• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 2 New Zealand vs Australia - 25 August

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiggles

but this thread says that Dennis was rubbish as well apparently.

and I think Alexander will be picked at THP

The entire backrow was let down by the utter shit dished up by the tight 5. They can't be expected to play both tight 5 and loose forward roles. He may be a Tah, but Dennis is a keeper.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Your pack was bitch-slapped. It was in the handling errors of the Abs which meant you didn't lose by more. Wake up.
FWIW, I think your pack will go better his week, they have to.
By what measure?
The score?
The yardage gained?
Turnovers won?
Lineouts or scrums won?
Don't give me the vibe, that only works for a marginal win. If they were as dominant as you say it would scream out in all the stats of the match.
The AB's have dropped more ball in bigger wins in the past.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Crap. In today's SMH article, Michael Hooper is mouthing the usual words heard before an Eden Park game:

'There's no preconceived ideas … It's just another park to us, and that's the way we're treating it,'' Hooper said yesterday."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/hooper-faces-ultimate-test-as-woes-continue-20120821-24kmx.html#ixzz24F4DCGrR

I hope someone points out to him that, even though he may not believe in the Eden Park hoodoo, the Kiwis do. I tire of the Wallabies turning up for "just another" test match in Auckland, only to discover the All Blacks aren't treating that way.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So they didn't dominate the scrum, the lineout, the score or yardage gained, but an unquoted stat on % over ad line might prove your point?
All I have been saying is that the statistics do not back up these statements of total domination of our pack.
It appears to me that most peoples perceptions of the performance is significantly worse than the actual performance.
Not saying they played good,or matched the AB's, just the stats don't back up most peoples impressions.
I think that is unusual.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Crap. In today's SMH article, Michael Hooper is mouthing the usual words heard before an Eden Park game:

'There's no preconceived ideas … It's just another park to us, and that's the way we're treating it,'' Hooper said yesterday."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/hooper-faces-ultimate-test-as-woes-continue-20120821-24kmx.html#ixzz24F4DCGrR

I hope someone points out to him that, even though he may not believe in the Eden Park hoodoo, the Kiwis do. I tire of the Wallabies turning up for "just another" test match in Auckland, only to discover the All Blacks aren't treating that way.

What's Hooper meant to say?

"Yes, there is a hoodoo. We talk about it almost constantly and it's played a massive part in our match preparation. I also heard it's haunted by the ghost of Collin Meads. What? He's still alive? News to me."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Professional sport these days involves players engaging with the media.

They have daily press conferences etc. where this happens.

Players like Hooper are put into those press conferences because there is heightened interest around him due to him coming in for the injured Pocock.

What don't people get about this? It is how our rugby team and indeed every other sport engages with the media and in turn the public.

Should Hooper sit at the press conference and then say "No comment." every time he is asked a question?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tried to pick a team for this week but it could be a combination of many things.

Props: I'd bring slipper into cover Kepu at THP. The other option is to bring Benny A back in but he's too much of a liability at scrum time (I hope this doesn't happen).

Hookers: I'd start with Moore, TPN to the bench (although I'd not overly concerned if the opposite occurs).

Locks: Sharpie and T-Money. I don't want to make too many changes.

Loosies: Move Higgers back to 6, Samo can start at 8, Hooper at 7. I know this will be controversial but I think if we're going to win this one we need to make an impact with the forwards early on. Both Samo and Hooper have a great ability to get over the advantage line. Dennis to the bench, Higgers to 8 later in the game if Samo is tiring.

Scrummie: Genia. Phipps still on bench.

Flyhalf: Have to bring Quade in if we want to win this.

12: Berrick. Ant to bench or out of the 22 if JOC (James O'Connor) is back.

13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to come off the wing and back into his best position. If Mitchell isn't good enough to start a game he shouldn't be on the bench, Shippers is (pardon the pun) waiting in the wings. Also If JOC (James O'Connor) is back he can go to the wing.

Wingers: Diggers on one. Mitchell/JOC (James O'Connor)/Shippers on the other.

FB: Beale. Show some faith, can't change everyone.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So they didn't dominate the scrum, the lineout, the score or yardage gained, but an unquoted stat on % over ad line might prove your point?
All I have been saying is that the statistics do not back up these statements of total domination of our pack.
It appears to me that most peoples perceptions of the performance is significantly worse than the actual performance.
Not saying they played good,or matched the AB's, just the stats don't back up most peoples impressions.
I think that is unusual.

My view is the ABs edged the scrum and lineout, but dominated the breakdown and the contact area.

As far as yardage is concerned, the ABs made around the same, but with something like 30% less no. of runs. I think we made the advantage like something like 55% of the time, while the ABs did it over 70% of the time.

Those are enough stats to say we were dominated, but I don't need stats to tell me what my own eyes (and everyone else's) saw.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Tried to pick a team for this week but it could be a combination of many things.

