• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
If there is a push to go back to the S12 (which I loved originally) then surely that would be the signal for us to pull the ripcord and escape. If we're fair dinkum about wanting to grow the game in this country we can't go back to three teams. Four is already bad enough.

IMO what matters the most and what will prove most critical and decisive is not 'we just must have X Super Teams', but rather:

- what competencies are absolutely essential within each State RU and the ARU in order to attain consistent standards of playing and coaching excellence within X number of teams and where X is defined as a realistic reflection of this need, and

- aligned to the above, the essential need to have those X teams reasonably consistently winning lots of competitive games, playing entertaining, dynamic rugby, getting fans really engaged, getting into Finals and occasionally winning a Final and thus attain financial viability (with that latter variable defined in part by the level of RU grant money the ARU can realistically afford to fund its Super teams)

What we must do as a matter of policy priority of the highest order is address the above dimensions with superior standards of objectivity and honesty.

My own view is that the hard-headed answer to that question is (given where Australian rugby realistically is today) probably 3 teams, with 2 in Sydney (one in Western Sydney).

There is zero, just zero, justification for having any number of teams that is not based strictly upon the above criteria and the required dimensions of overall managerial and, crucially, coaching, excellence essential to create and sustain successful Super teams.

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
as the super rugby teams are made up, at least in nz not based on real rugby provincal pride or history, i would much rather there was a effort made to make nz accept it has to allow nz players in any super team be elligable for AB selection. this would make the comp better, much better than cutting teams

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
IMO what matters the most and what will prove most critical and decisive is not 'we just must have X Super Teams', but rather:

- what competencies are absolutely essential within each State RU and the ARU in order to attain consistent standards of playing and coaching excellence within X number of teams and where X is defined as a realistic reflection of this need, and

- aligned to the above, the essential need to have those X teams reasonably consistently winning lots of competitive games, playing entertaining, dynamic rugby, getting fans really engaged, getting into Finals and occasionally winning a Final and thus attain financial viability (with that latter variable defined in part by the level of RU grant money the ARU can realistically afford to fund its Super teams)

What we must do as a matter of policy priority of the highest order is address the above dimensions with superior standards of objectivity and honesty.

My own view is that the hard-headed answer to that question is (given where Australian rugby realistically is today) probably 3 teams, with 2 in Sydney (one in Western Sydney).

There is zero, just zero, justification for having any number of teams that is not based strictly upon the above criteria and the required dimensions of overall managerial and, crucially, coaching, excellence essential to create and sustain successful Super teams.

If we've learnt anything from the experience of the past 15 years is that everything that Australian Rugby does must be financially sustainable. I think that is where the current chairman is heading, but I'm not so sure that the culture of the organisation is geared to logical, rational, criteria-based decision making. Even with the decision about which team is to go at the end of the year, there appears to be no set criteria to be met, just consultations with the ARU who will then, Solomon-like make a considered decision.

It's sad that it's only when we've reached the current low point (and it may not even be at the nadir yet), that many have started to finally question the conduct of the ARU and the state RUs. As you know, some of us have been making these points for years but have been dismissed as negative and not possessing the amazing brilliance of those occupants of high office.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am not talking about their pathways, I am talking about the image of the game and the demographic of the supporters. Maybe things have changed since I lived and worked there, but the support base was overwhelmingly middle class and up.

That's why they are so farking rich as a sport, in England. And so conservative.

Its changed - Sam Burgess tells you that.
They are rich because they own Twickenham and thats a sell out whenever they play

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
^^^This is our equivalent of super league.
No winners except for lawyers

For future reference......... don't call anything super

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sometimes civil war is required.

On another topic GeeRob has written an article for tomorrow highlighting last year the tahs received $2.6mil in aru top ups, Brums $1.3, Reds $1.05, Force $270k and Rebels $120k. She highlights the gross unfairness of judging the 2 teams on the chop based on results when one team gets $2.6 more to spend. Not always a fan of her but it's a very good article. It's on the smh website now to read

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Rebels just sent out a statement to members, have posted in the Rebels thread. Sounds like even if they remain they will be going after the ARU for damages.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
I think it is high time for the ARU to send a delegation to SA and plead the ANC to veto the decision to axe 2 SA teams!:)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^^^^ @ KevinO

Yes, a heavy hit is coming.

Must be that the incredibly corporately and legally experienced ARU board is very carefully and competently guiding this whole 'who'll be culled' process.

Poidevinfan

Bob McCowan (2)
Wow take a time travel back to Monday.
The ARU seemed to be on to it "We will have this resolved within 72 hours"
While the SARU were mumbling something incomprehensible about some convoluted committee and criteria and a process and lots of people.
Now all of a sudden SA's process and management looks really inclusive and switched on.

Status
Not open for further replies.