• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Ahh fuck New Zealand and their ivory tower, maybe if they hadn't tried to dictate the terms to Australia they wouldn't have received this backlash, I hope RA goes it alone now.

NZ were so concerned about protecting the competitiveness of their tournament, but will now be scrambling to throw together a brand new teams, and lesser quality Sunwolves.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
From Paul Cully via Twitter:

Asia Pacific Dragons tell me they expect an indication from NZ Rugby in 4-5 days about whether their bid to join Super Rugby in 2022 can proceed.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Weren't they one of those GRR teams?

I suppose they have the word "Pacific" in their name, so can tick off that NZR priority in a you-are-technically-correct-the-best-kind-of-correct manner.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Asia Pacific Dragons tell me they expect an indication from NZ Rugby in 4-5 days about whether their bid to join Super Rugby in 2022 can proceed.

Now that,surely, is an exciting EOI to the NZR proposal. just what they were looking for. :oops:

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)

Jeez... how have they bungled this negotiation so badly, adding the Asia Pacific Dragons to you tournament wont give you any extra weight at the negotiating table.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, if the Australian rugby teams aren't good enough for New Zealand, I'm sure the 2019 Global Rapid Rugby wooden spooners will be much better.
But because NZRU can dictate terms to APD probably have them from of the queue and will come out with some bizzare justification for their inclusion. Caught up with rugby mates yesterday - impressive how much disdain their is for NZRU in the rugby community over their disgraceful actions of seeking to approach clubs direct and not though RA. In some ways done RA a favour as turned previous disdain held towards RA to NZRU whilst also galvanising more support for RA in what they are trying to do.Irony was not lost on my mates.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Exactly NZ only want competitive sides so getting flogged by the side that can’t win a game in super rugby AU must be just that

That post just shows stupidity, if you think the Asian Dragons are going to go in with the team from GRR I really wonder what world you live in. They have made it clear seems they not interested before 2022, so they can recruit players, and get all their cards in order, seems there maybe some discussion with Samoan coach taken place, and they looking at getting players back from Europe. It' just an idea, but aren't you lot pleased at the thought that someone is trying to get something up and running for PI teams? And as for RN's saying NZR can dictate terms amuses me, he obviously either has a lot more info than us ,or is just making stuff up. If anyone reads the write up they have just put in an EOI, as you may even find a few teams have, it not saying they joining just means they want more info, well that's waht happens when I put in EOI for any jobs, it not a contract just saying tell me more.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Jeez. how have they bungled this negotiation so badly, adding the Asia Pacific Dragons to you tournament wont give you any extra weight at the negotiating table.

Why would it give them extra weight? They have sent out EOIs to whoever they thought maybe interested (including 5 NZ clubs it seems) and some people will say we interested, some will say no. It will not give anyone extra weight, they don't need it, RA is already happy to let NZ have more money from TV etc. I think any RU should be testing waters. Haven't RA tried the we will have Sunwolves and Fiji (maybe) as an alternative.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Why would it give them extra weight? They have sent out EOIs to whoever they thought maybe interested (including 5 NZ clubs it seems) and some people will say we interested, some will say no. It will not give anyone extra weight, they don't need it, RA is already happy to let NZ have more money from TV etc. I think any RU should be testing waters. Haven't RA tried the we will have Sunwolves and Fiji (maybe) as an alternative.

And both will be far superior alternatives than the AP Dragons. If the EOI's they've managed so far have been the AP Dragons, the Hawaiian (NZ) bid and two more from Auckland it's hard to see how any of them would have been more competitive than even the Force which while putting up valiant showing are yet to win a game in our competition. Not even taking into account the other 4 Aussie franchises.

None of these EOI's presents NZR with what is desperately needed from their perspective which is commercial sustainability and completely blows up their highest possible quality argument. Because they could have achieved both. Very easily. But have over-egged their perceived position of strength and are now if tomorrow SRA included three of those bids while SRAu included both the above. Super Rugby Au would be the overall stronger competition.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And both will be far superior alternatives than the AP Dragons. If the EOI's they've managed so far have been the AP Dragons, the Hawaiian (NZ) bid and two more from Auckland it's hard to see how any of them would have been more competitive than even the Force which while putting up valiant showing are yet to win a game in our competition. Not even taking into account the other 4 Aussie franchises.

None of these EOI's presents NZR with what is desperately needed from their perspective which is commercial sustainability and completely blows up their highest possible quality argument. Because they could have achieved both. Very easily. But have over-egged their perceived position of strength and are now if tomorrow SRA included three of those bids while SRAu included both the above. Super Rugby Au would be the overall stronger competition.

