• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I just don’t see it the rise of Japan and the US will se a rise in the interest of their national sides not NZs. Yes it will open more secondary markets to sell their games into and the Japanese will be a good match with the time zone so that will deliver some more money to NZ. But I think of NZ if they can’t drive growth of this deal and they return to where they are at struggling to be profitable they are going to be in a world of hurt
Nah - people love a winner.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I just don’t see it the rise of Japan and the US will se a rise in the interest of their national sides not NZs. Yes it will open more secondary markets to sell their games into and the Japanese will be a good match with the time zone so that will deliver some more money to NZ. But I think of NZ if they can’t drive growth of this deal and they return to where they are at struggling to be profitable they are going to be in a world of hurt

I think we may find that the driving of the product internationally will fall into the hands of Silverlake. That's where the growth is. I would doubt this would be their only Rugby play but much like CVC with the English Premiership. Just their first. AS above the easiest way of seeing a return will be using a competitive structure to do that. The RC offers easily the best means to do that. And if they secure the deal it will make negotiations with other Unions notably us a lot smoother.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think we may find that the driving of the product internationally will fall into the hands of Silverlake. That's where the growth is. I would doubt this would be their only Rugby play but much like CVC with the English Premiership. Just their first. AS above the easiest way of seeing a return will be using a competitive structure to do that. The RC offers easily the best means to do that. And if they secure the deal it will make negotiations with other Unions notably us a lot smoother.
I agree buying into the rugby championship is the way to go. We need to include Japan in the rugby championship for financial reasons as well. At the moment you get revenue from home tests and that’s it but if Japan come into the rugby championship all nations get an even cut of the entire deal

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wonder what they would value the Wallabies at.
Wallabies is a better proportion for an investor. As they say buy the worst house on the best street. But in all seriousness we are set to add 11m to our population by 2050. The wallabies in their glory years out rated the AFL and NRL GF. You saw when the soccer side started to win how much more exposure they got. If you invest into rugby Australia you can help turn the code around and regain the fans it lost

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wallabies is a better proportion for an investor. As they say buy the worst house on the best street. But in all seriousness we are set to add 11m to our population by 2050. The wallabies in their glory years out rated the AFL and NRL GF. You saw when the soccer side started to win how much more exposure they got. If you invest into rugby Australia you can help turn the code around and regain the fans it lost
I would really prefer it if we didn't.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

Arguably yes. But how to do ensure you get both? By signing our closest and fiercest rivals first. You sign NZ for $326m USD and then it makes a similar acquisition here easier (not guaranteed but easier) as in theory both countries want to maintain easy relations in order to compete. Especially considering both are set to launch a combined league. From there you target the likes of the Boks and Jags. Remember, while SA teams will now play in the Pro 16 they aren't a party to the CVC deal for the competition. So there's opportunity in that. From there you look to secure growth markets. Most notably Japan and Nth America. And you go from there.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would really prefer it if we didn't.

So would I but I suspect that its inevitable. In my neck of the woods the population has grown 74% in the last decade and is set to do at least that in the next 10 years. Not to mention Badgery's Creek and Bradfield development 20 minutes up the road. Leppington just south of that. Menangle Park, Gilead, Appin, Wilton Town. In just the Macarthur/Wollondilly alone. Where talking the better part of 70k homes planned. Not including the first three I mentioned. No idea how many apartment developments are in the works for the strip from Glenfield station to Macarthur. But from what I can gather. A lot.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

And I'm sure that would be looked at.

dru

David Wilson (68)
So would I but I suspect that its inevitable. In my neck of the woods the population has grown 74% in the last decade and is set to do at least that in the next 10 years. Not to mention Badgery's Creek and Bradfield development 20 minutes up the road. Leppington just south of that. Menangle Park, Gilead, Appin, Wilton Town. In just the Macarthur/Wollondilly alone. Where talking the better part of 70k homes planned. Not including the first three I mentioned. No idea how many apartment developments are in the works for the strip from Glenfield station to Macarthur. But from what I can gather. A lot.

The natural population growth in Australia is negative, isn't it? That growth pretty much relies on migration and COVID has slowed that heaps.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bit of mayo on that they went to an area with a massive Irish community and played Ireland. The ABs aren’t selling out a stadium playing the USA

Yeah, they are. Perhaps not Soldier Field not in the short term but they would be able to do it. Look at the USA. They have a small but growing professional league. Which has 37 nationally broadcast games across CBS and Fox Sports. They've signed two blue chip sponsorship deals in American Airlines and GEICO. During the time off last season they commissioned extensive market reach and determined a growth strategy. They've set up their own OTT platform. They are a progressive league in terms of broadcast targeting a specific market. They are about to launch a pilot program to schools. Something they refer to as a 'ball in a bag' program that provides resources to schools. And they are looking to do this across 60k schools across the USA and Canada by 2023.

Silverlake will be looking to ride this growth as well.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
The natural population growth in Australia is negative, isn't it? That growth pretty much relies on migration and COVID has slowed that heaps.

Think so. But the projections are all still pointing fairly strongly toward growth. And developers are certainly betting on it.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yeah but the vested interests are already banging on the door.

There is definitely a vested interest to get this thread to 1000 pages! Not whinging about the content, I find it very interesting, but it’s not much to do with the thread title!

hoggy

Nev Cottrell (35)

The real growth in Australian rugby will come from a decent Domestic product, this Wallaby fantasy of pots of gold is what got us to our current situation.
A successful Wallabies can help compliment that growth. But just like those wonder years of Wallaby success when apparently we out-rated the AFL/NRL, problem was as soon as the party was over people realized there was fuckall reason to hang around.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, they are. Perhaps not Soldier Field not in the short term but they would be able to do it. Look at the USA. They have a small but growing professional league. Which has 37 nationally broadcast games across CBS and Fox Sports. They've signed two blue chip sponsorship deals in American Airlines and GEICO. During the time off last season they commissioned extensive market reach and determined a growth strategy. They've set up their own OTT platform. They are a progressive league in terms of broadcast targeting a specific market. They are about to launch a pilot program to schools. Something they refer to as a 'ball in a bag' program that provides resources to schools. And they are looking to do this across 60k schools across the USA and Canada by 2023.

Silverlake will be looking to ride this growth as well.
But all this is great for the game but doesn’t help NZ at all. The biggest ground used in MLR is 10k they are a long way off selling out a major stadium for USA to NZ. And I don’t want this to sound disrespectful as I have nothing but respect for all the Americans working tirelessly to grow the game we love

Status
Not open for further replies.