• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2011 RWC - Pool C - Australia, Ireland, Italy, USA, Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
Wtf did lawrence just say to kaplan?
Is their a referee quota for scrum resets?????

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Dumb play there by the Itallians should have used it.

Update: I've actually had enough of this game. Its not a tight contest anymore. Well done to Ireland.

29-6 to Ireland. 10min to go.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
That was predictable from the first 15. The Italians clearly had nothing in attack and they were struggling to make any impression in the forwards apart from the maul. I am disappointed that the Italians have not developed any effective backline play at all after so long being in a Professional Tier 1 competition. We have seen much more attack from the likes of Georgia, Russia and even Japan, Canada and USA than the Italians. It is one thing to say that it is their traditional game, it is another to play to a narrow game plan that hasn't worked for the last 5 years based around a pack that is really a bit of a myth. Before there are gasps of outrage consider the penalty rate against the Italians at Scrum time over the last few years and after Castro went off Ireland totally dominated this facet as well.

One last thing Ghiraldini should get a long ban for attacking the face of Cian Healy in the first half.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
...snip

One last thing Ghiraldini should get a long ban for attacking the face of Cian Healy in the first half.

Saw this on the replay. I thought Richard Loe was writing for the NZ Herald, and not a technical advisor for the Azzuri.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I just typed out a bit of a mad rant and lost it all so I'm going to re-write the main point and leave it at that.

I wish our boys would play with the same passion as the Italians. Sure they might not have a good backline and they might be a little dirty at times but the play with some god damn heart. It seems to be more than just a game of rugby to them, and that is something pretty special to me.

I have huge respect for Parisse, to be such an outstanding player in a constantly losing team says something about his quality.

Forza Azzurri!

S

sicko'drico

26-6 to Ireland. Comparing the Irish performance to the Welsh though I'd rate the Welsh to tear Ireland a new arsehole.

yes like the wallabies were supposed to rip 10 new arse holes into us....so dont bet on it!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I hope Wales destroy Ireland next week, I've turned the tv off, I cannot stand the Irish, especially O'Brien and co

That's a disgraceful comment. You shouldn't be so miffed that they deservedly beat Oz, and if it is not that, I can't think of any other reason why they rubbed you the wrong way.

Rather you should have commended them. They have played some ordinary footie in the last 12 months. They beat Argentina well in the Autumn tests and smacked England in the 6N, but apart from that, they have been ordinary. Then they lost the 4 RWC trials they had, not disgracefully, but comfortably.

Their improvement since then has been magnificent. I'm on record as saying that I don't think they can win the RWC because they don't have the depth for a tournament like this, but apart from a major injury to D. Wallace in the 4th trial, after the team was picked, they are going OK on that front and they have only 3 games to go. As Craig Joubert would say: I may have to recalibrate.

I don't know why you dislike O'Brien and OK. I'm also on record as saying that I thought SOB would be one of the stars of the tournament, though when I wrote that I didn't realise that he would be playing out of position as a 7. Were you thinking of the backrow, which outplayed ours, or the whole team, which also outplayed ours?

The only negative about SOB is that he plays for Leinster and not Munster.

I hope that, against the odds of how we are playing, that Oz wins the RWC and if not us, then Ireland and if not them, then Wales.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
That's a disgraceful comment. You shouldn't be so miffed that they deservedly beat Oz, and if it is not that, I can't think of any other reason why they rubbed you the wrong way.

Oh my apologies for speaking my mind LG, should I be carded for that?

I'm not going to expand on why I dislike the Irish Rugby side, simply because I don't feel I need to have to defend myself. But I can guarentee you that it doesn't have anything to do with them beating Australia (because we deserved to be beaten that night).

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I have huge respect for Parisse, to be such an outstanding player in a constantly losing team says something about his quality.

It's somewhat of a shame that he plays for a side that continues to persist with negative football. If he played in a side that played in the style of the All Blacks or Wallabies, he would be the undisputed number one #8 on the planet. His skillset is amazing.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Ireland havent lost to the Italians for many a year. Italy's game is just too limited to beat a top 6/7 Nation if they turn up.

The Italians really miss some guidance at 10. Frankly, they really missed Craig Gower in this tournament. Their forward power counts for little if they can't even play a ball control game if their 10 has a lousy kicking game or lacks the footballing skills to choose the right options.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
The irish guys I talked to at the game last night are just ecstatic about how good their team is going. They are loving it. Yesterday was a big day in the student ghettos. Massive parties where a lot of Irish supporters just walked in off the street with their BYO and got into it. I drove down one street with Teach Jr, 15 years old and very impressed by the sight of half naked varsity girls doing jug sculls. He has decided he is going flatting as soon as he finishes High school.

What odds are Ireland paying to win the world cup? Must be worth a lazy $10 now.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What odds are Ireland paying to win the world cup? Must be worth a lazy $10 now.

I hope and think Wales can get up but the winner of that QF shouldn't have much trouble getting over Eng or France to make the big one. Both could be worth a few $$ at this stage.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
yes like the wallabies were supposed to rip 10 new arse holes into us....so dont bet on it!!

Nice 6th post.

I will say to you what I've already said many, many times on this forum. Wallabies are my no.1 team & Ireland - based on my hertiage is my no.2 team, if there is anyone that would be looking to come up with arguements as to why the Irish will be victorious against the Welsh it would be me. However, have you actually watched Wales play lately? Pretty decent if you ask me & for mine they've had a tougher pool. Naturally I wouldnt count out the Irish putting in a big effort & getting over the line v the Welsh but based on form in this RWC and nothing else the Welsh have to be red hot fav's for this one. Regardless of who wins I'm sure it will be a cracker against England (who I'm counting on beating the French), needless to say if neither team goes all the way I wont be putting the boot into them - but thats just me.

EDIT: Oh unless it's England :) love ya poms!

H

Hugonaut

Nice 6th post.

I will say to you what I've already said many, many times on this forum. Wallabies are my no.1 team & Ireland - based on my hertiage is my no.2 team, if there is anyone that would be looking to come up with arguements as to why the Irish will be victorious against the Welsh it would be me. However, have you actually watched Wales play lately? Pretty decent if you ask me & for mine they've had a tougher pool. Naturally I wouldnt count out the Irish putting in a big effort & getting over the line v the Welsh but based on form in this RWC and nothing else the Welsh have to be red hot fav's for this one. Regardless of who wins I'm sure it will be a cracker against England (who I'm counting on beating the French), needless to say if neither team goes all the way I wont be putting the boot into them - but thats just me.

EDIT: Oh unless it's England :) love ya poms!

"Red hot fav's", eh? Fair enough. I'd point out that Wales lost to an undercooked South Africa in the first game of their group, while Ireland managed to beat the Tri-Nations champion Wallabies, and while Wales snuck by 11th ranked Samoa by 7 points, Ireland put 30 points between themselves and 12th ranked Italy.

There's very little between the teams, and they know each other very well. A pick 'em, in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.