Props: I'd bring slipper into cover Kepu at LHP even though he's (IMO) a better THP. The other option is to bring Benny A back in but he's too much of a liability at scrum time (I hope this doesn't happen).

Kepu was playing THP.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Those are enough stats to say we were dominated, but I don't need stats to tell me what my own eyes (and everyone else's) saw.

There's probably two separate arguments here. One that we were "bitch slapped" I think the term used said ie dominated. And the second that we were never in the game.

We were most certainly dominated yet we were still in the game.

W

What2040

Props: I'd bring slipper into cover Kepu at THP. The other option is to bring Benny A back in but he's too much of a liability at scrum time (I hope this doesn't happen).

Hookers: I'd start with Moore, TPN to the bench (although I'd not overly concerned if the opposite occurs).

Locks: Sharpie and T-Money. I don't want to make too many changes.

Loosies: Move Higgers back to 6, Samo can start at 8, Hooper at 7. I know this will be controversial but I think if we're going to win this one we need to make an impact with the forwards early on. Both Samo and Hooper have a great ability to get over the advantage line. Dennis to the bench, Higgers to 8 later in the game if Samo is tiring.

Scrummie: Genia. Phipps still on bench.

Flyhalf: Have to bring Quade in if we want to win this.

12: Berrick. Ant to bench or out of the 22 if JOC (James O'Connor) is back.

13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to come off the wing and back into his best position. If Mitchell isn't good enough to start a game he shouldn't be on the bench, Shippers is (pardon the pun) waiting in the wings. Also If JOC (James O'Connor) is back he can go to the wing.

Wingers: Diggers on one. Mitchell/JOC (James O'Connor)/Shippers on the other.

FB: Beale. Show some faith, can't change everyone.

BUT Beale should be dropped, the first one - also sends a message to all about performance (for whatever reason)

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The lack of fitness of the Tahs forwards is showing and is a liability. I would bite the bullet and replace some of them. You can't do anything much with conditioning in one week and while players are recovering from the last match.

While losing Pocock is a worry, the far bigger concern is losing Kepu. Not because of his play on the weekend, but because it opens the door for Alexander. The only prop to play looser than Higginbotham. Beale should go to the bench IMHO, not just the mistakes but the lack of zip, his irritation at Sharpe getting the try rather than giving the ball to him and his apparent lack of remorse after the match.

1. Holmes (better LHP than Slipper and covers both sides, anyone but Alexander)
2. Moore (toss of the coin between Moore and TPN but fitness is the decider)
3. Slipper (I would keep Kepu if not injured, can cover both sides, not a great scrumagger but better than Alexander)
4. Sharpe (our best lineout tactician but he still gets isolated too often and has a real talent for falling the wrong way in the tackle and losing the ball)
5. Douglas (we need a TH lock and he is better than Timani, told to play tight and try to be first or second to the breakdown to clear out for Hooper)
6. Dennis (also told to play tight and try to be first or second to the breakdown to clear out for Hooper)
7. Hooper
8. Higginbotham (needs to be told to play tighter in the first couple of phases and then head wider once there is some momentum)
9. Genia (told to pass it quickly unless there is absolutely nobody there, the other players have to up the tempo rather than Genia slow down the tempo for their benefit)
10. Cooper (prone to go into his shell but our best option with his long passing game and lack of passing game in the centres)
11. Ioane
12. Fainga'a (but only until McCabe is back)
13. Ashley-Cooper (not really a winger and Horne needs more experience at lower levels)
14. Mitchell (if he's fit, start him, if not then club rugby, when in form he is as devastating as Ioane in a different way)
15. Barnes (reasonably solid defender and would do better with his tactical game with more time at the back, question marks about the high ball as he doesn't seem to have much of a leap?)

16. Polota-Nau
17. Robinson
18. Timani
19. Samo
20. Gill (make sure he gets a decent amount of game time)
21. Phipps (come back Burgo!)
21. Harris
22. Beale

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think we should drop players for one bad game.

I don't think kneejerk reactions to a poor performance in any sport have been successful.

You have to pick the players you think will do the best job and go with them. Players should only be replaced after they have consistently struggled for form.

Dropping someone to 'send a message to all about performance' suggests that players play badly because they don't try hard enough or don't care. I don't think that is the case at all.

T

TOCC

I don't think we should drop players for one bad game.

I don't think kneejerk reactions to a poor performance in any sport have been successful.

You have to pick the players you think will do the best job and go with them. Players should only be replaced after they have consistently struggled for form.

Dropping someone to 'send a message to all about performance' suggests that players play badly because they don't try hard enough or don't care. I don't think that is the case at all.

BH, in all due respect the writing was on the wall following the Wales/Scotland test series...
Our lack of forward dominance and more significantly our inability to score tries against the Welsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.