• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If a U20 Rugby Championship isn't a viable option then maybe they could look at running a 2 game U19 series against NZ around the Senior tests, to give these players some international experience. It wouldn't cost too much to organise and I think it would have a huge benefit to the squad for the following year.
Part of the issue is that these teams seem to be a bit like the Aust Cricket team, where it's harder to get out than in. If a player isn't up to it then don't pick him in the future, unless he shows you something to indicate his form has changed.
I do like the idea of a U20 state/franchise comp. It could be held early each year and would give more players exposure at a higher level. They could even run a U20 National Champs if that would be an easier/cheaper option.

ru1906

Frank Row (1)
Perspective

The Irb Junior World Champioships is a tough tournament.

These 336 young men (twelve (12) teams with twenty-eight (28) player roster) are only 19 and 20 years old, are all outstanding athletes and rugby players for their age group and are required to play five (5) international test matches with only four days between kick-off to kick-off i.e. five matches in nineteen (19) days, often in conditions they are not accustom to.

There are many variables that need to be considered when conducting any critical analysis of a team's performance at the Irb Junior World Championship.

Have a close look in the archives of the Irb Junior World Championship noting the players, pools, match results, play-off matches and rankings. Other than New Zealand, it is very difficult tournament to predict results from year to year, team to team. For ease here are the 2010 and 2011 final rankings:-

2010 FINAL STANDINGS
1. New Zealand
2. Australia
3. South Africa
4. England
5. France
6. Argentina
7. Wales
8. Fiji
9. Ireland
10. Scotland
11. Tonga
12. Samoa (Relegated to IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy 2011)

2011 FINAL STANDINGS
1 New Zealand
2 England
3 Australia
4 France
5 South Africa
6 Fiji
7 Wales
8 Ireland
9 Argentina
10 Scotland
11 Italy
12 Tonga (Relegated to IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy 2012)

Great tournament, perfect preparation for young men wanting to step up to the next level but may need some slight changes to the format to make it better and more balanced.

Go the Young Wallabies!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Apologies for the ignorance I'm about to showcase, but I haven't had the chance to follow the tournament.

A few people have made this point about slow wingers - so I was just wondering what happened to this Chris F'Sautia kid we hear so much about? He hasn't looked too slow in the snippets of him I've seen.

He has been playing outside centre, and I thought he was thoroughly outplayed by his opposite number vs France.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If a U20 Rugby Championship isn't a viable option then maybe they could look at running a 2 game U19 series against NZ around the Senior tests, to give these players some international experience. It wouldn't cost too much to organise and I think it would have a huge benefit to the squad for the following year.
Part of the issue is that these teams seem to be a bit like the Aust Cricket team, where it's harder to get out than in. If a player isn't up to it then don't pick him in the future, unless he shows you something to indicate his form has changed.
I do like the idea of a U20 state/franchise comp. It could be held early each year and would give more players exposure at a higher level. They could even run a U20 National Champs if that would be an easier/cheaper option.

I've long been calling for an trans-tasman u20 comp based on the 10 super rugby teams. It would spread the elite talent pool much wider and provide a clear pathway.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I've long been calling for an trans-tasman u20 comp based on the 10 super rugby teams. It would spread the elite talent pool much wider and provide a clear pathway.
Agree that a younger version of the comp would be beneficial.
Building off that idea, it would probably be impractical and cost prohibitive to run it at U20 level as many of the players wouldn't be full time players and time off work/travel etc would be an issue. Super clubs couldn't afford the salaries either.We seem to be straining to fill 5 Super teams in Oz with quality players and U20 would be even more difficult.
Learning from Rugby League's mistake at going too young with their Toyota Cup U20, maybe we could run a smaller scale 2 group comp at say U23 level.
A similar concept was played at U19 level between 4 Provinces (I think) back in 2005......NSW, QLD, Canterbury and 1 other NZ team and some of today's Wallabies took part.
Each team had 2 away and 2 home games.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Is the Australia on Fox tonight

Bastards at Fox Programming. We only get to see the Little Darknesses v Apprentice Coal Miners (12:50 - 3:06) and the Junior Saffers vs the rg's (3:06- 5:30).

The Jarses are acquainted with one of the Aust based Samoans and have not been able to watch any of their games. The closest we got was to record the Soap Dodgers vs Little Italy which was advertised as a Samoa Game against the Little Darknesses. In hindsight, given the scoreline, probs best that we didn't see get to see it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's unfortunate Fox are not showing Australia but the blame should go to Nucifora for losing us the game against France and Argentina. Fox secured the rights to specific games before the tournament and they expected us to be in the semis and not the 5th playoff games.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bastards at Fox Programming. We only get to see the Little Darknesses v Apprentice Coal Miners (12:50 - 3:06) and the Junior Saffers vs the rg's (3:06- 5:30).

The Jarses are acquainted with one of the Aust based Samoans and have not been able to watch any of their games. The closest we got was to record the Soap Dodgers vs Little Italy which was advertised as a Samoa Game against the Little Darknesses. In hindsight, given the scoreline, probs best that we didn't see get to see it.

http://www.supersport.com/video/playLive.aspx?ids=28731&retunUrl=/video/playLive.aspx?ids=28731

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Good luck, lads.

FRANCE : Martin – Domvo, Fuster, Fickou, Artru – (FH) Selponi, (SH) Escande – Château (cap), Laugel, Kazubek – Jedrasiak, Chauveau – Cotet, Carbou, Fresia
Subs : Fidinde, Poirot, Vartanov, Gayraud, Quiniou, Laranjeira, Danty, Galletier

AUSTRALIA : Frisby – Dargaville, Foley, Faalavaau, Crook – (FH) Godwin, (Sh) Lucas – Cusack, Gill (cap), Melrose – Jeffries, Reiser – Makin, Roach, Paraka
Subs : Ngauamo, Latu, Ala'alatoa, McMahon, Merriman, Latunipulu, Seuteni, Cummins

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree that a younger version of the comp would be beneficial.
Building off that idea, it would probably be impractical and cost prohibitive to run it at U20 level as many of the players wouldn't be full time players and time off work/travel etc would be an issue. Super clubs couldn't afford the salaries either.We seem to be straining to fill 5 Super teams in Oz with quality players and U20 would be even more difficult.
Learning from Rugby League's mistake at going too young with their Toyota Cup U20, maybe we could run a smaller scale 2 group comp at say U23 level.
A similar concept was played at U19 level between 4 Provinces (I think) back in 2005..NSW, QLD, Canterbury and 1 other NZ team and some of today's Wallabies took part.
Each team had 2 away and 2 home games.

I actually think U21 would be better as it would mean the players get a bit more time to develop. Lots of good players get glossed over because they are too small at 17/18/19, but by the time they are 21 they are just as good as the blokes that were running over them a few years ago. Maybe make it U21 for all players except the tight 5, who are allowed to be a year older?

I think there are enough good young players around to fill 5 teams.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's just embarrassing, why is kicking not taken seriously here? He doesn't even have any other skills to excuse his kicking.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's just disgraceful kicking, seriously not acceptable at this level. I've seen better kickers in u15s.

Status
Not open for further replies.