• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Australia vs New Zealand - 20 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Why would there be? No one over here could give a shit that he plays for Australia. Most don't even have the first idea who he is.
Wouldn't even have to be Harris kicking, to be fair. The last few Bleds that I've attended at Suncorp have unfortunately been well punctuated by booing Kiwi's whenever the Aussie kicker has lined up. One of my pet peeves, and I hope it doesn't happen.

Nothing against kiwi's by the way, just making a general observation about the evolving population mix here. It constantly amazes me how many All Black supporters are in the crowd at Bledisloe Cup matches.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Why would there be? No one over here could give a shit that he plays for Australia. Most don't even have the first idea who he is.

Why? Because every time I go to Lang Park to watch a game involving a Kiwi team the feral amongst your countrymen (and that is the majority here) make sure that everybody knows they're there loud & clear, by booing when the home kicker is going for goal, amongst other forms of poor sportmanship.

Doesn't matter who is kicking or how well they know the player.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
It's not my beer but they pay their money and they can support their team whatever way they want. Cheering/booing is part of it. I want to enjoy my rugby matches in a passionate atmosphere and for baying home crowds to intimidate visiting players while mingling with opposition fans on friendly terms.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Back to the actual game.

If there was ever a time a team could be too relaxed going into a game of intensity, this must surely be it for NZ.. They are talking records, of celebrating teammates' milestones, their normally incredibly focussed captain is doing media appearances to promote his book, and there is talk of players honoring the family members of the NZ coaching staff, and their media continues go sing their praises while dismissing their opponents chances. Moreover, the opposition is greatly weakened through injury and new combinations have yet to bed while their coaching staff is being nearly ridiculed by one "star" player and former players whisper of unhappininess in the camp.

Christ, it really is made for a subpar NZ performance, or one certainly lacking in the requisite intensity. NZ didn't show up for the 2nd Test against Ireland and only some ridiculous officiating decisions at the death spared them. This is one sport in which your mind must be fully switched on to perform - being relaxed doesn't figure into it.

Has this NZ team got a weak spot that can be exploited? They are a fabulous rugby team that has grown since they killed, ate and shit out the monkey that was had its claws deep into their back at the RWC. But complacency can be any sides undoing.

As the game approaches, I'm feeling good about this. Another beer please!

B

BloodDRed

Back to the actual game.

If there was ever a time a team could be too relaxed going into a game of intensity, this must surely be it for NZ.. They are talking records, of celebrating teammates' milestones, their normally incredibly focussed captain is doing media appearances to promote his book, and there is talk of players honoring the family members of the NZ coaching staff, and their media continues go sing their praises while dismissing their opponents chances. Moreover, the opposition is greatly weakened through injury and new combinations have yet to bed while their coaching staff is being nearly ridiculed by one "star" player and former players whisper of unhappininess in the camp.

Christ, it really is made for a subpar NZ performance, or one certainly lacking in the requisite intensity. NZ didn't show up for the 2nd Test against Ireland and only some ridiculous officiating decisions at the death spared them. This is one sport in which your mind must be fully switched on to perform - being relaxed doesn't figure into it.

As the game approaches, I'm feeling good about this. Another beer please!

Can I rephrase that?
"Was ever a time for a more focused team than these all blacks? They potentially have records to create, team mates milestones and the ultimate motivation of honouring the dead. The opposition through injury and poor selections has had no consistency of combinations and has only had one convincing win this year. The opposition coaching staff has been suspected of being unprepared and incapable of coaching the type of game necessary to overcome the ABs, a fact painfully revealed by the most imaginative attacking player in the nation at the cost of public ridicule and outcry."

Not feeling good about it. Keep the beers coming until all I can see is darkness.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Why? Because every time I go to Lang Park to watch a game involving a Kiwi team the feral amongst your countrymen (and that is the majority here) make sure that everybody knows they're there loud & clear, by booing when the home kicker is going for goal, amongst other forms of poor sportmanship.

Doesn't matter who is kicking or how well they know the player.

There's nothing quite like hearing on the television an "All Blacks" chant reverberate around Suncorp Stadium. It barely happens in home matches let alone another teams "fortress". As for the booing, as bad and as er.. un-gentlemanly it is, it's all pretty harmless. I don't like it of course but there are far worse things spectators can, have and will do. Don't think about sitting high and mighty about well behaved crowds mind you. Sure, Kiwi rugby crowds are "cultured" and while Australian rugby supporters might be 'well bred' they're the aluminium frame in a glass house, so to speak.

