• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poidevinfan

Bob McCowan (2)
So sorry if this is a stupid question but I just want to understand all the options in the face of how messy this is getting.

Can the ARU turtle if it wants to and say lets keep 5 teams until 2020? Or is it bound by the London agreement and SANZAR now (plus the threat of a telling off from Steve Tew)

Note I personally think turtling is a terrible move but I just want to know

T

TOCC

A key statement (extract) of the Rebels overall statement issued tonight (which btw has the flavour of the Rebels' owners wanting to exit their deal with the ARU and in the process set up for a big negotiation re the 'get out' price to be paid to Cox by the ARU).

"MRRU notes, and is very disappointed to hear and read statements that the board and senior management of the ARU did not believe for many years in the 5 team model and did not believe that model was financially viable. MRRU notes that this concern was not conveyed to Imperium Sports Management prior to its acquisition of MRRU despite the full board and management of the ARU having the opportunity to do so."

That just reads like dollar signs for Cox and his crew....

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am going to call it. Think we will have a decision or a heavy indication by the end of tomorrow's game or Sunday night.

B

BLR

I am going to call it. Think we will have a decision or a heavy indication by the end of tomorrow's game or Sunday night.

Henry Speight to drop the ball when about to score the winning try & will rip his shirt off Hulk Hogan style to reveal a Melbourne Brumbies jersey? Twist: The extra delay & naming of the Force as being cut has actually been the fashion designers taking their time.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Henry Speight to drop the ball when about to score the winning try & will rip his shirt off Hulk Hogan style to reveal a Melbourne Brumbies jersey? Twist: The extra delay & naming of the Force as being cut has actually been the fashion designers taking their time.

That's Gold.

Or they state nothing has actually changed all 18 teams will be there next year, we were just trying to grab some much needed media attention.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Probably for $1k to some mug, who will I onsell it for $4- 5M..

I'm wondering if anyone else sees the irony in Pulver's infamous "pissing it up against the wall" line directed against the clubs.

Even in the last couple of pages we have revelations about $28 million in bailouts over the past 3-4 years, the Brumbies losing $9 million over 3 years, funds splashed around like confetti to various franchises. Legal action in process or looming i.e. "more dollars".

The sheer quantum of money that has been wasted defies belief.

EDIT: And everything points to more money going out the door before this is over.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
That just reads like dollar signs for Cox and his crew..

Yeah ........ and my rather sarcastic comment above was principally that, with all the allegedly sophisticated legal and heavy corporate skills in the ARU board that some posters here have found so impressive, why on earth would the ARU board have exposed themselves so obviously by saying.............

'Years ago we the ARU just privately thought 5 teams - including by clear inference the Rebels - were not financially viable but instead of acting transparently re this concern we induced one new potential franchise owner to relieve us of our financial liabilities on the grounds that the whole of the S15/18 was in fact financially viable and thus so would the Rebels likely be..............'

If the above was in fact what occurred - knowing mispresentarion by the ARU in encouraging and obtaining a financial benefit that would not have been so obtained if the full circumstances of the asset sale or transfer had been openly revealed - then the ARU is potentially in major breach of the Trade Practices Act that strictly prohibits knowing (or should have known) 'false and misleading' representations between buyer and seller of an asset or the transferring of a material liability.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yeah .... and my rather sarcastic comment above was principally that, with all the allegedly sophisticated legal and heavy corporate skills in the ARU board that some posters here have found so impressive, why on earth would the ARU board have exposed themselves so obviously by saying.....

'Years ago we the ARU just privately thought 5 teams - including by clear inference the Rebels - were not financially viable but instead of acting transparently re this concern we induced one new potential franchise owner to relieve us of our financial liabilities on the grounds that the whole of the S15/18 was in fact financially viable and thus so would the Rebels likely be......'

If the above was in fact what occurred - knowing mispresentarion by the ARU in encouraging and obtaining a financial benefit that would not have been so obtained if the full circumstances of the asset sale or transfer had been openly revealed - then the ARU is potentially in major breach of the Trade Practices Act that strictly prohibits knowing (or should have known) 'false and misleading' representations between buyer and seller of an asset or the transferring of a material liability.

I note that John Eales joined the board in 2010. Someone asked a few pages back "Is John Eales a dope?";)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Let's be clear, there is one thing and one thing only that has caused this debacle.

The ARU not implementing a talent equalisation mechanism when the expansion teams were admitted.

They now plan to cut one of the two teams whose wage bill is around half of their 3 personal favourite Real Madrids because their lack of on field success has led to financial problems. Cause and effect cockheads.

Some may argue that spreading the talent more equally may have lead to the Reds and Tahs not wining the title the years they did, but we'll never know. My personal belief is all boats rise with the tide.

Status
Not open for further replies.