• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
yes it will start out very pedestrian, do any of you remember how poor World Series Cricket was in the beginning? looked like a country cricket match in East Bumfuck.
If anybody thinks those involved from Sinderberry to Twiggy are going to be happy with a second rate NRC comparable competition, you will be wrong.

The status quo they were competing against involved the players getting paid close to nothing for their services. It's not really a relevant comparison.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Again, comparing to World Series Cricket just sets yourself up for disappointment.

It's an unfair comparison on so many levels, but it also creates the expectation this competition will be a complete 'game changer' that will alter the future of rugby as a code.

When I say that won't happen, I'm not 'death riding' the competition by any means. I'm just ensuring we don't set ourselves up for a huge disappointment.

I want this competition to succeed, but my idea of success seems a bit different to others. That's fine, but if you think the IPRC is going to be an all-star, game changing concept you are more than likely going to end up disappointed.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I don't think it is going to smash all competition.
But I do believe given 5 years it will be serious competition to the likes of Super Rugby.
The ARU may be spending a lot of money now, for little return, but will those revenue streams be there in the near future.
Also once Clyne abdicates I believe the ARU will jump on board with Twiggy.
Edit: And Clyne will go down in history as the architect of the biggest Aust Rugby cluster of all time.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah some absolutely wild assumptions right there.

50k average attendance would mean it's the 2nd most popular competition across all sports globally.

I also disagree with the assessment that Twiggy and co have deeper pockets than the ARU. On the surface that may be true, but so far Twiggy has only committed $50m and the ARU's annual expenditure is about $120m.

If they manage to get near those figures within the first 5-10 years then that would be great. But it will take at least that time frame.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
[quote="barbarian, post: 979740, member: 1509&quoet;]
For me it's a team of young Western Australians, maybe with a few O/S veterans thrown in, playing against other young club players in the Asia-Pacific. I even think NRC standard will be a bit much to hope for, and a comp about the standard of the Shute Shield is more realistic.

Considering that in every stated plan in regards to player pools they have made mention of recruiting extensively from outside of the potential markets I don't think something akin to NRC is all that unrealistic. And should certainly be what they are aiming for.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I don't think it is going to smash all competition.
But I do believe given 5 years it will be serious competition to the likes of Super Rugby.
The ARU may be spending a lot of money now, for little return, but will those revenue streams be there in the near future.
Also once Clyne abdicates I believe the ARU will jump on board with Twiggy.
Edit: And Clyne will go down in history as the architect of the biggest Aust Rugby cluster of all time.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of merger in competition between TwiggyRugby, SuperRugby and the NRC. Interest in SuperRugby has fallen off a cliff over the past 5-10 years.
May depend on what South Africa want to do. Of course the South Africa Pro14 option isn't exactly doing brilliantly: under 3000 to see the Kings lose to Ulster, under 6000 for the Cheetahs to lose to Glasgow, about 4600 for the Cheetahs beating Ospreys. Only one game about 7000 which was the Cheetahs beating Zebra with just under 14000.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I reckon we really need to re-calibrate what a successful competition looks like

Aviva Premiership and Top 14 average around 13,000 a game.
Japan's Top League averages 5 to 6,000
The NRL averages about 15,000.

The are only starting with 5 home games a year which is really going to limit the earning potential of the comp and ability to employ players full time (but I don't think they will want to do that anyway, at least initially)

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Forrest/Minderoo received a dividend from FMG last year of about $400 Million.

Which doesn't really dispel the liquidity point.

Dividends can be payed out a number of ways, not just cash, and this was paid to his company, not him.

He obviously has plenty of money, but being worth $4.2billion by valuation does not mean he can come up with 400million tomorrow.

Lets say you're worth $1million dollars (if I add together the equity in your house, car, business, etc.). You'd still struggle to come up with $100k (and part with it). This is a similar ratio to Forrest coming up with $400 million.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Which doesn't really dispel the liquidity point.

Dividends can be payed out a number of ways, not just cash, and this was paid to his company, not him.

He obviously has plenty of money, but being worth $4.2billion by valuation does not mean he can come up with 400million tomorrow.

Lets say you're worth $1million dollars (if I add together the equity in your house, car, business, etc.). You'd still struggle to come up with $100k (and part with it). This is a similar ratio to Forrest coming up with $400 million.

he could loan it in 2 seconds flat with zero affect on his lifestyle. Reg I have also read somewhere that they are sponsoring the NRC though am not sure when it started or if it has, maybe next year? The amount I read was 200k.

Status
Not open for further replies.