• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2010 Wallabies End of Year Tour (EOYT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Good on Nick Phipps for making the tour. But isn't James Stannard a better half back than him at the moment. He is at the peak of his powers. He was the best player for the 7's in Delhi and his form for the Woodies was great. He is rated the second fittest in the 7's (behind Phipps) and I'm reliably informed that he is the most professional of athletes.

Cyril Towers (30)
Agree with Lee as usual.
I don't get the love for Kepu on this forum. He has never proven himself as a scrummager either at Super level or internationals. He rarely dominates even at Shute Shield level.One of the reasons Scotland got up last year was Robinson getting an early injury and Kepu being monstered. Sure he's a good ball carrier, but a prop must be a good scrummager first and foremost. These days they must also be good lifters and defenders. These are essential criteria on the job description and anything else they offer should only be considered if the above boxes are already ticked.
Daley is not a great scrummager at this point but I think has shown enormous improvement this year and is more likely to end up a good scrummager than Kepu. He also ticks all the other "essential criteria" boxes.
The one who hasn't been discussed that I think would have added real value to this side is Weekes. We are short on good THPs and he is too good to be ignored.

Cyril Towers (30)
Good on Nick Phipps for making the tour. But isn't James Stannard a better half back than him at the moment. He is at the peak of his powers. He was the best player for the 7's in Delhi and his form for the Woodies was great. He is rated the second fittest in the 7's (behind Phipps) and I'm reliably informed that he is the most professional of athletes.

I really don't think these guys were picked on their 7s form, I suspect club form had more to do with it. Their performance in 7s might give an indication of how they play in top level competition under a bit of pressure and how they fit into a professional team set up, but their performances in 15 a side games gives a better indication of their ability as players. Phipps played a lot of good footy for Uni and got better as the season went on. He did, however, have the advantage of playing behind a very dominant pack most of the time. His real test winnll come when he is playing mid week games on this tour behind a pack that is probably going to struggle a bit.
IIRR Stannard missed a few games for the Woodies and also played a few games on the wing, so his chance to impress in 15 a side rugby was limited. I agree that he is definitely a good player, though, and was a bit unlucky.
McCutcheon is another who I think was picked on his 15 a side performances both for the tahs and Uni. He will not disappoint. He is one of those guys who always gets the "players' player" votes for all his hard work and involvement.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Agree with Lee as usual.
I don't get the love for Kepu on this forum. He has never proven himself as a scrummager either at Super level or internationals. He rarely dominates even at Shute Shield level.One of the reasons Scotland got up last year was Robinson getting an early injury and Kepu being monstered. Sure he's a good ball carrier, but a prop must be a good scrummager first and foremost. These days they must also be good lifters and defenders. These are essential criteria on the job description and anything else they offer should only be considered if the above boxes are already ticked.
Daley is not a great scrummager at this point but I think has shown enormous improvement this year and is more likely to end up a good scrummager than Kepu. He also ticks all the other "essential criteria" boxes.
The one who hasn't been discussed that I think would have added real value to this side is Weekes. We are short on good THPs and he is too good to be ignored.

He out scrummaged Alexander in the Tahs/Brumbies game

C

centreman

I really don't think these guys were picked on their 7s form, I suspect club form had more to do with it. Their performance in 7s might give an indication of how they play in top level competition under a bit of pressure and how they fit into a professional team set up, but their performances in 15 a side games gives a better indication of their ability as players. Phipps played a lot of good footy for Uni and got better as the season went on. He did, however, have the advantage of playing behind a very dominant pack most of the time. His real test winnll come when he is playing mid week games on this tour behind a pack that is probably going to struggle a bit.
IIRR Stannard missed a few games for the Woodies and also played a few games on the wing, so his chance to impress in 15 a side rugby was limited. I agree that he is definitely a good player, though, and was a bit unlucky.
McCutcheon is another who I think was picked on his 15 a side performances both for the tahs and Uni. He will not disappoint. He is one of those guys who always gets the "players' player" votes for all his hard work and involvement.

If its based on club form what about McKibbin at half-back who won the Catchpole Medal.

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
Why does Stephen Hoiles keep getting overlooked? And Richard Brown get selected?!

I know Hoiles is injured, but c'mon!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Agree with Lee as usual.

What Scotland game were you watching?

I seem to recall the Australian scrum only being outdone in that game early on when Robinson was on the field and clearly injured...

Kepu came on and was solid... and the Australian scrum remained on top despite Robinson's absence... in fact he scrummaged well that entire EOYT, and he's scrummaged well in the Super 14 and Shute Shield...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
am not convinced. Keps may be stronger, but I don't think he has the application. The Reds pack put some powerful scrums together this year.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
So Douglas, BKH, Charles, Chapman, Dennis, Kepu, Kingi, Pat 0'Connor, and Toomooa miss out. Tough call picking Van over Douglas.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
9 Brumbies
6 Forcies
1 Rebel
12 Reds
8 Tahs

That says it all really. The Tahs were the best team this season (and have been for the last 3 seasons). Why do the Reds and Brumbies have more? Specifically it should be Kepu over Daley and Douglas over Humphries. If you wanna go further I'd have Fitzpatrick over Edmonds and Baxter over Ma'afu.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Daley is a small prop who plays tight and Kepu is a big prop who plays loose. In my opinion it's like apples and oranges, just a matter of preference.

They both need a couple more years of development though.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Why does Stephen Hoiles keep getting overlooked? And Richard Brown get selected?!

I know Hoiles is injured, but c'mon!

Dick Brown is quite a good impact player coming off the bench. He has a huge work rate but is just too small to match it when everyone is fresh.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
am not convinced. Keps may be stronger, but I don't think he has the application. The Reds pack put some powerful scrums together this year.

Not when it got hard, they were solid early, but we all know the S14 ramps up in quality at the back end.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
He scrums better, is better with ball in hand, does everything better?

I wanted Kepu to go on tour also but to say he does everything better than Daley is a bit far fetched, Daley would rate only 2nd to Pocock when it comes to tackling & he's no fairy ball in hand either.

My biggest problem with this squad is Edmonds over Charles & no genuine back up 13, why Deans continues to pick seagulls & young lightweights as back ups for a hard mans position is baffling.

I like big bulky hookers like TPN, Moore & Charles same goes for outside centre.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
9 Brumbies
6 Forcies
1 Rebel
12 Reds
8 Tahs

That says it all really. The Tahs were the best team this season (and have been for the last 3 seasons). Why do the Reds and Brumbies have more? Specifically it should be Kepu over Daley and Douglas over Humphries. If you wanna go further I'd have Fitzpatrick over Edmonds and Baxter over Ma'afu.

FFS Lets not argue an arithmetical relationship between Super14 results and representation in a Wallabies team or squad. It's as useful as arguing that because a test team is third rated in the world it must have more players in a nominated world team than the 5th rated team.

I trust that I need not explain why this is. Life is too short.

Incidentally I would also have Fitzpatrick instead of Edmonds but would have Charles before either. (That's now and is not necessarily my permanent opinion - I want to see Fitzy get to start in some Super games, something he hasn't done yet.) I could not argue for Baxter because he was injured in the Shute Shield and hasn't played a game for a while - otherwise I could do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.