• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yes I think your right in a lot of what you say; but the timing of the replacements I think will be critical.

Think Harry Johnson-Holmes on at the 32 min, then Valetini and Swinton on between the 50th to 60 min. I wouldn't start Valetini, not good enough at the line-out and we want to dominate them (if possible) for at least the first half.

I think Stewart hasn't struggled thus far, but his execution has not been of his high standard. I have not doubt he will improve.

From what you have said, you think (like me), it will be close. I think our bench is only weak in the front row (as we have a hooker covering). Think all the rest of the reserves I've named above bring different skills to the starters and are competent footballers.

As all English sides I think they will use pressure from the box kick, however I think our guys in the back 3 (our 7's trio) will have that more than covered.

I am a big fan of Stewart, he just needs to settle a little. I am confident he will get it right, this is the 3rd game, so the nerves should of settled a little and hopefully hit a comfort zone.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Ok by Picks for the Round:

Wales by 15
Scotland by 10
NZ by PLENTY
SA by 9
France by 12 &
Australia by 6.

That will give us:

Pool A: Aust 14, England 12, Wales 6 & Samoa 1
Pool B: NZ 15, Scotland 11, Italy 5 & Ireland 3
Pool C: SA 13, France 11, Argentina 6 & Georgia 1.

Semi Finals

NZ v England &
Australia v SA.

(Still don't like the format, but will just have to live with it for now).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
But the Reds had McIntyre and Mason as the U20s No 10s in intervening years and the hype was that both of them were the best in the country and would in short time be rusted on Wallabies. Neither has yet shown that they can grow into the adult game, and I suspect Stewart will be in the same boat.

It is not just a Reds' thing. The U20s coaching staff also had the same opinion of the three players. There is a problem across the board in Aus rugby where they are entranced by No 10s who look pretty in their play but who really don't have the skills to go on from there to be successful at Super Rugby level. There must be a better system for identifying good No 10 prospects. The current system simply isn't working.

I tried to make clear I didn't think it was a reds thing.
As a matter of interest what are the skills a 10 requires to get beyond school or under age competition?

Norfolk & Chance

Peter Burge (5)
Don't know about that. econd row; definitely in the team but a impact replacement.

Anderson 7 doesn't have the skill level of wright, needs to impose himself on the field; don't know where I would put him, if at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put Anderson in the centres. As a 7 he spends plenty of time out there. I think it is a position that would really suit him, his defense is good, he reads the game well, he has speed and good hands.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Put Anderson in the centres. As a 7 he spends plenty of time out there. I think it is a position that would really suit him, his defense is good, he reads the game well, he has speed and good hands.

Even though I'm sure he is a good rugby player, I don't think we can risk it at this stage. In addition I don't think he makes a clear enough argument against the 23 I have named above.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Even though I'm sure he is a good rugby player, I don't think we can risk it at this stage. In addition I don't think he makes a clear enough argument against the 23 I have named above.
He didn't have much impact in the game and I wouldn't be experimenting with him in the backline we have enough pace there.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I tried to make clear I didn't think it was a reds thing.
As a matter of interest what are the skills a 10 requires to get beyond school or under age competition?

Well for a competent #10 you need:

* The ability to kick both short and long and possibly with both feet. This ability is further extended when you have the ability to see the opposition back line out of position and kick it to touch (hopefully deep in their half);
* The ability to give structure to the back line and effectively communicate what the next play is;
* The ability to take passes (even crappy one's) and deliver passes to the inside centre (and also cut-out passes) to his back line on the front foot;
* An ability to form a "conduit" for supporting the play and not letting it break down (this is done in conjunction with the back row). An extension of this is if he can win a break down from time to time (but not necessary).
* The ability to run at the line without fear nor favour and lastly
* The ability to tackle a #8 close to the ruck;

Of course it is assumed that you are a smart rugby player and can read the game to carry all these "abilities" out to your best. If your a good or very good #10 you will exhibit these abilities regularly in most of your games.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
But the Reds had McIntyre and Mason as the U20s No 10s in intervening years and the hype was that both of them were the best in the country and would in short time be rusted on Wallabies. Neither has yet shown that they can grow into the adult game, and I suspect Stewart will be in the same boat.

