• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
JWC isnt just about playing
SARugby
JWC 2012 teams visit legacy schools

June 06, 2012
The IRB Junior World Championship 2012 is about more than just what happens on the field in the 30 matches with a key priority being to leave a lasting legacy in the host country, something the 12 participating teams are involved in by visiting local schools in the Cape Peninsula.
With the purpose of raising awareness and introducing the Game to non-rugby environments, the teams at JWC 2012 have each been assigned a school which they will visit three times during the course of the tournament.
Many of the teams made their first visits on Tuesday, giving them the chance to meet the students and to familiarise themselves with the environment in which they will be holding coaching clinics in the visits to come.
Tournament host, South Africa, visited Darul Arqam High School in Mitchell’s Plain, where the team received a wonderful reception on their arrival and also participated in a cultural programme. SA Under-20 Team Manager, Jonathan Mokuena, described the team visit as “something special.”
“I don’t think the players realised how much rugby means to these communities. For those 80 odd minutes the team spent with the kids, they could live rugby,” said Mokuena.
Nazeem Adams, the SA U20 assistant-coach, said the players were humbled by the experience. “I use to teach in this area and it is great to see how the school used sport and especially rugby to give the kids direction in life. You could see the principles in rugby such as discipline and teamwork are all at work here. The players had a great time during and are looking forward to the next legacy visit.”
France were one of the teams taking part in Legacy actitives and the students of Gugulethu Comprehensive High School quickly lifted the spirits of the players after the disappointments of losing 18-15 to Argentina in their opening match on Monday.
The players were welcomed by a lively choir and enthusiastic students of a school which is situated in the second largest township in Cape Town. Gugulethu High School takes great pride in its scare resources and made up for its bare infrastructure with the cheerful vibe of its students.
After an exchange of national anthems, in which the students gave the best rendition, the French players were soon being swept along by the African tunes and joined in with the dancing.
Humbling experience for England
Coming face to face with the conditions the teenagers of the area live in was an eye-opening experience for the French players who all said they couldn't wait for the next visit to the school and to finally playing some rugby with the students.
Mathieu Brauge, the team's media manager, was very impressed with the entertainment offered and told the school that “the first game in the JWC we win, will be dedicate it to you and hopefully it will come on Friday.”
Another school receiving a visit from one of the Under 20 teams was Symphony High School in Belhar, who welcomed some England players into their assembly before getting the opportunity to meet them and get some autographs of the future stars of world rugby.
The English players were then introduced to the school’s rugby team who they will be training with and also offered then some gifts in exchange for the warm welcome they had received.
Tommy Bell, who was handed the microphone to speak during the assembly, was amazed by the experience.
“It was a massively humbling experience for all the guys, we didn’t know what to expect but it was just great to see so many smiling and happy kids. But it goes to show that rugby is a universal language and for us to give up an hour or so of our time signing autographs and posing for pictures is nothing, hopefully it inspired a few of them to give rugby a go.”
Baby Blacks prove a big hit
There were no formalities for the New Zealand players attending Voortrekker High School in Kenilworth as they were treated to a party in the best traditions of Cape Town hospitality. The school's deputy headmistress, Miss Mariette Wagener, said the children were mostly excited about the prospect of meeting players from another country.
“It’s not every day that we have a chance to meet people from other countries, and the excitement has been great ever since we heard that the New Zealand Under 20 team would visit the school. This school has a tradition of a strong rugby culture and we’re very proud of our Springbok De Villiers Visser. We've also produced Springbok Sevens and Junior Boks in the past.”
Team manager, Paul McLaughlan, said he was not surprised by the wonderful reception. “South African hospitality is something we hear about back in our country all the time. It's wonderful that youngsters can swap notes on their customs. It's been overwhelming.”
The next round of Legacy visits are scheduled for Saturday, the day after the next round of IRB Junior World Championship matches, when players will this time share their skills and talent with the rugby teams of the various schools.

The Baby Boks need to score at least 4 tries against to try and stay in the hunt. Expecting Handre Pollard to make his much awaited debut in this one.

Possible team
Marais Schmidt, Tshotsho Mbovane, William Small-Smith, Jan Serfontein, Travis Ismaiel, Handré Pollard, Vian van der Watt, Braam Steyn, Wiaan Liebenberg (k), Khaya Majola, Ruan Botha, Paul Willemse, Steven Kitshoff, Jason Thomas, Oliver Kebble

Small-Smith was Goosen Cheetah captain and he is ready for action. Played SA 7s this year

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Here, Sky offers recording of the 'red button' i.e. viewer's choice when you hit the R button on that program and two viewing options comes up on the screen and you select one...that is, if viewer's choice is offered in the first place, doesn't Fox offer that?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Here, Sky offers recording of the 'red button' i.e. viewer's choice when you hit the R button on that program and two viewing options comes up on the screen and you select one.that is, if viewer's choice is offered in the first place, doesn't Fox offer that?

