• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2010 Wallabies End of Year Tour (EOYT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That technique is not more efficient, it requires a lot of upper body strength. Just look at Barnes, probably the most efficient tackler in the Wallaby backline (with Burgess), it isn't his style of choice, is it?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
good clip on the ARU site about this. Blake said that focussed on three things: 1) tracking (I think that's what he called it - and there's footage of Slipper v Kepu doing a drill there), 2) getting the hit/winning the collision and 3) attitude. The attitude one was the one practised above, it would seem from the clip.

As I've heard many times before, and I believe, the key to tackling is attitude.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)

Had a distinct queenslander feel to it, however I can't help but agree. The reds are what has put the wallabies back on the map this year.

And btw is just me, or does Ewen McKenzie always say the right thing? God I would like to have him involved with the wallabies somehow, he'd get the forwards to harden up. Deans and McKenzie, dare I say it, A Dream Team? I'm sure most would disagree and realistically they would probably have completely different ideas

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Had a distinct queenslander feel to it, however I can't help but agree. The reds are what has put the wallabies back on the map this year.

And btw is just me, or does Ewen McKenzie always say the right thing? God I would like to have him involved with the wallabies somehow, he'd get the forwards to harden up. Deans and McKenzie, dare I say it, A Dream Team? I'm sure most would disagree and realistically they would probably have completely different ideas

Well, Link does only mention Reds players in that article, and no one else. When he was with the Waratahs, he only ever mentioned Waratahs players. I remember his oft-stated case for Frier starting for the Wallabies. So yes, involving him with the Wallabies would greatly increase the number of names he could bring himself to utter.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

it was from The Courier Mail, do yes definitely QLD Focused

T

TOCC

well on one hand i agree, however on the other hand Robbie was the other day talking about how last year they were running pretty thin on depth in the locking position and that they wouldnt take that risk this year..

I know thats only in reference to one position, however it is a indicator of where his thought process is at in terms of taking a fair few replacements on tour..

I reckon we will see another 35man touring party... Given that there are midweek matches, you cold potentially have quite a few players playing 3 games in 7days if you dont take enough depth.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I would want to make sure TPN is 150% right before putting him anywhere near a footy field. Don't think we should take too many chances, especially at hooker where we at least have a little bit of depth. I would probably be a bit quicker to throw Ben Alexander back given our distinct lack of tightheads.

T

TOCC

yeah definetly, whilst i would love to have TPN on the EOYT, no point risking him considering we still have Moore who is a more then capable replacement, Saia Fainga'a has shown some glimpses of test level rugby as well

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
was it? They are half way through the training squad, so perhaps at the end of that (today and tomorrow)?

Anyway, what 7s players would we consider? Lachie obviously. I'd go Morahan over McCabe too. Cummins probably played his way out.

But I tell you what, I would seriously consider taking Liam Gill. I thought he was fantastic. Doesn't look too small by any means, and snagged some very well time turn overs, which has to be harder in 7s. Also showed good physicality at the ruck. Enough to make me believe he will be Reds 7 next year, for most of the season.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
The Wallaby squad is due to be announced tomorrow just before midday (NSW time), at the end of their morning training session.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Or hopefully earlier via the wonders of twitter from those selected...

As if I needed another reason to stay on twitter instead of studying! Awesome! Come to think of it, those who are on twitter aren't likely to be left out. Coincidence?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
But I tell you what, I would seriously consider taking Liam Gill. I thought he was fantastic. Doesn't look too small by any means, and snagged some very well time turn overs, which has to be harder in 7s. Also showed good physicality at the ruck. Enough to make me believe he will be Reds 7 next year, for most of the season.

Gill has bulked up, I'm sure they listed him as 96kg for the com games which is a fair bit bigger than the 88kg listed at the start of the year.
I'd love to see Gill at 12 I reckon he'd be wicked at centre.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
TPN and Chis might be on the tour

One would hope Deans and the Wallabies brains trust don't even consider TPN and Chisholm unless they're 110% fit. Considering the importance of these two players they'd be of much more value to Australia completely fit and rested next year. On the other hand I'm itching to see how Simmons and Douglas go against NH opposition with the extended preparation of a tour. Fainga'a and Charles also have a priceless opportunity to show they're capable of competing against big burly NH forwards on heavy grounds.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Agreed. Especially TPN. Squeaky is a bloody good hooker, so it's not like we're in utter strife at that position if Taf doesn't go.

Status
Not open for further replies.