It is not just a Reds' thing. The U20s coaching staff also had the same opinion of the three players. There is a problem across the board in Aus rugby where they are entranced by No 10s who look pretty in their play but who really don't have the skills to go on from there to be successful at Super Rugby level. There must be a better system for identifying good No 10 prospects. The current system simply isn't working.

In this professional era, some #10's need time. I think that Stewart is the better of McIntyre and Mason. It is fairly obvious that you have not seen too much of him. I have watched him for the last 4 years and whilst I think (depending on development) that he is a #12, I have no doubt he is the best #10 in Australian junior rugby.

The system is the system, you gotta play with the cards that you are dealt. In Queensland rugby (u20's/Prem Colts) Stewart is the best we have. There are a few others, but they are still in development, injured or are not as good as he is at this stage. In the other states (looking at u20's super series) I think the ACT (not Jooste) is good but always injured and the WA fellow was good, but small. So he's the best. End of story.

How he develops is dependent on guidance he gets, how he further develops physically and his opportunities and injuries.

T

TOCC

An Aus U20s player in a year (if uninjured) plays 4-5 Super 20s games, 2-3 warm-up test matches or the equivalent in Super games, 3-5 U20 WC games, 3-6 Super or club 1st XV games, and then 7-9 NRC games in a year.

They play plenty of good football.

Nah, that's only if you're in the starting XV..
Scott Malola, Australia's second best U20s hooker has only played 40mins of rugby union in the past 3 months.. just process that...

Australias starting 5/8, Hamish Stewart has played 6 games of rugby in as many months, he missed the Oceania Cup to sit on the bench for the Reds.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nah, that's only if you're in the starting XV..
Scott Malola, Australia's second best U20s hooker has only played 40mins of rugby union in the past 3 months.. just process that.

Australias starting 5/8, Hamish Stewart has played 6 games of rugby in as many months, he missed the Oceania Cup to sit on the bench for the Reds.

Jordy Uelese only played one of the warm up tests. If Malola wasn't playing, who was?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Efi Maafu Played both the Fiji and Samoa test. Jordan played against the Kiwi's. Tom Lawton I do remember was in there somewhere, but not as good as Jordan and Efi.

Thought so.

So at this point he's played 4 Super 20s games, 2 warm-up test matches, no doubt 2-3 warm up games for the Super 20s, and 1 U20 WC game.

That's if he played no club football in Perth (and I think he would've if uninjured).

For here he's got the rest of the club season and the NRC if he's good enough. He'll get through the season with 15-20 games (which is the right number and what people SHOULD be playing).

Things aren't as bad as they seem, the way the Aus 20s are run is way better than it used to be.

T

TOCC

Thought so.

So at this point he's played 4 Super 20s games, 2 warm-up test matches, no doubt 2-3 warm up games for the Super 20s, and 1 U20 WC game.

He hasn't played in the U20 JWC and he only received a total of 40mins rugby in those warm up matches(Oceania cup). His last full game of rugby was the 19th March.. it's simply not good enough, the system is broken to allow this to occur, JWC suits the northern hemisphere due to time frame, but doesn't suit Australias Rugby calendar, and Malolo is evidence of this. Players get better playing rugby, not holding tackling bags:

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thought so.

That's if he played no club football in Perth (and I think he would've if uninjured).

For here he's got the rest of the club season and the NRC if he's good enough. He'll get through the season with 15-20 games (which is the right number and what people SHOULD be playing).

Things aren't as bad as they seem, the way the Aus 20s are run is way better than it used to be.

Unless i am not understanding you that means he should be ready by about September

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Efi Maafu Played both the Fiji and Samoa test. Jordan played against the Kiwi's. Tom Lawton I do remember was in there somewhere, but not as good as Jordan and Efi.
Think you mean Tom Horton.

IMO he is very good. Doesn't lack any skill just lacks a bit of size. Very mobile, and got a great throw.

If he can find a few kegs he will kick on and play at very high level.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Think you mean Tom Horton.

IMO he is very good. Doesn't lack any skill just lacks a bit of size. Very mobile, and got a great throw.

If he can find a few kegs he will kick on and play at very high level.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Yes slip of the mind; it would be more than ok if it was tom Lawton

Status
Not open for further replies.