• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2011 Wallaby And Australia A Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I would much rather have Fainga'a in my team than Tom Carter... He is faster, hits harder, passes (slightly more) and I would hazard a guess that he has made more metres in 2011 as well...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I would much rather have Fainga'a in my team than Tom Carter... He is faster, hits harder, passes (slightly more) and I would hazard a guess that he has made more metres in 2011 as well...

As much as I don't like Carter, I wouldn't take that bet. I also don't like A. Finger's propensity to charge up out of the line leaving a gap. He has done this much less this year, so maybe he has been told.

I dislike the two play maker system, so I would be happy just to have a decent 12 fill the spot.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bruce did not say he would make the Wallabies. He said Carter was substantially better than Ant Fainga'a, a point with which I agree. I expect neither will make the wallabies this year, there are too many better and more favoured players in front of them.

But aren't we discussing Wallaby selections essentially? And A Finger is a "current" Wallaby isn't he.

BTW I don't think either will make it this year in a smaller sized squad for the 3Ns or WC

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Fainga'a vs Carter. Both are hard working reliable players though one has a far better skill set than the other.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
There are a number of serious problems with your team

b4ox3.gif
Hawko, I'm stirring the pot to generate discussion. It might be working! - Hidden away in my posts you will see that I did not really pick Harris and Cummins. I left their names in, with a few others, as a provocation.

I do, however, think they are players to watch. On your points, not in order, I agree with some and disagree with some...
  • Clearly you don't like Burgess. -- Don't rate him.
  • No place for Horne -- He's a good player but he is no way our best 13. Despite AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s form concerns I'd still take him over Horne. I'd take an in-form Mortlock over Horne as well (At his best, I'd want to see Sirling there - as per my other post). I disagree with you on Cummins. He has much better potential than Horne and I see him as possible bench cover for OC and wing.
  • There is no one on the reserves bench who can play 13. D'Oh -- My pick would be Cummins, if Mortlock doesn't make the 15 (If Mortlock is 13 then AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is 22 but I don't think this will happen - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be 13).
  • Michel Harris has played a couple of full games at 12 in Super Rugby and you want to elevate him to 12 over JOC (James O'Connor). Maybe his kicking's better but he is totally untested at this level. Let's see this weekend when he's up against a good defensive 12 - I am assuming if he gets beaten this weekend 1-1 you won't elevate Carter to this spot?

-- You assume right. I am promoting Harris's name as a player to watch but don't realistically expect to see him in the side. You should accept similar about Horne and Carter. :p
  • Hodgson should be the reserve 6/7 in the firsts. His form this year is outstanding, continuing his stellar play for the last two years. -- I think that both the 7 and 6 postions are not as certain as we would hope they would be. Hodgson would be the replacement for Pocock in the run on side if he doesn't come back at full capability in time. Who would replace Rocky at 6 if he remains crocked? McCalman, Samo, Higginbotham, Mowen, Saffy, Dennis, ... ? I like Samo.
  • Despite having a 5:2 bench you have no replacement if Pocock is injured but two replacement 6's. This is seriously unbalanced. -- Agreed, but only if you don't see what I'm playing at...
  • Samo is playing well but he's still a marginal selection for the Reds. You reckon he and Higgers are better than McCalman? -- McCalman is playing great and would fill the position well but Samo is much more aggressive. Higgers has huge potential, which is why I have named him. He needs to build on his performances over the Reds closing season to convince, however, as I posted earlier.
  • Rodney Blake can't win a starting spot at the Rebels but makes Australia A? Just because his nickname is Rodzilla doesn't entitle him to a start; and given that you have Palmer at 3 (with which I agree) you have two potplants in the pack. Everyone else is going to have to work bloody hard to cover. Daley or Alexander would be significantly better, though they are not good enough in the scrum to make the first team.

b4ox3.gif
    -- Agreed on the potplants. I'm hoping that Alexander gets a wakeup call and can improve his scrummaging so that he genuinely claims that spot. Both Alexander and Daley have been found wanting. I put less hope in Daley and don't really rate him at international level. Rodzilla has played well, though, given the chance. He deserves more game time as Melbourne's season moves on, and the Rebels should start to look to Australian interests.
  • Pyle over the season has not out-performed Wykes. --- Maybe. I'd like to see Pyle get a trial at Aus A level this year.
  • Lealiifano?? Not on current form. -- Most Brumbies play has turned to shit, but still I prefer Lilo to Vuna.

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
Prodigy, you've got James Hanson in there twice (bench and Aus A). No love for Moore?

Yeah, sorry about that.... not a huge amount of man-love for Stephen Moore. Think TPN is the best rake in Oz Rugby, and James Hanson is about to break through...... Stephen Moore for Aust A, being a good fit on bench if necessary.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
My two teams.

Wallaby Team:...............Australia A Team:

1. Benn Robinson............1. Ben Daley
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau........2. James Hanson
3. James Slipper.............3. Dan Palmer
4. James Horwill.............4. Sam Wykes
5. Nathan Sharpe............5. Dan Vickerman (c)
6. Rocky Elsom (c)..........6. Jarrod Saffy
7. David Pocock..............7. Matt Hodgson
8. Wycliff Palu................8. Ita Vaea

9. Will Genia..................9. Nick Phipps
10. Quade Cooper...........10. Mike Harris
11. Drew Mitchell............11. Rod Davies
12. James O'Connor.........12. Anthony Fainga'a
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper..13. Nick Cummins
14. Digby Ioane..............14. Pat McCabe
15. Kurtley Beale...,,,,,,,..15. Luke Morahan

16. Stephen Moore..........16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Sekope Kepu.............17. Ben Alexander
18. Rob Simmons............18. Ben Mowen
19. Ben McCalman...........19. Beau Robinson
20. Luke Burgess.............20. Richard Kingi
21. Matt Giteau...............21. Berrick Barnes
22. Mark Gerrard............22. Lachie Turner

