• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2011 Rnd 1 Reds v Force

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slasher

hope so, last time I heard he was having dramas with the speed of recovery with the foot.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well said Reg. God I love this time of year.

Cheers Mayor for joining the conversation. Force have a good back row but I don't think it is very well balanced. Very mobile but some of our big units are quick around the park. I think we are going to target the force pack but in a methodical manor through the set piece and try and starve the Force out of the game. How do you think the Force are going to beat us?

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Well said Reg. God I love this time of year.

Cheers Mayor for joining the conversation. Force have a good back row but I don't think it is very well balanced. Very mobile but some of our big units are quick around the park. I think we are going to target the force pack but in a methodical manor through the set piece and try and starve the Force out of the game. How do you think the Force are going to beat us?

I expect the game plan will be to use pocock to give them ball, keep it in hand and just hope to hell the backrow pushes it over.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
The only thing that makes me think we will lose is the amount of talk about how much we will win...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
but its just us talking. On a forum. The players haven't been.

The Force plan will depend on whether they play Ripia at 10 or JOC (James O'Connor). Once the team is announced then we'll have a fair idea of the game plan.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The only thing that makes me think we will lose is the amount of talk about how much we will win...

I don't think it is in the bag if that is what you are implying. I have no idea what the Force have install for us and that makes me nervious.

T

TOCC

Yeah ive said it before, its going to be a much tighter game then last year, the Force had a massive list of injuries when they fronted the Reds last year and defensively they made some very poor plays which shouldnt occur at this level, DHP was just a defensive liability the whole game, , the Reds worked the 9-12 channel all game with ease, expect pocock and the other backrower's to be covering this channel like hawks this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Let's look at last year's teams.

Reds: Peter Hynes, Luke Morahan, Digby Ioane, Anthony Fainga'a, Brando Va’aulu, Quade Cooper, Will Genia (capt), Leroy Houston; Daniel Braid, Scott Higginbotham, Van Humphries, Rob Simmons, Laurie Weeks, Saia Fainga'a, Ben Daley. Reserves: Sean Hardman, Greg Holmes, Adam Byrnes, Jake Schatz, Ben Lucas, Morgan Turinui, Will Chambers.

Reds backline will be largely the same with Rocket back on one wing and Chambers in the centres, moving Diggers to the wing. Up front Slipper will be in for Weeks. Might have the same locks with Kev at 6, whilst Higgers could be the 8 man. Beau Robinson or Ed Quirk to replace Braid.

Western Force: Dane Haylett-Petty Scott Staniforth, Ryan Cross, James O’Connor, Nick Cummins, David Hill, Brett Sheehan, Richard Stanford, Matt Hodgson, Ben McCalman, Nathan Sharpe (capt), Sam Wykes, Tim Fairbrother, Ryan Tyrrell, Nic Henderson. Reserves: Pek Cowan, Matt Dunning, Tom Hockings, Jono Jenkins, Chris OYoung, Sam Harris, Mitch Inman

A fair few names spurned here. DH-P, Stani and Cross the first three - to be replaced by Shepherd, David Smith and Mitch Inman. VASTLY improved. I hope JOC (James O'Connor) remains at 12, meaning the rest of the backline should remain the same with a like for like swap of Ripia for Hill.

Plenty of changes for the pack, with Pocock and Brown back to re-team with Hodgson. Sharpie unlikely you reckon? Meaning McCalman moves to lock with Wykes or maybe Hockings. Only one likely player to remain in the frontrow, with Fairbrother to be THP. Nathan Charles and Pek Cowan probably the new faces.

So yes, a different team and a substantially better team than last year.

Then again, I believe the Reds are better too.

T

Thomas

SMH said:
Not spoilt for choice in candidates to replace Braid who returned to Auckland with the Blues, the Reds also have two more ex-Waratahs in Lei Tomiki and Ben Coridas, as well as young local products Ed Quirk, Gill and Jake Schatz in the mix.

There's also good depth among the Reds tall timber which will help in covering the expected loss of Radike Samo this weekend due to a middle finger injury.

Hooker Saia Fainga'a has also been sidelined by a leg problem since the 38-5 trial win over the Brumbies but is expected to return to training on Tuesday.

This could solve some selection problems but that's not necessarily a good thing.

T

TOCC

it might solve a selection issue but it also reduces the depth on the bench, Radike would make a explosive player to bring off the bench, 118kg of fijian muscle

todd4

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm pretty sure JOC (James O'Connor) will not be playing 10. The reason he played 10 in the trial against the Tahs was because Ripia had his foot trampled on in the previous trial and he was rested simply as a precautionary measure.

