• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2010 Wallabies End of Year Tour (EOYT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Turner wasn't best on ground, he scored two standard wingers tries (two 15m runs to the corner), was safe under the high ball and was again unable to beat a defender in general play.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Turner wasn't best on ground, he scored two standard wingers tries (two 15m runs to the corner), was safe under the high ball and was again unable to beat a defender in general play.

You cant blame him, he was the most marked man on the field and did exceptionally well considering the opposition were focused on stopping him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You cant blame him, he was the most marked man on the field and did exceptionally well considering the opposition were focused on stopping him.

In the same counter attack positions Mitchell, O'Conner & Ioane would have beaten defenders (and they are the standard I judge him against), I like Turner great work ethic, wonderful defender, obviously quick, but he has his limitations

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/wallabies-spots-up-for-grabs-20101001-160q5.html

"It (the grand final) is a wonderful opportunity for everyone, from established to up-and-coming players, to put up their hand," Munn told AAP on Friday.

"Ben McCalman has certainly gone from strength-to-strength from last year and he was starting at the end of (the 2010) Tri-Nations.

"I think there's a couple of guys, from both Randwick and Sydney University, that are pushing for selection.

"I think someone like (University centres) Tom Carter and Mitch Inman and also Sekope Kepu or Ben Mowen from Randwick, are capable of pushing for selection."

Killer recommendation there Mumm. As if you're not hopeless enough already, apparently you believe Tom Carter would make a good Wallaby? Are you on fucking crack? We may as well call up Cross and Dunning at the same time? Any other hot tips?

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Right, I've just bought my tickets for the Munster v. Australia game.

Daddy Seamus, you know what to do. :D

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Australian is suggesting new Waratahs signing Pat O'Connor may be named in the 40 man wallaby squad on Monday.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/wallabies-spots-up-for-grabs-20101001-160q5.html

Killer recommendation there Mumm. As if you're not hopeless enough already, apparently you believe Tom Carter would make a good Wallaby? Are you on fucking crack? We may as well call up Cross and Dunning at the same time? Any other hot tips?

tom carter has been the best number 12 at super 14 level for a couple of years, the fact he gets shafted for an out of form giteau at test level does beg the question of why? racism maybe?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
With news that Lachie Turner was the best on ground in the Shute shield semi on the weekend a paradigm shift may have occurred with he and Mitchell now becoming the starting wingers in the wallaby XV. These two can then fight it out for essentially one wing spot as Digby will walk back into the side as he offers something that no other back in Australia offers at the moment (line-breaking ability, strength in contact etc). My point is however that JOC (James O'Connor) becomes almost the perfect bench utility in the same way that Giteau was early on in his career covering 11,12,14,15 and 10 in a serious crisis. If Digby where in the starting side we could he play a 5-2 split as he could cover 13, but that is a risky and unlikely tactic. This may be less risky if both Digby and Lachy Turner were the starting wings as they can both play at 13 at a pinch but we are still desperately short of a back up 13. I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) best position is 13 and he should play their in all forms of the game, he looks a more natural footballer their than he does at 15 and the team benefits from his hard running and efficient tackling. Rob Horne will make the perfect backup when he returns from injury because he is an immense talent who will probably play 50 tests for Australia but he is just not quite up to it as a starter at this stage of his career in my opinion.

Even though JOC (James O'Connor) can play 10 and 12, he would probably still take up the 'outside' back reserve spot and Berrick would take up the 'inside' back position. However this still leaves us incredibly flexible as a back-line unit.

Just a few stray thoughts on the current health of the Australian backline. KB (Kurtley Beale) at fullback is curing a lot of headaches.

Mitchell offers the same line breaking ability as Digby, it's just that he is sometimes quite flaky, whereas Digby seems to have been trained out of his flakiness, which mostly consisted of dropping the ball. Drew's flakiness is deeper.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think Bret Harris ( http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...r-with-wallabies/story-e6frg7mf-1225933563404 )is pretty close to the mark with the train on squad he has named. Four to be cut for the EOYT and I think they will be:-

P. O'Connor, K. Douglas, B. K-Henry, Valentine.

Two questions if indeed this is the 40 that gets named, why take Huia Edmonds instead of Nathan Charles, and why Josh Valentine ahead of Pat Phibbs?

Edmonds has great skills for a Hooker and always has. He is a favourite of mine in Super and Club Rugby, but not for tests. I wold rather a hard working good scrummaging Hooker like Charles who is also pretty handy around the park (but isn't his No1 attribute).

Valentine didn't start for the Wicks because Phibbs is a better player and Josh can have brain explosions and back chats the ref regularly (maybe he was exposed to another Randwick 9 a bit too much. What did Kingi do wrong? What about the second best defensive halfback in Oz - Brett Sheehan?

T

tranquility

Mitch Chapman clearly isn't up to it, it would be a travesty if he got a spot ahead of a Kane Douglas.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I agree Phibbs is a better player than Valo and definitely a far better leader/on-field persona but isn't he a bit old now? I don't actually know, but I would think he may be in the same basket as Van the Man.

Although if that logic was followed then you would be taking Charles over Edmonds too... who knows...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree Phibbs is a better player than Valo and definitely a far better leader/on-field persona but isn't he a bit old now? I don't actually know, but I would think he may be in the same basket as Van the Man.

Although if that logic was followed then you would be taking Charles over Edmonds too... who knows...

There's your problem. Deans doesn't. (Deans supporter here)

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Wallaby 40 Man Training Squad Announced:

Ben Alexander
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Berrick Barnes
Kurtley Beale
Richard Brown
Luke Burgess
Nathan Charles
Mitchell Chapman
Quade Cooper
Ben Daley
Rod Davies
Dave Dennis
Kane Douglas
Huia Edmonds
Rocky Elsom ©
Anthony Fainga'a
Saia Fainga'a
Will Genia
Matt Giteau
Scott Higginbotham
Matt Hodgson
Peter Hynes
Van Humphries
Brackin Karauria-Henry
Sekope Kepu
Richard Kingi
Salesi Ma’afu
Pat McCabe
Ben McCalman
Drew Mitchell
Stephen Moore
Dean Mumm
James O’Connor
Pat O’Connor
David Pocock
Benn Robinson
Nathan Sharpe
Rob Simmons
James Slipper
Matt To'omua

Players not able to be considered for selection due to injury

Will Chambers (Queensland Reds)
Mark Chisholm (Brumbies)
Stephen Hoiles (Brumbies)
Rob Horne (Queensland Reds)
James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
Stirling Mortlock (Melbourne Rebels)
Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs)
Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There's your problem. Deans doesn't. (Deans supporter here)

Me too but there are definitely a few question marks in the selection logic (or lack thereof) in some cases. My guess is that a lot comes down to peronality, perceived commitment/determination and maybe a bit of politics too

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Good to see Kingi and Charles there. Harris needs to get better informants obviously.

I think Weeks must have shit in the nest big time.

I understand that P. O'Connor has been getting some raps from some sections but he hasn't played pro Rugby in Oz for a long time. This is a smack in the face to those who have been doing the yards like Ben Hand, Kimlin, Timani, Hocking etc.

The fact that there have been a few derisive comments about O'Connor lead me to think that his selection even in the train on team is debatable. And No I haven't seen him since the Force days and I wasn't that impressed then.

T

tranquility

Huia would have to be the fourth hooker, Brackin hasn't done enough for mind, neither has Pat O'Connor. Mitch Chapman is useless, worst Aussy schoolboys captain in ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.