• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The council gets all the cash from entry, car parking & even the fucking canteen, as part of the lease.
Rats do get to keep any funds from raffle tickets they sell I think, but that would be all.

The treatment the Rats get at the hands of Pittwater Council is really disgraceful: they're the only club which doesn't have some sort of tenure at their home ground. The poor bastards don't get a cent from anything sold at Rat Park (Lee, does the club have a Functions Licence for parties at that back room?), entrance tickets, pies, coffee, the lot, all go to the council. That's why Rat Park doesn't get allocated finals matches, even though it's not a shared ground and has lots of parking. The bit which sticks in rugby supporters' craws is the fact rugby supporters, John Denoon et al, built the ground with minimal support from the council.

It's difficult to fathom why Pittwater Council are so bloody-minded about rugby folk enjoying their sport at Pittwater Rugby Park.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
lee don't get me wrong in no way do I see this is a poor reflection on the rats and if they publicized it might even give them a chance to generate some (from what I hear) sorely needed funds.

The Rats don't get the gate receipts for their club matches; so they wouldn't get it for this match. They don't have to pay for use of the ground though.

The game is going to be on at 4pm Friday at Rat Park.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Rats don't get the gate receipts for their club matches; so they wouldn't get it for this match. They don't have to pay for use of the ground though.

The game is going to be on at 4pm Friday at Rat Park.

I'll be there and I'll buy as many raffle tickets as I can...jump the gate and not pay for parking.
I might have to have a pie so i can bag Growden for his taste in pies - maybe I'll boost it....

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Watched the team train this afternoon. They seem to be no better or worse than lads from other years, but how can you tell? We will have a better idea after the match tomorrow.

Nucifora is very good with these young fellows and with his booming voice one was able to hear what he said, even though the rain was hammering off the umbrella sometimes.

Apart from the technical side of things he spent a bit of time talking about how they should think before and during the match, and every match they play in. Their minds should be prepared so that when something did happen their minds were ready for it and reaction would therefore be a split second earlier.

Moreover they should work on pro-action: doing preparatory movements in case something unexpected did happen because every now and then they did. They had to get minds and bodies used to taking the main chance in every moment because they never knew when it would come.

He warned about the effect on a team's performance of the lazy thinking of a mind poorly prepared.

No great regard should be paid to the team named tomorrow for the trial as Super players like Gill, CFS and Frisby won't be playing and some marginal starting players have to be trialled anyway. Cusack was training at 8 and Browning at 6 but that could change in 24 hours.

Was impressed by the 2011 Oz Schoolboys front row of 1. Paraka 2. Ngauamo and 3. Allan A at training. They could start in the trial game. Paraka has an incredible build and was influential in the 'test' against NZ Schools last year. Their full impact will come in 2013 but some of the three could be a force this year.

Talking about build: I've seen Allan F play at the ground a couple of times and a bit on TV with the 7s, but you don't appreciate how tiny he is unless you are standing near him; nuggety though.

I hope nothing happens to Beau Robinson as it will probably mean that the Reds will want Gill to stay home - and there is nobody remotely close to him in the squad. And let's hope that CFS stays healthy in the hamstring area. After seeing him get a stint against the Lions I think folks will realise now what some of us have been raving about in the last 3 years on the Schools forum.

I note that Alex Northam has joined the group to cover for injuries; also another player I didn't recognise (but was probably Sean Cox - Matt Lucas didn't train).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Nucifora is very good with these young fellows and with his booming voice one was able to hear what he said, even though the rain was hammering off the umbrella sometimes.

Moreover they should work on pro-action: doing preparatory movements in case something unexpected did happen because every now and then they did. They had to get minds and bodies used to taking the main chance in every moment because they never knew when it would come.

He warned about the effect on a team's performance of the lazy thinking of a mind poorly prepared.

This is interesting but actually on the training field? Its a bit deep and I'm not sure it actually makes sense...but then I always did tend to tune out from coaches making these kind of perorations....

Reminded me of donald rumsfeld's "known unknowns and unkown unknowns" - you might be able to prepare to deal with "expected unexpecteds" but how do you get proactive in relation to "unexpected unexpecteds" without over committing to the wrong unexpected.....

No wonder Auckland didn't follow him into no man's land

R

rugbyfan

Was strange seeing Samoa being such a small team, it was evident in their set piece as they were getting shown up in scrums and line outs; I even recall a few tight heads by the Aussie pack.

