• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2010 Wallabies End of Year Tour (EOYT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
RugbyReg, is that your preferred team or the one you think RD's gonna pick?

I find it hard to believe he'll finally leave Gits out of the starting line-up but I'm happy to be proved wrong.
And depeneing on Chis' conditionI reckon Mumm might get in over him...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is injured he might be replaced by a future 13.

Morahan, McCabe, Turner or Fainga'a. Most have played the position before.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A little bit of both. I can't believe we'll go back to Mumm again? Really? He's back up to me know. I'd have preferred Douglas toured instead of Chis, with Kane and Simmons to battle for the lock spot, but if Chis is touring I reckon he'll start.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Can only really add to the chorus of disappointment about Edmonds. I hear Charles going to be a good player, it maybe to early for him now, but surely he or at least fitzpatrick would be a better option.

As far as phipps, I am surprised. I mean he's an f-ing good player. I played with the guy at school and I'm stoked for him, but I really didn't think he could make it so soon. Still he'll be quality given the time. I just feel sorry for Kingi. That bloke could be worldclass, but what can you do when you're stuck behind genia? Likely now he'll be stuck behind Phipps to. What ever happened to that contract he signed with Deans? Something about if you put on 6kg you'll come on the EOYT 2010.

R

Red Rooster

Can only really add to the chorus of disappointment about Edmonds. I hear Charles going to be a good player, it maybe to early for him now, but surely he or at least fitzpatrick would be a better option.

As far as phipps, I am surprised. I mean he's an f-ing good player. I played with the guy at school and I'm stoked for him, but I really didn't think he could make it so soon. Still he'll be quality given the time. I just feel sorry for Kingi. That bloke could be worldclass, but what can you do when you're stuck behind genia? Likely now he'll be stuck behind Phipps to. What ever happened to that contract he signed with Deans? Something about if you put on 6kg you'll come on the EOYT 2010.

Kingi has barely played any rugby this year and when he did it was not at halfback for the Reds, QLD A or Sunnybank teams - he played at 10,12 and 15 or was often injured so I am not sure where the world class tag comes from. I think Charles would have been a very good prospect to try as we know what Edmonds offers

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Still quite a few guys on there that ONLY Robbie would pick.

Interesting to see how Deans goes with Nuci over his shoulder, but you would have to assume that Nuci has signed off on this team.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why is Ben Daley in the squad over Sekope Kepu?

Kepu at least proved on last years EOYT that he's capable of scrummaging against test class opponents...

Daley is rubbish... he's probably the 4th choice LH we have if we throw Alexander in the mix...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the Rebels would be pinching themselves.

By the start of their first ever season they will have at worst case two halfbacks under 22 with recent wallaby tourist experience and a veteran wallaby with world cup experience or in best case scenario a wallaby tourist, a recently capped wallaby and a veteran wallaby.

If they keep Kingi and Phipps around they could be the folks they build a team around. Sadly for Kingi, this development might see him slotting into a utility back role.

On the hooker front, perhaps they picked Huia because he is more likely to be ready to do a good job come WC time then the much younger Charles. I mean, it mightn't be the job we've grown to expect from a hooker but he is still a very impressive player.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just realised that To'omua also wasn't picked... laaaaaaaame...

McCutcheon over Chapman?

That's a bit of an odd selection considering Chapman can at least cover lock and we already have enough players who can slot into 6...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I just realised that To'omua also wasn't picked... laaaaaaaame...

McCutcheon over Chapman?

That's a bit of an odd selection considering Chapman can at least cover lock and we already have enough players who can slot into 6...

Well they did claim they wanted utility players and McCutcheon does cover a few possies.

I agree about To'omua but we have enough 10s for now.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Edmonds for Charles is a disappointing choice. What does Robbie see in him that no one else in Australian rugby does? Oh well, the rain suits seagulls.
Actually quite the contrary. Need beef. Not fairies.

Absence of Douglas is baffling. Did he piss someone off? Surely Kepu is a better player than Daly? He scrums better, is better with ball in hand, does everything better?

The Boks got smashed mid week last year with iffy T5 selections. The big lesson was pick the best set piece blokes you can or get snotted.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well they did claim they wanted utility players and McCutcheon does cover a few possies.

I agree about To'omua but we have enough 10s for now.

I think McCutcheon is a decent player, but I would speculate his selection is more of a reward for his 7's work...

For me though the biggest selection fuck up by Deans is Daley over Kepu... there is not one aspect of Daley that I could think of that would make him a better choice than Kepu...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think McCutcheon is a decent player, but I would speculate his selection is more of a reward for his 7's work...

For me though the biggest selection fuck up by Deans is Daley over Kepu... there is not one aspect of Daley that I could think of that would make him a better choice than Kepu...

whilst I don't believe Daley is up to international footy this year, I can name three I reckon.

1) Match fitness. Dales has played a lot more high level footy this year.
2) work in the tight. Keps avoids it, Dales loves it.
3) leadership. Daley is highly regarded in this area, having already skippered the Reds.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Leicester front row will be something like White, Chuter, Castrogiovanni.

There are not many stronger scrummaging front rows running around the the muddy Isles than that.

That's like a the grim reaper and his two nastiest friends.

I hope for all money I am wrong but I see a likely Daley, Edmonds, Ma'afu combo getting a right buggering.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Leicester front row will be something like White, Chuter, Castrogiovanni.

There are not many stronger scrummaging front rows running around the the muddy Isles than that.

That's like a the grim reaper and his two nastiest friends.

I hope for all money I am wrong but I see a likely Daley, Edmonds, Ma'afu combo getting a right buggering.

England and Italy will both probably have tests this time of year and some of those guys will get a call-up. On top of that they are oldies and will potentially be being rested.

Basically, I really really doubt out chances of seeing a front row of that quality.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
RugbyReg - agree with your teams except that I think Robbie will have Mitchell and Turner on the wings with JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench and can see no way he'll drop Giteau, so I'd interchange Giteau and Barnes.

Have to agree with RedRooster - Kingi's club form was dissapointing, even though not playing much at #9 - don't think the Reds will be too concerned at losing him.

W

WB3

England and Italy will both probably have tests this time of year and some of those guys will get a call-up. On top of that they are oldies and will potentially be being rested.

Basically, I really really doubt out chances of seeing a front row of that quality.

You'd hope so anyway.

I said it in the "Case for le Fuse" comments, but I'll say it again (despairingly) - I'm all for "blooding" players who are actually in contention for test spots, but when guys such as Baxter (even Kepu), Waugh etc are left at home for the likes of Daley/Maafu and McCutcheon (good 7s player, but he couldn't crack the Tahs 1st XV without injury to Waugh) I start to question his sanity. The blokes who genuinely need and deserve development need to be playing with our best players, who coincidentally tend to have the experience to provide some good mentoring and support for the younguns. If you had to look at how many people are selected to play each position in the touring party (call it x), how many (especially in the forwards) would you actually place in the top x of that position in the country? Is that what we really need?

C

centreman

Deans really cheapens the Wallaby jersey picking players who haven't proven themselves at Super Rugby level.
And please dont tell me he is picking Wallabies based on their sevens form. Thats like picking a good indoor cricketer for the test team.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/matchcentre/match-centre_fixtures-results.php

Six Nations starts in Feb. Nobody is going anywhere.

Those guys are likely to play. White is an oldie but based on what I have seen in 2 Leicester games I watched this year so far there is nothing wrong with his scrummaging and he is pretty effective for 50 minutes (and no less mobile than Ma'afu). Their backups are people like Boris Stankovich. Trust me, it's going to be tough, whoever they pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.