* I was debating over who to fill the 'TH' lock space for Australia A and used Vickerman...slightly unsure about that one as I only saw one of his games for the saints.
* I've put Berrick on the bench for A, as his form this season has been average at best and I'm concerned about his long term future.
* Mike Harris named at 10 as I think he's an awesome prospect for an inside back bench position in the Australian team for the future.
* Gerrard to the Australian Bench as I think he's got the experience and pinpoint kicking game to really help close out games. There's enough x-factor in our backline as it is.
* It's been rough not naming a few guys, notably Noodles, Samo, Dennis and Morty. I feel as though the A side is really a development program, thus why I've used a few younger players mixed in with older guys.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
thats a pretty rock solid wallaby team nathan, unsure bout mccabe thou
id have gerrard in there as a-team fullback and morohan on the wing
id have barnes as my ateam 5/8,
and i wouldnt let turner near a gold shirt again
prolly give mortlock another run in the a team too

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, sorry about that.... not a huge amount of man-love for Stephen Moore. Think TPN is the best rake in Oz Rugby, and James Hanson is about to break through...... Stephen Moore for Aust A, being a good fit on bench if necessary.

Agree that Hanson looks set for something good and could force his way into the 22. I still rate Moore as well, though so we should have the hooking position well covered, barring injury.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
thats a pretty rock solid wallaby team nathan, unsure bout mccabe thou
id have gerrard in there as a-team fullback and morohan on the wing
id have barnes as my ateam 5/8,
and i wouldnt let turner near a gold shirt again
prolly give mortlock another run in the a team too

Good point regarding McCabe. I've swapped him for Turner. Also had second thoughts and named Vaea at 8, moving Mowen to cover 4/6/8 and added Robinson to the bench.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Wallabies

1. Ben Alexander
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. James Slipper
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. James Horwill
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. James O'Connor
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Digby Ioane
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Stephen Moore
17. Benn Robinson
18. Rob Simmons
19. Scott Higginbotham
20. Luke Burgess
21. Matt Giteau
22. Rod Davies

Wallabies A

1. Ben Daley
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Dan Palmer
4. Dean Mumm
5. Kane Douglas
6. Matt Hodgson
7. Beau Robinson
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nick Phipps
10. Berrick Barnes
11. Luke Morahan
12. Anthony Fainga'a
13. Rob Horne
14. Lachlan Turner
15. Pat McCabe

16. Ben Whittaker
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Hugh Pyle
19. Leroy Houston
20. Richard Kingi
21. Matt To'omua
22. Peter Hynes

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
My two teams.

Wallaby Team:...............Australia A Team:

1. Benn Robinson............1. Ben Daley
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau........2. James Hanson
3. James Slipper.............3. Dan Palmer
4. James Horwill.............4. Sam Wykes
5. Nathan Sharpe............5. Dan Vickerman (c)
6. Rocky Elsom (c)..........6. Jarrod Saffy
7. David Pocock..............7. Matt Hodgson
8. Wycliff Palu................8. Ita Vaea

9. Will Genia..................9. Nick Phipps
10. Quade Cooper...........10. Mike Harris
11. Drew Mitchell............11. Rod Davies
12. James O'Connor.........12. Anthony Fainga'a
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper..13. Nick Cummins
14. Digby Ioane..............14. Pat McCabe
15. Kurtley Beale...,,,,,,,..15. Luke Morahan

16. Stephen Moore..........16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Sekope Kepu.............17. Ben Alexander
18. Rob Simmons............18. Ben Mowen
19. Ben McCalman...........19. Beau Robinson
20. Luke Burgess.............20. Richard Kingi
21. Matt Giteau...............21. Berrick Barnes
22. Mark Gerrard............22. Lachie Turner

* I was debating over who to fill the 'TH' lock space for Australia A and used Vickerman...slightly unsure about that one as I only saw one of his games for the saints.
* I've put Berrick on the bench for A, as his form this season has been average at best and I'm concerned about his long term future.
* Mike Harris named at 10 as I think he's an awesome prospect for an inside back bench position in the Australian team for the future.
* Gerrard to the Australian Bench as I think he's got the experience and pinpoint kicking game to really help close out games. There's enough x-factor in our backline as it is.
* It's been rough not naming a few guys, notably Samo, Dennis, Robinson and Morty. I feel as though the A side is really a development program, thus why I've used a few younger players mixed in with older guys.

Nathan, I concur with jay-c, that is a very solid Wallaby side. I'd almost put money on 1 through 19 being exactly that on Deans' clipboard at the moment. I don't endorse Burgess, but that's my own bias against him. He'd be in the mix. Giteau will probably be on the bench as his form has been reasonable. Gerrard is possible for the 22 but might not be definite.

This year I think that the A side will be about giving an opportunity to players who have something to contribute to the mix of the squad for the RWC. Provided he has some decent games for the Tahs under his belt, Vickerman would deserve a shot at it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Eh... what?

Moore will most likely start for the Wallabies... at worst he'll be on the bench...

There's daylight separating TPN, Moore and the rest of the hookers in Australia right now...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Eh... what?

Moore will most likely start for the Wallabies... at worst he'll be on the bench...

There's daylight separating TPN, Moore and the rest of the hookers in Australia right now...

As it should be. We're very lucky to have two world-class hookers at the same time.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
b4ox3.gif
Hawko, I'm stirring the pot to generate discussion. It might be working! - Hidden away in my posts you will see that I did not really pick Harris and Cummins. I left their names in, with a few others, as a provocation.

From my end its almost impossible to write a reply to any post you make because its not really what you think, its just stirring the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.