The back with the white headgear I believe he may have been 12 or reserve outside back was a very strong ball runner today, also being solid in defence. Probably would have been my man of the match

Jeffries was strong when he came on, with some good touches; also the 8 for Aus was very mobile, and will be a good player in SA looking like he can play the entire back row.

Samoa let Aus in their faces too much, there was no flare by anyone apart from probably their 5, who was big and mobile. Even when Samoa had 2 consecutive tries off an intercept and a line break they showed they didn't want it enough.

The Aus 10 was strong with a great passing game to his outside backs and knowledge of when to try options and when to play safe and just build phases.

Crook looked out of sorts in defence, sometimes pushing up and creating odds for Samoa to breach, he was strong on attack though and always looks switched on when carrying the ball and placing the ball for the 9 to pick up quickly.

Overall, I think that Aus will need to work a lot more on their structure and phase play if they want to compete against dominant nations such as NZ, they honestly should have beaten Samoa by 50+ today.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The team they used today included players who are not in the squad that is touring. 9. J. Merriman, 9. T.Donlan, 12. S.Cox and 15. A. Northam - at least those are the positions they played in.

They all played pretty well too: I thought Merriman got nabbed too often clearing the ball from the scrum and ruck and that Donlan looked snappier in the 4th quarter (on his home ground). Cox had some good runs including one through a yawning gap to set up a try but some of his passes were badly presented.

Northam had some gliding runs that set up his supports but wasn't tested much as a custodian.

The full team (and positions they played in) was:

1. P. Paraka
2. H. Roach
3. A. Allalatoa
4. J. Holloway (also 8)
5. S. Cummins
6. C. Browning (capt)
7. B. Melrose
8. T.Cusack
9. J. Merriman
10. K. Godwin
11. J. Dargaville !!
12. A. Latinupulu
13. C. Foley
14. L. Crook
15. UJ Seuteni

16 (2) M. Ngauamo
17 (1) S. Latu
18 (THL) S Jeffries
19 (LHL and 6) S. Reiser
20 (9) T. Donlan
21 (12) S. Cox
22 (13) A. Fa'ala'avua
23 (3) L. Makin
- (15) A. Northam

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Oz 55 - Samoa 12 [Half time 17-12]
(I think, but am more confident that it was 9 tries to 2)

The Oz team had trouble in the first half converting their possession and territory into points. They got ahead with a maul try but then Samoa nabbed a 75 metre intercept try much to the whooping of their supporters.

That perked them up and at about 25 minutes they got into Oz territory for the first time (not counting the intercept) with a long break against which Oz was caught narrow, scrambling. Samoa whipped the ball wide and scored a fine try after the 2nd phase - 12-7 to Samoa.

That was the high point for the visitors and their charming supporters because Oz scored 7 more tries after that.

But the first half was dire for Oz. Before oranges the backs lacked cohesion due to a mixture of poor decisions, unfamiliarity with team mates, poor passing and a lack of quality. They lacked X factor entirely. It was better in the 2nd half though.

Overall the Oz forwards won good ball, the lineouts were good, with the odd crook throw, and the scrums dominant. About the only negative thing for the forwards that recurred during the match was running into contact too high. I counted 3 times that they lost the ball when Samoa applied the choker hold in the maul and got a scrum. Every team will be trying this in the tournament; so they had better get a strategy so the choke doesn't start.

There were probably more than 3 successful Samoa chokes, and there were definitely more close calls. Once the choke was bypassed the mauls were very good and they did latching moves better than any Oz team I have ever seen including the Super players. You know: a guys gets the ball and a team mate latches on from behind and this pod with maybe another bloke joining acts like a snowplow through defenders. They're weren't enough good Samoa mauls to judge maul defence.

In all: it was a better effort than I expected from the 2012 Oz U/20 team after seeing the Oz U/19 team play last year, taking everything into account - which is too boring to catalogue.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jeffries was strong when he came on, with some good touches;

The selection of Sam Jeffries is quite an interesting story. He was a promising sprint swimmer at Brisbane’s Nudgee College when its then Director of Rugby, Todd Dammers, persuaded him to shift his sporting focus to rugby. He spent the 2009 season playing for the Nudgee 2nd XV as his main focus was striving to put weight on his lanky frame.. When he left school at the end of the year he weighed just 89kg at a height of 196cm.