Ok WCR, I have no idea how good the AP Dragons bid is what their player etc roster would be, but as I have said I not as informed as you lot obviously are. I see you even know who has replied to EOIs, I certainly don't , so I guess I will bow to the more informed posters on here who seem to have an inside source with NZR, either that or just making stuff up. I have only read that AP Dragons maybe putting in one for 2022, and that the Hawaiin outfit that Kaino and are talking about putting one in. I don't even know who they been sent out to, as you lot haven't told me on here;)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Ok WCR, I have no idea how good the AP Dragons bid is what their player etc roster would be, but as I have said I not as informed as you lot obviously are. I see you even know who has replied to EOIs, I certainly don't , so I guess I will bow to the more informed posters on here who seem to have an inside source with NZR, either that or just making stuff up. I have only read that AP Dragons maybe putting in one for 2022, and that the Hawaiin outfit that Kaino and are talking about putting one in. I don't even know who they been sent out to, as you lot haven't told me on here;)

If the mentions of the various groups over the past few weeks across several different sources have been too hard for you to follow then that's your problem. But the facts remain. It is highly unlikely that any of them could provide NZR with the requisite quality they so presumptuously dictated via their call for EOI's in comparison to just getting together with RA and working out the logistics of a 10 team 5/5 TT competition from day one.

Now. In order to achieve anything salvageable they'll have to either publicly back down or go with inferior options. They've fucked up. Things might work themselves out and a 10 team 5/5 split may be achieved but they've tarnished their standing with a primary partner. And something I find interesting is while we Aussie fans have no problem in calling out or criticising our Union for their bungling. Why is it Kiwi's seem so resistant to do the same when it is clear they've cocked things up.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
That post just shows stupidity, if you think the Asian Dragons are going to go in with the team from GRR I really wonder what world you live in. They have made it clear seems they not interested before 2022, so they can recruit players, and get all their cards in order, seems there maybe some discussion with Samoan coach taken place, and they looking at getting players back from Europe. It' just an idea, but aren't you lot pleased at the thought that someone is trying to get something up and running for PI teams? And as for RN's saying NZR can dictate terms amuses me, he obviously either has a lot more info than us ,or is just making stuff up. If anyone reads the write up they have just put in an EOI, as you may even find a few teams have, it not saying they joining just means they want more info, well that's waht happens when I put in EOI for any jobs, it not a contract just saying tell me more.
Because they will recruit so many top player from Europe when they are operating on a far smaller budget.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
so I guess I will bow to the more informed posters on here who seem to have an inside source with NZR, either that or just making stuff up.

Dan, there are posters here of quality, knowledge and understanding. WCR has many years of demonstrating solid information, especially where media sources were slow or non existent, on things like Rugby News from unexpected places.

They've fucked up.

An accurate summary I believe.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Because they will recruit so many top player from Europe when they are operating on a far smaller budget.
Add living away constantly from their families as they are proposing numerous locations to play from home. Plus I’m pretty sure Singapore is about a 7/8hr flight from Auckland. Somethings just don’t make sense and this is one of them, not saying it won’t happen but this is another square peg in a round hole situation. If people want a PI influence team of some capacity I’m adamant it needs to following structure to eventually succeed.

- a Fijian team in the NPC and a combined Samoan/Tongan team in the NPC.
- these two teams create a pathway and extra earning potential for players into a Pacific Islands team that’s based out of Fiji for what ever Super comp is around.
- The PI team can play at a max 1 game out of Fiji with the most logical sense been in Samoa for a 1 off.

Stop all the Frankenstein teams with varying identities, give the teams a logical pathway, be in it for the long run (this is a 10/15yr investment at a minimum)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Dan, there are posters here of quality, knowledge and understanding. WCR has many years of demonstrating solid information, especially where media sources were slow or non existent, on things like Rugby News from unexpected places.

An accurate summary I believe.

It's not hard. I get about on a number of forums and regularly interact with people from a large number of Rugby playing nations. Particularly from T2 and T3 nations. Several of them as it turns out have good links with the game in those countries and are more than willing to tell you if you ask.

But on the EOI's all that has required is reading. They've been mentioned across several sources all freely available. No digging required.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Add living away constantly from their families as they are proposing numerous locations to play from home. Plus I’m pretty sure Singapore is about a 7/8hr flight from Auckland. Somethings just don’t make sense and this is one of them, not saying it won’t happen but this is another square peg in a round hole situation. If people want a PI influence team of some capacity I’m adamant it needs to following structure to eventually succeed.

- a Fijian team in the NPC and a combined Samoan/Tongan team in the NPC.
- these two teams create a pathway and extra earning potential for players into a Pacific Islands team that’s based out of Fiji for what ever Super comp is around.
- The PI team can play at a max 1 game out of Fiji with the most logical sense been in Samoa for a 1 off.

Stop all the Frankenstein teams with varying identities, give the teams a logical pathway, be in it for the long run (this is a 10/15yr investment at a minimum)

First, the AP Dragons and the Singaporean Union left on less than friendly terms last year. So they are no longer and likely won't be based in Singapore unless they repair (or have repaired) that relationship. As for your suggestion. All very solid and practical. So won't happen.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
First, the AP Dragons and the Singaporean Union left on less than friendly terms last year. So they are no longer and likely won't be based in Singapore unless they repair (or have repaired) that relationship. As for your suggestion. All very solid and practical. So won't happen.
Had no idea they had split relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.