• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

I think if the other franchises want in they should sit out the amount of time the Force sat out of Super Rugby, to atone for the collective sins. See how you all feel then.
I think the other 4 Australian markets would have to pay an entrance fee. If the IPRC is successful with the hard yards put in by TF then no free ride for late comers.

B

BLR

I think the other 4 Australian markets would have to pay an entrance fee. If the IPRC is successful with the hard yards put in by TF then no free ride for late comers.

And KPI's. A team may buy its way in but they should never be bailed out through mismanagement. No initial free rides and no ongoing free rides, this is why we are where we are.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I reckon they could consider having more than one Japanese team in the competition, while Tokyo looks like a given; Kyushu and Kansai can get pretty parochial when it comes to sport. Of course, there would have to be some talent-spreading.

Would be interesting to see if the Hanshin Tigers and the Yomiuri Giants would be willing add rugby to their rivalry.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The three areas that stood out for me were the desire to bring back players, to expand the number of teams over time and to broadcast online. We need to expand the teams more than anything IMO and I posted in the Super Rugby thread kinda why.
Anyone prepared to put big money and try and do something that would benefit oz rugby will always have my full support. Of course it's risky but twiggy is putting up the risk capital so the ARU and rugby public should just get behind what he is doing and work with and support him. As last time I Checked we did not have a queue of billionaires lining up to invest many millions in something that would benefit oz rugby if it succeeds. I refuse to be at all negative about twiggyball as about time we chose to be supportive of something positive being attempted to be done for rugby in our region.

I just bloody hope it works with whatever is rolled out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
just on Comp Window once again:

“We can counterbalance what the Europeans can offer, what the Japanese can offer,” he said.

“It’s our intention to stop our best players leaving, bring our best players back.

“We can share a cost (with a Super Rugby franchise).”

from:https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...k=1ade90a827257a4bd1e546a397d6e395-1509155196

That certainly suggests that he'd prefer it to be outside the Super Rugby window, and probably looking at utilizing Wessells and probably upwards of 10 Force players who'll probably sign Super Contracts.

Which will be interesting come any potential merger, but would be 100% the right move in the interim.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sorry.
Twiggy lost his halo when the Force asked me to leave my share subscription in to pay their costs: no media opportunities for him in that context so he's not interested.
No better than the rest: his interests just happen to temporarily align with Force fans'.

dru

David Wilson (68)
The three areas that stood out for me were the desire to bring back players, to expand the number of teams over time and to broadcast online. We need to expand the teams more than anything IMO and I posted in the Super Rugby thread kinda why.

I've never heard either SANZAAR or Super Rugby state specific importance in either grass roots rugby or the involvement of women. No need to stop at three. ;-)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/10/27/forrest-iprc-update

Just listened/watch Twiggy's presentation to the media on his competition.

Grand ambitions and serious commitment. Quite incredible to think this sort of commitment made because the Force kicked out of Super Rugby. World Rugby must be loving Twiggy as an investment to grow the game across Indo Pacific - what would World Rugby not like about that.

Quite incredible and will be interesting to watch it all unfold. Key bit for me is he seems in it for long haul ie. try fail is not stop but retry (with changes).

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I would love to see away games on FTA for this comp, especially considering that all away games are overseas, but still at convenient hours. Callin' out to Stokesy again?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I tend to agree that logical team for one of the 6 on commercials has to be Japan, . Equally for same reason Hong Kong. China yes - but gees private ownership of club in china by non chinese entity - how would that work. Fiji would have to be a given (more so due to success of Drua and good crowds had for NRC). And then the Force. Anyhow if I read correctly we get told on 16 November who the teams will be (I think I got that right).

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Puts on a suit of armour, holds up shield for protection.

Without doubt this is great for rugby.

But is it as good for Australian rugby as many on here are posting.

My biggest issue with Super Rugby was its limited number of teams in Australia and I often sighted AFL 18, NRL 16, A-League 10 with expansion plans, Netball 10 with expansion plans, Big Bash 8 with expansion plans.

The Australian sporting landscape has shown repeatedly it likes local domestic competitions. Both Super Rugby and soccer’s Asian Champions League have never captured the Australian public’s interest in huge numbers.