When Todd Louden and Todd Dammers were recruited from the Ricoh Club in Tokyo to coach at Sydney Uni, Dammers identified Jeffries as his highest priority to recruit. At the time Sam was playing Colts for Brisbane Brothers. Last season he had major problems with groin and shoulder injuries, playing only a handful of games. He resumed playing only a couple of weeks ago, being selected for the Under 20s after David Nucifora and Anthony Eddy had watched him play for just 20 minutes. He now weighs a lean 120kg and stands 201cm. One of his major assets is a very aggressive playing style. This week I wrote an article describing his rehab program:

http://myoquip.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/groin-injury-rehab-using-myothrusta.html

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Talking about the Oz players only:

Front Row
2. Roach was like a balloon that was let go because he was fizzing around all the time, and over and through. It was a lot better than his churlish, shocker performance for the Oz U/19 team last year. He can't be far off getting a Super EPS gig.

We can't judge the scrummaging until we see them play against a real scrum, but all the props had a fine game otherwise. Once Allan A knocked two guys over guarding their ruck ball and Roach was able to pounce on it.

I hadn't seem 3. Makin since school and forgot how he played then anyway, but he can shift people. He's even got a step on him and runs square to defenders with the ball ready to be passed.

I'd never seen 1. Latu before and had to look him up in a club programme from April. He was the LHP for the Sydney Uni Twos, but he is a hard-head worker and not out of place in an Oz U/20 team. Like Roach 1. Paraka was a bit like the energiser bunny.

Second Row
I can't really split these guys seeing them perform against the team they played. They all looked the goods.

I was impressed by another player I hadn't seen before: Sam Jeffries of Sydney Uni. He's a real bolter: I read that he weighed in at 89kgs (and was 196kgs) when he was in the Nudgee College Twos in 2009 but under the Uni S&C programme, and despite groin injuries, he is now at 120kgs (and 202cms). More importantly he is a TH lock, the ones that pack in the scrum behind the THP and sort opponents out, like Brad Thorn.

Jed Holloway is going to be a good asset for the team. He is uncompromising enough but also plays 8 pretty well - especially getting the ball out of the scrum.

Back Row
I always said that Browning should be a no.8 as a senior player and I'm getting closer to my wish because he was the 6 (of the Dave Dennis type) and there's a bit of Schalk Burger in him when he has the ball in traffic too.

Cusack was outstanding at 8 and arguably the MOTM. This fellow has Super Rugby written all over him. He's hard, skilful and he can shift. 7 Melrose is not really an openside: I remember him as a 6 or 2nd rower at Kings, but he is obviously the backup to Gill. He worked all day, but is nowhere near the quality of the Reds player, though not too many would be in this age group.

Halves
I mentioned scrummies Merriman and Donlan in an earlier post, and as not being in the touring group. M.Lucas didn't train yesterday and didn't play today so he must have a knock. Either he or Frisby will no doubt help to perk the back line up as it needs something.

Godwin, from WA, was assured at 10 today, but it was only later in the game that he made any threatening runs to keep tacklers honest for his outside men or inside men. He made enough inside passes, but in their ineffectual 1st half Oz didn't really make any inroads in the transition area between the breakdown, or scrum, and the backs.

He looks the man for the job, but UJS will have to have a game there to compare.

Centres
Not a great area for this team though 13. Alan F, the Oz 7s stepper, and the ineligible Cox perked things up when they appeared in the 2nd half. Allan is a small person but he plays tough and can make a half break in the tackle (and off load) from nothing much.

Perhaps Allan F should play 12 and CFS 13 to get a bit of juice into the midfield. 13 Hingano didn't play and wouldn't have helped much anyway. 12 Apo L didn't distinguish himself in the 1st half, but 13 Foley from the Oz 7s looked very good.

Back Three
The first half was average at its best. I last saw Dargaville as a 6 or 8 at school but I heard he was playing 12 for Sydney Uni Colts this year. It was a bit much to expect him to make a bird of playing 11 for Oz U/20s.

UJS played fullback. In my first look at him it appeared that he hasn't worn the 15 jersey a lot. He was good enough running with the pill, but he looked like he was learning positional play on the job and didn't do winger Crook any favours a couple of times. Northam, who is not eligible, was better after oranges.

Holland, another from Oz 7s, didn't play but he will be the fullback in the money games of the tournament.

Not counting Sevens on TV, I've seen Crook about 6 times and it's the first occasion I've seen him get any pill - in the 2nd half. He did enough today to put his hand up to start for the Ones, but the other wing spot is a problem if CFS goes to 13 as I suggested earlier; so maybe he has to stay on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.