• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
32 mins in.. NZ still down 5-0.. Dominating possession but struggling to get in behind an aggressive and really physical Fijian defense; NZ certainly can't seem to get around it.

They're playing shamefully. Spreading it wing to wing without earning any go forward ball. Fiji are committing no one to the rucks which is why the have the width of the field defended. The forward pack look like they've never played together before (and they may well not have).

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
NZ attempts to go wide are bordering on the ridiculous.. they havent earned the right.. need to be more direct upfront but Fiji have been magnificent.

NZ 7-5 up

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Half time NZ 7 (courtesy of a penalty try) Fiji 5...Fiji a bloke in sin bin...

Arm wrestle in the Poms v Saffies match...3 nil to Poms half time too

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well Saffers are making a real go of this now up by 8 and 2 tries. If they get 4 tries or win >7 they go through I think.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SA need just need 1 more try to go through. Didn't give them a chance but they've hit back strongly here.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We're playing France again in the 5th playoff. Same as last year, let's hope for a similar bounce back.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Similar to the fact NZ is playing Wales...ooh er, I'd rather fake an injury than to play in the Welsh team!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That was a disappointing effort from the Oz boys who we wanted to do well, but we would have been salivating about some of the French fellows if they had gold jerseys on. Unfortunately they were better man for man in nearly all positions. The Aussies all tried their best but only Gill would have made the French team for sure.

It was hard to judge the Oz players in the trial at Rat Park and the easy Scotland game - and even in the mud game against Argentina, but cruel reality set in when France finished all over them and one had to shake one's head and as a rugby fan, just enjoy the manner in which they scored their tries.

There were a lot of reasons why the Aussies weren't good enough but they included:

- a very light scrum and short lineout

- missing breakout tackles and not realigning adequately afterwards

- slow wingers, who were not wingers, outpaced by French attackers or caught easily by defenders, and a srumhalf who had a poor game.

- no answer to French up and in defence, often because of slowed ball and therefore losing time and space.

- not matching the French in how they turned Oz ball into scrappy ball.

- playing too light and being a step behind what the French were doing

- inexperience (half the squad is back next year)

- starting and finishing the game poorly

But the main reason was the excellence of the French players. Every player in the squad is connected with a French pro team and they looked better physical specimens, in the main and were more advanced in footie know how - whereas the Aussies seemed to be learning on the job. Maybe the French weren't that hot in their first two games but they hit their straps today.

8. Chateau looked like Zinzan, as the commentators said, and he is likely a future test player - and there's even another star no.8 who is younger, teenager Galland of Stade Francais, yet to come.

The back three players Martin and Fuster would make Super coaches in Oz drool and I thought hooker Fidindie is another who has a big future.

There's not a lot of good to write about the Oz players though I loved the way they fought back and got to 7-14 down at oranges. Then came the decision at 60 minutes not to take a penalty from in front to be only 4 points down - and the rest is history.

Well done France. I haven't yet watched the other two games on TV and not read the posts above to read a spoiler; so don't know who is going through. I would like the French to be the 4th team in, though it's likely not. But if they get in and play as well as they did against Oz they would have a shot.

Bill McLean (32)
Australia's performance at this Junior World Cup has really exposed us as a nation for the lack of numbers we have playing junior rugby moving into the colts program.

Correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that the Sydney competition has only 3 grades?

I know it's sound cliche'd, but back in my day (which wasn't so long ago in the early 90's) the Sydney colts competition was over flowing with numbers.

I played for Western Suburbs as it was then known and we had 5 competitive grades. I even remember Eastwood and Randwick having up to 6 and 7 (which played in subbies if my memory serves me correctly).

As far as competitiveness goes, Australia was very dominant and regularly beat the NZ Colts (even with Jonah Lomu in their team)!

Thoughts anyone?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Thoughts anyone?

What's the incentive for our elite schoolboys to move onto colts post school, when they can readily secure a paid U20s contract in the NRL junior competition. NRL has set up their Toyota Cup as a colts age catchment, AFL has developed a stronghold in junior schools, and Rugby hasn't changed a thing. Their ARU Academy seems to have been a flop too, with all the injury crisis' with clubs this year, was any of the Academy used as it was intended? Seemed each club just went out and sourced their own.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Seeding after pools
PositionTeam
1 Wales
2 Argentina
3 South Africa
4 New Zealand
5 France
6 Ireland
7 England
8 Australia
9 Fiji
10 Scotland
11 Italy
12 Samoa

That is a pretty sad effort from Australia. To manage their only points against Scotland and finish that low on the table is ultimatley pathetic. Changes need to happen in the coaching staff and the general structure of age grade rugby.

I have mentioned this before as has another poster (qwerty?), but there is a simple solution to this and that is having an u20's side from each state (or a QLD, NSW, ACT and Combined) and play as the curtain raiser to Super Rugby fixtures. Half these players do nothing but train for half the season before their respective Premier competitions start.

On another note, well done Argentina, along with Wales, I know who I'll be cheering for in these matches. Would really like to see anyone but NZ win to be honest.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
What does this U20s debacle do for Nuci's coaching record?

He was a senior assistant coach to Deans in the RWC and coached large parts of those plays. He coached all the recent Australia A games (e.g. v England at home 2010), and the mid-week EOY away games, and last year's JWC U20s, yes? [He's a Wallaby selector as well, and decides with RD which players get ARU top ups and how much they get.] Clearly, the ARU has much faith in Nuci.

We know he aspires to beat Link to the next Wallabies head coach role - how are his credentials lining up?

Bill McLean (32)
What does this U20s debacle do for Nuci's coaching record?

He was a senior assistant coach to Deans in the RWC and coached large parts of those plays. He coached all the recent Australia A games (e.g. v England at home 2010), and the mid-week EOY away games, and last year's JWC U20s, yes? [He's a Wallaby selector as well, and decides with RD which players get ARU top ups and how much they get.] Clearly, the ARU has much faith in Nuci.

We know he aspires to beat Link to the next Wallabies head coach role - how are his credentials lining up?

They aren't!

Bill McLean (32)
Seeding after pools
PositionTeam
1 Wales
2 Argentina
3 South Africa
4 New Zealand
5 France
6 Ireland
7 England
8 Australia
9 Fiji
10 Scotland
11 Italy
12 Samoa

That is a pretty sad effort from Australia. To manage their only points against Scotland and finish that low on the table is ultimatley pathetic. Changes need to happen in the coaching staff and the general structure of age grade rugby.

I have mentioned this before as has another poster (qwerty?), but there is a simple solution to this and that is having an u20's side from each state (or a QLD, NSW, ACT and Combined) and play as the curtain raiser to Super Rugby fixtures. Half these players do nothing but train for half the season before their respective Premier competitions start.

On another note, well done Argentina, along with Wales, I know who I'll be cheering for in these matches. Would really like to see anyone but NZ win to be honest.

That ranking table doesn't half give anyone a reality check! A Scary proposition indeed.

I wonder what Anthony Eddy will do with the above mentioned analysis? Something drastic I hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.