend that you get your finance department to examine how much you currently spend on your Rugby Correspondents, and then have a discussion with Green and Gold Rugby with a view to subcontracting them to provide the column inches you have set aside for Rugby. I suspect that you would be significantly better off financially and journalistically.

Yours etc

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Sharpie gets to lead the Wobs on to the oval. He better get more recognition than that.

Well done Sharpie from all the Jarses.

Edit: Good to see Dingo singing our anthem from the Coaches Box.

4 minutes gone. GIVE UP ON THE BOOING - NZers. Very poor form.

Sharpies knee is possible f*cked. 100th game may not be for too much longer? 5 min.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really hope New Zealand don't host another world cup for a long time...

The constant Quade booing is just fucking pathetic from the Kiwis...

Status
Not open for further replies.