It’s worth considering how the kid in Woy Woy will attach to it.

While I think TF’s competition will be very successful, the success will be in Asia.

From the Roar on Friday I think was an article about the creation of a 12 to 16 team national domestic second division. It’s worth reading if for nothing else what they want the teams to bring to the table. IMO this type of competition is worth considering and if backed by say TF it would quickly become our national domestic competition. http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/10/27/second-division-plans-not-realistic-ffa

I will wait for my final verdict latter on when more details are available. But in its current form I don’t see how it will in any way connect to park teams and their volunteers.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I tend to agree that logical team for one of the 6 on commercials has to be Japan, . Equally for same reason Hong Kong. China yes - but gees private ownership of club in china by non chinese entity - how would that work. Fiji would have to be a given (more so due to success of Drua and good crowds had for NRC). And then the Force. Anyhow if I read correctly we get told on 16 November who the teams will be (I think I got that right).

From my one session of Chinese Commercial Law at Uni, any external ownership of a commercial entity within China requires a Chinese partner. Which I suspect would likely be Alisports. Which solves that issue.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
From my one session of Chinese Commercial Law at Uni, any external ownership of a commercial entity within China requires a Chinese partner. Which I suspect would likely be Alisports. Which solves that issue.

You would have to think Allisports with their planned investment in china rugby would be onto having a team in Twiggyball?

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
Sorry.
Twiggy lost his halo when the Force asked me to leave my share subscription in to pay their costs: no media opportunities for him in that context so he's not interested.
No better than the rest: his interests just happen to temporarily align with Force fans'.

strange-my letter from Western force owners stated that only 20% of my donation would go towards legal costs and the remaining 80% would go to the ASF

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Colombo, Kandy, Hong Kong, South Korea, Tokyo, Kansai, Kyushu, Perth, Adelaide, Newcastle/Central Coast, Townsville, Fiji, Hawaii, Singapore, Manila, Shanghai, Chungking, Beijing...
etc, etc

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Colombo, Kandy, Hong Kong, South Korea, Tokyo, Kansai, Kyushu, Perth, Adelaide, Newcastle/Central Coast, Townsville, Fiji, Hawaii, Singapore, Manila, Shanghai, Chungking, Beijing.
etc, etc

Look at the graphic highlighting time zones and then cut out the Sri Lankan cities and Hawaii.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Colombo, Kandy, Hong Kong, South Korea, Tokyo, Kansai, Kyushu, Perth, Adelaide, Newcastle/Central Coast, Townsville, Fiji, Hawaii, Singapore, Manila, Shanghai, Chungking, Beijing.
etc, etc

Well marketed as reaching 60% of Asia's population. I really wonder how far they have got as to realistic teams that will be involved ready to be signed up. If logic on size of market, backing, marketability etc for me it would be outside of the Force: Japan, China, Fiji, HK, NZ (but they apparently have no interest at this point with Mitre 10 etc). Outside of those I would see a struggle to get the crowds and commercial returns for other sides. Anyway guess I will just need to wait and see who are the other 5 sides outside of the Force.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well marketed as reaching 60% of Asia's population. I really wonder how far they have got as to realistic teams that will be involved ready to be signed up. If logic on size of market, backing, marketability etc for me it would be outside of the Force: Japan, China, Fiji, HK, NZ (but they apparently have no interest at this point with Mitre 10 etc). Outside of those I would see a struggle to get the crowds and commercial returns for other sides. Anyway guess I will just need to wait and see who are the other 5 sides outside of the Force.

I tend to think Malaysia may be a chance. They've had solid numbers for years. Recently been pushing the Get Into Rugby program really hard and have been restructuring their national league system over the past few season in preparation for the launch of professionalism next season. Pretty sure they even have the backing of a local billionaire to boot. Singapore is another. Yes, the crowds weren't super for the Sunwolves but not that bad considering the Sunwolves were very much only there to appease the Saffers. A more 'local' team would help solidify and build a little more interest. Especially if it involves playing other teams from nations they have traditionally had regional rivalries like Malaysia.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Any expats (or locals!) able to give an idea if local media are picking up on any coverage of this competition at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.