• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can Samo go like crazy for an entire half? I'd be more inclined to drag him after about half an hour and give Higgers a crack just before the break.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd prefer that than swapping them at HT. Swapping players at HT seems like a waste to me, they're feeling refreshed and have a lot more energy, rather tell them to go full out for the next 5-10 mins and look to get a real impact and then sub them.

I often find the toughest part of a game is from 25-35 mins in the 1st half for some reason.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Dare I say it? Go Wallabies! Resume your line up talk, nothing to see here.

Line up actually looking better, how long since Shipperley has played though? That is the back line I picked for the first test actually. For this week I would have benched Barnes quite frankly, he was just terrible last week (and possibly Piri impersonator Beale). Forwards will go alright I think, well I hope anyway. Hopefully it's a battle royale in the forwards, soften them up for us will you please?

W

What2040

To me Higgers was a bit of a shock. Don't think Samo is up to 20mins of real hard stuff. And KB (Kurtley Beale) is just crazy - talented yeah and all that blah blah but the bloke is out of form ( for whatever reasons) - IMO just sends a bad message that even if you underperform you still get the nod

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Barnes was the best 10 available for the Wales series and played really well.

He deserved to retain that position for the first Bledisloe and his only bad game has been the second Bledisloe.

Horne was as good a selection as any. 13 is a problem position in Australia and no one was crying out for selection. Horne has been solid in every test. At least he has defended well.

Barnes had a good Welsh series from a goal kicking point of view. The writing was on the wall after the Welsh series that that backline was not going to be anywhere near good enough to put enough points on the All Blacks to win. 99% of people on this forum could see it, but Deans couldn't. The lack of communication, the lack of accurate passing, the poor execution, the poor and aimless kicking, the poor ball handling, lack of direction all followed the Wallaby backs into the games against the All Blacks. There was zero excuse for what we saw from our backs against the All Blacks, they had enough game time and training to time to hone their combinations, and didn't.
We basically picked the Waratah backline, with the inlcusion of two creative players, another batshit boring player and chose to select the best 13 at 15/14, over players who had outstanding seasons in those positions. We got exactly what 99% people predicted and deserved, Waratahs in Gold and lessons in Rugby. In some ways, losing the Welsh series could have been the best thing for the Wallabies, it would have meant the deadwood would have had to be chopped out, .

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
My take on the team is that it is excellent, obviously we're playing against a small, not very structured forward pack that will be easily accounted for and with all the backs we'll be running in tries aplenty.

End of sarcasm
-------------------------------

What type of alternate universe are the selectors living in? Without a backup lock and Samo in the team I worry we are going the be short of forwards for 80 minutes.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Finally, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and Shipperellie on the wing, now lets keep that for the next few seasons.

Must say I'm still suprised at Higgers being dropped, but I won't go into it again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Barnes had a good Welsh series from a goal kicking point of view. The writing was on the wall after the Welsh series that that backline was not going to be anywhere near good enough to put enough points on the All Blacks to win. 99% of people on this forum could see it, but Deans couldn't. The lack of communication, the lack of accurate passing, the poor execution, the poor and aimless kicking, the poor ball handling, lack of direction all followed the Wallaby backs into the games against the All Blacks. There was zero excuse for what we saw from our backs against the All Blacks, they had enough game time and training to time to hone their combinations, and didn't.
We basically picked the Waratah backline, with the inlcusion of two creative players, another batshit boring player and chose to select the best 13 at 15/14, over players who had outstanding seasons in those positions. We got exactly what 99% people predicted and deserved, Waratahs in Gold and lessons in Rugby. In some ways, losing the Welsh series could have been the best thing for the Wallabies, it would have meant the deadwood would have had to be chopped out, .

Our forwards were outclassed across the park by the All Blacks as well.

You're kidding if you think that any combination of players we could have put on the park were going to beat the All Blacks.

How many times have a team of debutants beaten the World Cup winning All Blacks?

Do you really think a team of (I'm speculating what you'd have picked)

Holmes
Moore
Slipper
Sharpe
Simmons
Higginbotham
Pocock
Schatz
Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Tapuai
Ashley-Cooper
Shipperley
Beale

would have challenged the All Blacks?

Whilst it is obviously an exercise in hypotheticals, I'm pretty sure a team that might have been in some pretty decent form in Super Rugby would have got its arse handed to it by the All Blacks.

As maligned as Robbie Deans is, if he'd taken the team that beat Wales 3-0 and said, this backline is all wrong, we need to get rid of 4-5 players and start again, he should have been fired on the spot.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Our forwards were outclassed across the park by the All Blacks as well.

You're kidding if you think that any combination of players we could have put on the park were going to beat the All Blacks.

How many times have a team of debutants beaten the World Cup winning All Blacks?

Do you really think a team of (I'm speculating what you'd have picked)

Holmes
Moore
Slipper
Sharpe
Simmons
Higginbotham
Pocock
Schatz
Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Tapuai
Ashley-Cooper
Shipperley
Beale

Whilst it is obviously an exercise in hypotheticals, I'm pretty sure a team that might have been in some pretty decent form in Super Rugby would have got its arse handed to it by the All Blacks.

As maligned as Robbie Deans is, if he'd taken the team that beat Wales 3-0 and said, this backline is all wrong, we need to get rid of 4-5 players and start again, he should have been fired on the spot.

I probably would have had robinson in place of holmes. I'm not sold on Schatz either and although I was critical of his selection at the time, with the benefit of hindsight, I would have had Timani over Simmons as well.

But on the whole I think that team would have given the all blacks a better run for their money than the side we put out did. No doubt about it.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
In regards to this weekends team. I would have started Slipper, and dennis v higgers is a margin call. But on the whole it looks like a team that could win the game.

Deans is gambling with his bench, lets hope it pays off.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Holmes
Moore
Slipper
Sharpe
Simmons
Higginbotham
Pocock
Schatz
Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Tapuai
Ashley-Cooper
Shipperley
Beale

Actually, that isn't that bad. Might not have beaten the ABs, but would have performed better than what we have dished up so far.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Some serious reverse psychology there, Paarl.

Even without the Battleship, your mob should still be competitive enough to keep the score respectible.
Oh so you assume a victory for the Wallabies, just a question of by how much?

Right then. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.