I don't think you can preset it to record though. The preset will always pick what default program on that channel.

If someone can tell me I'm wrong, I'd love to know!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1 Pettowa Paraka
2 Maile Ngauamo
3 Oli Hoskins
4 Sam Reiser
5 Sam Jeffries
6 Curtis Browning
7 Liam Gill (C)
8 Thomas Cusack
9 Matt Lucas
10 Kyle Godwin
11 Allan Faalavaau
12 Apo Latunipulu
13 Chris Sautia
14 Lindsay Crook
15 UJ Seuteni
16 Hugh Roach
17 Silatolu Latu
18 Jed Holloway
19 Sean McMahon
20 Nicholas Frisby
21 Con Foley
22 Lewis Holland
23 Allan Ala'alatoa

The tight 5 has been rested, not sure about that coming up against Argentina who were quite good in that area against France. Don't want to see a repeat of the France game last year.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That's still a bloody good team, my only question would be UJ @ 15. The bench looks incredibly strong though.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Given the pool structure, we really want to finish the pool stage with 15 points and a whopping for and against. Otherwise we play New Zealand or probably England in the semi. The ideal would be for England and New Zealand to play each other in a semi-final to wear each other out. So we can either hope that the Welsh defence holds New Zealand to less than 4 tries (unlikely) or that they at least don't give up a big +/-. England looked good against Italy, but you'd expect they'll have a much tougher time against the Irish and the South Africans.

Of course that's all getting ahead of things if we don't beat Argentina and France.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Two Easts boys in the starting side! Congratulations UJ and Pettowa, we're proud down at Bottomley!

On another note, Frisby is unlucky, but that really is a strong bench, good options if Argentina look like another upset. I'm interested to see how Crook goes, never seen him play before but have heard big wraps.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I see that 122 kgs THP Ollie Hoskins is starting though he must be short of a gallop. He didn't train when I watched them at Narrabeen, just watching, nor did he play in the trial at Rat Park, nor against Scotland.

For those who don't know him he is from WA but is over in Sydney playing for Manly, and has had the odd game in 1st Grade. He's tall for a THP at 190cms so let's see how he goes.

The LHP Pettowa Paraka has a huge future but he was at school last year and wouldn't have the strength of Latu who looked like a future star against Scotland. Paraka's Oz Schools team mate from last year, Maile Ngauama is hooking. He's younger that the combative Roach and will be 2nd string, but is also rugged and arguably more skilful. The contrast will be interesting.

There is another contrast in the 2nd row: stringbean Sam Reiser is teamed with big bopper mystery man Sam Jeffries. Let's see what the Sam J. fuss is all about. The backrow is the best that Oz can offer. There wouldn't be too many better in the tournament methinks.

It's odds on that the scrum with a couple of young front rowers, a tall THP and a string bean lock, won't be as effective as the one against Scotland, but everybody has to get a start, counting the trial.

The backline is the same as against Scotland except that UJS replaces Frisby at fullback and Crook, a likely starter in the finals if they go through, replaces Dargaville on the wing. I thought that UJS had an unfortunate game in the 15 jersey in the trial and was looking forward to seeing him start at flyhalf.

Although CFS played centre and wing in his school days and was actually named as a centre in the squad, it is only his retention at 13 in this 2nd match that signals to me that he will play there all the time in the tournament. The Reds mafia will be watching his every move.

This works against Allan F starting in his Oz Schools position of outside centre; so he is on the wing again. Although he doesn't have a wingers top end pace he brought his brilliant step into effect against Scotland and could cement a wing spot in this match for the money games. I've never seen him play 12, but he looks like a natural for it. With all the other fellows being played out of position this could have been a good test to see if he provides an alternative to Apo.

Holland and McMahon (at 17, the youngest in the team) will make their first appearance, trial included, from the bench. If he is fit Holland should start at fullback. Odd. These two plus 3rd string scrummie, Merriman, will be the only ones who haven't started a game.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
He is a big boy he was the colt of the year last year in the wa comp and has been training with the force full time since the start of the preseason last year. Hopefully a future wa star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Shorter than Carl Hayman, who would have to rate as one of the best tighthead props of the last 10 years.

Yes he was - and one of the best lineout lifters of all time, but I was just warning about possible drawback for a new player at this level. I first saw Ollie in the U/16s at Riverview and he blew me away but he was tall even then and I wondered about how he would scrummage as a tall player, as I do with all tall schools props.

Let's see how he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.