If I were a betting man I would put money on Ripia starting at 10, that was what he was recruited for and I have heard nothing but good reports about his skills in directing the backline in pre-season training.

I would like to see them play JOC (James O'Connor) and Inman in the centres. During the last trial they paired Fairbanks and Sidey but I'm hoping no-one at the Force seriously considers this to be a competative combination at this level. A fit Shep at 15 with Cummins and Smith on the wings outside Ripia, JOC (James O'Connor) and Inman would be a pretty handy backline.

People seem to think Charles will get the starting spot as hooker but I'm not too sure. Last year when we got a thumping in Brisbane one of the many reasons was our lineout throw-ins were a total debacle. Lee Grants' quality report on the Force V Tahs stated 'Charles had a horrible match throwing the ball to the lineout. Whittaker was surety itself when he replaced him'. This peformance may have been enough for Whittaker to grab the run on spot.

The problem area for the Force could be lock. Unfortunately I don't have any info on injuries but I beleive Wykes had a minor shoulder injury against the barbarians which would be why he didn't play against the Tahs, ditto for Hockings nursing a minor injury - I dont know if either or both will be available for round 1.
It would be sensible to rest Sharpe from round 1 to allow an extra 2 weeks to recover from his hernia op, but IF he, Wykes and Hockings are not available we are in deep shit. Hopefully Wykes and Hockings will be good to go.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Don't forget the big killer for the Force against the Reds last year was the diabolical lineout on the day. This is looking like the Forces biggest weakness as it stands. The Reds ran riot because it completely sucked any momentum out of the Force's game. The Force will most likely try to play this game at a million miles an hour and it will be a good thing for the Reds to try and slow it down and dictate the pace of the game and force the Force into confronting our set piece. I can see the Force playing us like we played the Bulls last year. That was the game we were never meant to win if I remember.

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
Thanks for the welcome. First time on the site, first thing I read in the first post on this thread...I want to see the Reds not try and run the Force pack off their feet but just physically smash them.

And there is no chance of Rabs playing 10.

Mayor,

first of all. Welcome to the site. Great timing!

secondly, I am not sure if anyone suggested we'd target the pack. I think the Reds game is too holistic to simplify things to that level. I think most of us recognise that the Force have a fantastic backrow, and that the breakdown would be a big test for the Reds, without Daniel Braid. I do think there is an opportunity at the set piece, particularly the lineout, for the Reds to take it too the Force. There is not a real lineout jumper in that backrow, and if Sharpie doesn't play that leaves McCalman and Wykes or Hockings as the locks right? If the Reds opt for Higgers at 8, Horwill at 6 with Van and Simmons at lock, that is 4 very handy jumpers.

The question becomes, will Link play the power game, with Kev on the side. Or does he opt for more of a ball running, quicker game, with Higgers at 6 and Leroy possibly at 8.

Then there is the backs, in which I firmly believe we have a massive advantage. JOC (James O'Connor) is a great player, but playing him at 10 is like Richard Graham throwing up his hands and saying "well, its all up to you now". Alternatively if he plays one out, which I think he should, we have our best defensive back (arguably player) marking him.

And your comparison of "Samo and Humphries (have you tried to get Connors back?) v Hodgo, Browny, Poey and McCalman" is quite the stretch. How 'bout we compare Wykes, Hockings, Jenkins and Dunning to Horwill, Simmons, Higginbotham and Slipper?

Oh, and one more thing...

[video=youtube;Fw_vgVqR3L4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_vgVqR3L4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Thanks for the welcome. First time on the site, first thing I read in the first post on this thread...I want to see the Reds not try and run the Force pack off their feet but just physically smash them.

And there is no chance of Rabs playing 10.

Yes I wrote that. I don't see us running your mobile pack off their feet but rather try and pysically dominate them.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Our (force) defense will be a lot better then it was against the tahs. They scored 2 try's running strait at 12 and JOC (James O'Connor) will be there on the weekend. We didn't have the best defender in fairbanks and sidey? But with JOC (James O'Connor) and Inman it's got to be better

I think both teams will score 4 try's and it will be one hell of a fast pace game.

I'd the force can win this game I think they will go along way. See the saffas think the Aussie teams are going to be useless and are only rating them and the kiwis. I think they are so so wrong!!!

Go the force!!!!

StewP

Bob McCowan (2)
I wouldn't have Lucas in my 22. Harris to play 15 and cover Quade in defence. Harris can kick goals from anywhere within the 50.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
So can Cooper. Welcome to the forum StewP. A good kicking game from full back would be handy for this game.

T

TOCC

not sure the tactic of having your inside centre and hooker lifting in the lineout is really going to pay dividends...
http://a4.sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-snc6/180118_10150141216720236_282471695235_8416596_5730410_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.