As for the game, when you look at the two line ups, it's difficult to see anything other than a victory for the All Blacks. That injury list is just too insane and is polarized by the All Blacks stability and continuity. I'd like to say that if the Wallabies made a terrific start and got some early points it might lift them, I can't though. This AB team is a slightly different breed to years past, if things are not working for them they don't get frazzled, they just keep belting away or slightly alter the game plan. Last year the Wallabies stretched to a huge first half lead and still almost lost. If they do it this year I think they will still probably lose.

All that said, nothing in life is a certainty, taxes are sacrificially avoidable and death comes after life by the way. There is a chance, small as it may be.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That is a terrible article.
Agree. Hard to comprehend how they can spin a team celebrating a rare victory over their biggest rivals, the #1 team in the world, who have generally had the wood on them for a decade long run into a negative response and lack of respect (that old chestnut that gets trotted out by countless Kiwi coaches and scribes). Of course they whoop and holler when they beat the ABs. As for the post-match beers, who's to say the Wallabies didn't invite the ABs in at some time and they declined. How would any of us know? How does the author know the details of the circumstances? This guff that the ABs are the ultimate ambassadors and keepers of the code and honour of rugby is too much.
And keep in mind, I'm having a go at the author, not the ABs.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, it smacks of an insularity and chip on the shoulder of some portions of the Kiwi rugby press. I have to say that I greatly enjoyed my rugby tourism over in NZ last year and met many friendly and knowledgeable local fans. Some of the journos, like our cricket press, have an incredibly patronising attitude though.

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
Yep, it smacks of an insularity and chip on the shoulder of some portions of the Kiwi rugby press. I have to say that I greatly enjoyed my rugby tourism over in NZ last year and met many friendly and knowledgeable local fans. Some of the journos, like our cricket press, have an incredibly patronising attitude though.

Had a lovely time in New Zealand last year although many insults hurled at us and we had to stop wearing Wallabies gear in public the majority of the people we encountered were simply greatful that we were there soaking up the atmosphere.

The Kiwi press are an absolute disgrace, how they treat Australian's is done in a way which is insulting and contemptful. If anything the New Zealand press should take delight in the fact that we celebrate when we win. It is afterall like beating Brazil in soccer. It is quite a feat and worthy of a celebration.

Onto the game. The Wallabies will be lucky to get points on the board tonight. We have a referee who favours the All Blacks playing style so I'm not expecting too much. The good thing about this game for me is that I can see a Wallabies loss coming so I won't be too bitter or annoyed. Really expecting a wipe out tonight. All Blacks by 15.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Had a lovely time in New Zealand last year although many insults hurled at us and we had to stop wearing Wallabies gear in public the majority of the people we encountered were simply greatful that we were there soaking up the atmosphere..

This! When we lost the Semi final, the fans on the train were all pleasant but the second we got into the Auckland CBD it was an absolute nightmare.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Of course Lior, glad to see you got blame the ref in early:confused: I take it you won't bother even bother watching the game with so much being stacked against wallabies?? I really never ceased to be amazed..........

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Yes we have some winkwonkers in our press corps,and we have some who are fair minded as well. It's a matter of sifting the wheat from the chaff and the game is still the main event. I'm expecting the Wallabies to have a red hot go tonight, and why not. On paper we look to be too strong, but it's not over til the fat lady sings.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Of course Lior, glad to see you got blame the ref in early:confused: I take it you won't bother even bother watching the game with so much being stacked against wallabies?? I really never ceased to be amazed....

Fancy that, someone on a rugby forum makes an observation about a ref. If that's all it takes to amaze you, you are in for an interesting life.

I agree that Joubert's style favours the ABs AND that he's in the top 3 refs going around. Amazing!!!

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Sure Scarf:rolleyes: Funny I don't often see in here that a ref favours Wallabies style.
Actually on game itself, I tend to agree with what Justin Marshall said at lunch I was at yesterday, Wallabies have nothing to lose ,so maybe the shackles will be released and they could give it a red hot go.

Status
Not open for further replies.