• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I wonder if we ask almost the right questions.

My concern is not at all about Super Rugby survival. It's about pro-rugby in Australia looking for the strongest base for National rugby. From grass roots to WBs.

Super Rugby has been pivotal in this issue. Whether it is the right answer for the future is the question. At this point the near future.

It is legitimate to note that Twiggy Rugby has not had the chance to productively assist the matter yet. But in going forward the same questions should be asked about IPRU as we should be asking about Super Rugby.

How are you with html? Because that's the surefire way of solving the paragraph issue. Anyway, I like to look at the set up of the IPRC and any future involvement from Australian teams beyond the Force as an opportunity creation exercise. Say if post 2020 the other four Aus franchises jump across and RA open the eligibility rules for Aus players within the IPRC. All of a sudden we have up to 10 teams of opportunity for players in Australia. Five of which would be in fairly interesting locations while still being visible to domestic audiences. Surely this cannot hurt.

Reactions: dru

zer0

John Thornett (49)

People engage in a competitive activity and are watched by others. Whether that activity is rugby, soccer, Counter Strike or Dota it's still fundamentally the same thing. People are watching others in a competitive event.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
People engage in a competitive activity and are watched by others. Whether that activity is rugby, soccer, Counter Strike or Dota it's still fundamentally the same thing. People are watching others in a competitive event.

Oh come on. It is fundamentally not the same thing. It's like comparing boxing to tidlewinks. It needs more than competition to bring comparison together.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Oh for christ sake, I am not continuing down this pointless route. If you can't see the difference between sport and gaming - I can't help you.

Packed out stadiums - check
Massive tv rights deals - check
People that have spent countless hours perfecting their art - check
Some sort of physical exertion - check
Unknown competitive outcome - check

I’m struggling to see the difference??

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't do it myself, but fundamentally it's no different to watching other people play sports.
More akin to watching someone masturbate I would have thought.
Pimply teen in a dark room, bright screen, frantically rummaging around his lap.

I say this non-judgementally: it's pathetic. Unfortunately like some other things (ufc springs to mind) it's a harbinger for the movement of our society to slowly resemble the movie "idiocracy"

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Pimply teen in a dark room, bright screen, frantically rummaging around his lap.

I say this non-judgementally: it's pathetic. Unfortunately like some other things (ufc springs to mind) it's a harbinger for the movement of our society to slowly resemble the movie "idiocracy"
not a fan of darts or snooker JD?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

This is getting quite off topic, but no, it really isn't.........

E-Sports-Featured-1024x576-600x300.jpg

It's not my thing, but surely it can't be any more weird than adult men obsessing over high school aged rugby boys......... or any less boring than a Foo Fighters concert.

T

TOCC

It's just another form of entertainment, simple as that.. the argument is over whether its a 'sport', well its probably a modern iteration of chess. I don't think we will ever see e-sports it in the olympics though.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

Actually, no. That is very judgemental. Just because it isn't your thing, doesn't mean that it isn't valid. eSports is rapidly becoming extremely big and lots of people like it. Prize money in 2007 was $6.7 million. Prize money in 2017 was $112 million with the top grossing player making over $2.4 million in the year.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Elon Musk who I regard as the smartest person in my lifetime and who designs rockets, electric cars etc, solar city.

He is 46, many share my view on his intelligence and business acumen.

Musk, plays computer games to relax and watches to relax big computer game matches.

The money and the size of these things is massive and in our increasingly crowded city where every kid has a computer and access to the net. This could be the future.

Which is why I posted that FFA have introduced the worlds most popular sports game in an A-League format.

This is the U 30 market, and if they can convert a reasonable percentage of fans gamers to also watch the A-League hhhmmmm.

Do we do the same.

Out of interest I have copied below a post on 442 about it and as i mentioned everyone is behind it quite rare in the soccer world today.

This post I found hhhmmm say scary, make your own judgement but IMO we need to react.

From 442.

"" The E-League is a fantastic idea and a rare instance in recent times where the FFA got things right.
FIFA is immensely popular game and e-sports is a growing market, and is extremely popular in the younger demographics that will be vital to the support of football in the future. They may not be playing, but they will be watching. Converting them to A-League fans is another matter, but piquing their interest in the European leagues, famous players, and national teams is definitely achieved through the FIFA games.

More importantly, this whole E-League is part of the wider array of alternative/contemporary media that can push our code into the spotlight. No longer can TV networks and print media have the same control over the flow of information accessed by the general public, and no longer can organizations with agendas successfully plant them in their puppets and mouthpieces as easily as they could a couple of decades ago. By being broadcast on Twitch, the E-League is safe from being sabotaged, drowned out, or playing second fiddle in the way that the A-League (and more gruesomely, the NSL) have dealt with due to the nature of the Australian media. Ironically the E-League is also far more accessible than most of the A-League, too. As long as you have an internet connection you can watch it live - and legally - on an easy-to-find platform (and its even in HD, which the A-League on FTA is not!).

Best of all, this is something that football has a distinct advantage on. E-Sports is big in this country but no other sports code has the potential or capacity to compare to the E-League. The video games for other sports are either limited or non-existent. None are as popular as FIFA. Certain organizations (not naming names, but we all know which one) that would try to emulate this to take wind away from the E-League would be fighting an uphill battle. This is a battleground that football can win. ""

Status
Not open for further replies.