• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2011 Wallaby And Australia A Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting teams everyone, but I thought we all agreed after last year that if QC (Quade Cooper) is our fly half we need berrick at 12

Reactions: Ham

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
From my end its almost impossible to write a reply to any post you make because its not really what you think, its just stirring the pot.

Nonsense. I was a bit naughty in putting a few young blokes before incumbents for effect. But I revealed the merk straight away:

I wanted to encourage some new thoughts, but would like to see JOC (James O'Connor) and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12 and 13, in reality. I put Cummins name up because he can do the job at 13 with his running speed, strength and size (I'd like to see Stirling at his peak form and pace too).

Harris is a viable option at 12 and he is a genuine goal kicker, an asset that is too often under-rated. But O'Connor is the better choice with the ball in hand in normal play - He should earn that spot

Went for a 5-2 bench. Not totally convinced by Higgenbum, TBH, but he has shown some potential. With his speed and size (and his seagulling experience) he might even be able to do a job out wide.

Fair enough, you missed it and followed up with your queries. No harm done.

Lighten up, mate.

Part of the reason I put these names up was to see how impassioned and insistent people were about their selections being better. There are differences of opinions. The players I named are a small chance of being selected but it's not impossible. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make the squad. The tests are three months away and plenty can happen.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Im not going to post up a whole squad, as Id be happy with many combination. But also unhappy with many.

The few players i would definitly have in my team have got to be
TPN, Pocock, Sharpe, Genia, Cooper, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Digby, Mitchell, Palu

The front row for me is also Robinson, TPN, Slipper or Kepu. I think alexander deserves to be dropped to the bench (or even out of the match 22).

For Australia A Id go with the new guns in:
Vaea, C.Fainga or Hooper, Harris, Davies, Lealiifano, To'omua, J.Saffy.

Some players i love and wouldnt mind seeing in the wallabies like Gerrard, Beau Robinson, Higgers, Phipps, A. Fainga, Lealifano. All great players but im not sure where they would fit in. Breaks my heart.

Players I wouldnt mind seeing out of the squad: Alexander, Mumm, Chisolmn, Brown.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Sorry for what is no doubt an extremely ignorant question (I'm living o/s and am a bit out of the loop), but is an Australia A team actually being formed and given an extended run this year?

Or are the Australia A thoughts just hypothetical?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Amazing consensus developing here. I love 10. Cooper 12. JOC (James O'Connor) in attack, but that's pretty terrifying in defense. Does anyone really wanna see what happens when Carter and SBW run at those two? Likely to get ugly fast.

Anyway, either we have some serious groupthink going here at G&GR or the selection conundrums for the Wallabies are few and far between. It will be very interesting to see who Dingo picks.

T

Thomas

I can see why people want TPN over Moore but I still believe TPN would be an awesome impact player to bring on in the second half. Moore is the consistent player who gets the hard stuff done when everyone is freash and on equal levels then when every is fatiguing bring TPN and he would have a huge advantage with his hard hitting and ball carries.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Interesting teams everyone, but I thought we all agreed after last year that if QC (Quade Cooper) is our fly half we need berrick at 12

and richo
let quade defend from fullback and have kurtley defend the 10 channel> with pocock providing ectra cover that is adequate. its not ideal but quades defense from fullback is alright. oconner can get the long ball out for counter attack

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
and richo
let quade defend from fullback and have kurtley defend the 10 channel> with pocock providing ectra cover that is adequate. its not ideal but quades defense from fullback is alright. oconner can get the long ball out for counter attack

None of which fits with the game plan and style that Deans plays. Look at the Coaching and Tactics thread. If Barnes is broken expect Giteau back at 12. JOC (James O'Connor) will be on the wing again in all likelyhood.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It will certainly give us a clearer picture, HG, but will Fainga'a be playing 12? My comment was very specifically in relation to who is the better 12? I have my own opinion as to who is the better footballer but that is not the point at issue.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I've always been a Tom Carter sceptic but he's been highly effective for the Tahs this year, continually troubling the defensive line with powerful straight running and providing extremely solid defence. I think he is well ahead of Anthony Fainga'a on form this year. But he is still too slow for the Wallabies' ensemble game.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Jay-C, I don't think your defensive switching will work. I get hiding Cooper at fullback, but I'd rather have someone who can actually make a tackle back there to stop tries. Besides, Kurtley is a good enough (and improving!) defender at fullback but I don't think he has anywhere near the same chops at 10. Gnostic is right -- if it's not Berrick at 12, it'll be Giteau. And if he keeps playing the way he is this year, we won't have too much to complain about.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While I think that Quade defending at 15 works for the Reds I don't think it is a viable option for the Wallabies as one of the reasons that Kurtley played so well last year was because of his kick returns. He has the long passing game and speed to bother opposition teams and take advantage of opposition defencive weaknesses. The one advantage Quade has at Wallaby level is Pocock at 7 who does a lot of work.

One of the things I am liking about the teams being put up here are the guuys being left out that used to be mentioned because there was no other option.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jay-C, I don't think your defensive switching will work. I get hiding Cooper at fullback, but I'd rather have someone who can actually make a tackle back there to stop tries. Besides, Kurtley is a good enough (and improving!) defender at fullback but I don't think he has anywhere near the same chops at 10. Gnostic is right -- if it's not Berrick at 12, it'll be Giteau. And if he keeps playing the way he is this year, we won't have too much to complain about.

The way Giteau has been playing the past few weeks at inside centre he would be ahead of Barnes for the position...

Of course, JOC (James O'Connor) has been better than both...

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I agree re Gits. Which I find shocking - in a good way.

JOC (James O'Connor) has been better... but he's played 5/8 and 15, not 12. Also, Gits is a world-class defender at 12, which I think we've established is kind of important outside the turnstile.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree re Gits. Which I find shocking - in a good way.

JOC (James O'Connor) has been better... but he's played 5/8 and 15, not 12. Also, Gits is a world-class defender at 12, which I think we've established is kind of important outside the turnstile.

JOC (James O'Connor) was at 12 last week?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unfortunately I don't think it's going to matter too much who plays at 12 from a defensive perspective, simply because whoever plays there is still going to have to cover Quade's missed tackles... inevitably opening up gaps in our defensive line...

For all his attacking brilliance, Cooper is just plain shit in defence and it's a big concern going into the World Cup...

We can't be leaking a try for every try we do score...

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
While I think that Quade defending at 15 works for the Reds I don't think it is a viable option for the Wallabies as one of the reasons that Kurtley played so well last year was because of his kick returns. He has the long passing game and speed to bother opposition teams and take advantage of opposition defencive weaknesses. The one advantage Quade has at Wallaby level is Pocock at 7 who does a lot.

It also works to have QC (Quade Cooper) defend at 15 as he takes the high ball well and defines the Reds tactics on receipt of possession. His tactics and his tactical kicking have been very good. It isn't just a matter of hiding, hes an asset there, esp for the reds. That may or may not be the case for the wobs.

This is creeping into gaffers thread on coaching tactics (sorry gaffer, new tablet, swype doesn't like your name)

Status
Not open for further replies.