• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
More dodgy dealings

Rugby leak claim probed by Senate

An explosive claim that the besieged Australian Rugby Union leaked its confidential Alliance Agreement with RugbyWA to the rival Victorian Rugby Union will be examined by a Senate inquiry into the future of rugby union in Australia.

The agreement, signed by both RugbyWA and the ARU last year, is at the centre of the legal battle to try to keep Western Force alive.

RugbyWA claimed it ensured the governing body had to keep a Super Rugby side in Perth until 2020 when the current broad-casting deal ends.

RugbyWA lost a NSW Supreme Court appeal against arbitration on Tuesday and the ARU cut the club. Force financial backer Andrew Forrest has briefed a legal team to consider a Court of Appeal challenge.

The West Australian has a letter from RugbyWA lawyers Lavan to Tim North, president of the VRU that owns the Rebels, after it bought the Super Rugby licence for $1 from private owner Andrew Cox last month.

The letter claims Mr North told Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry in June he was given a copy of the agreement while RugbyWA was at the centre of the battle to stay alive.

The letter sent on June 23 says that after the extraordinary general meeting of the ARU on June 20, “you stated to Mark Sinderberry that approximately one month ago you were provided with a number of documents by representatives of the ARU, and those documents included a copy of the Alliance Agreement between our client and the ARU”.

The lawyers asked Mr North to confirm whether the ARU had provided him with a copy of the agreement and the circumstances.

The letter states that both parties, RugbyWA and the ARU, were obliged to keep the terms of the agreement strictly confidential.

Mr North said in reply: “Like your client, the Victorian Rugby Union Inc is a voting member of the Australian Rugby Union Ltd and is subject to the obligations and benefits of that status under the constitution. It therefore declines your requests”.

A spokeswoman for Mr North said he did not want to comment.

An ARU spokesman said: “The ARU respected the terms of the alliance agreement. ARU did not distribute the agreement, or words from the agreement to any third party”.

When asked about the allegations, a Rebels spokesman said: “Thanks for reaching out to us but we’re not going to make any comments on the litigation between the ARU and RugbyWA.”

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/rugby-leak-claim-probed-by-senate-ng-b88592099z

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In many ways despite my criticism of the ARU I don't know if I am supportive of this Senate Committee review. But I guess if they come out with nothing it will help to restore ARU credibility which is damaged at the moment.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
From that article:

Also....

Yes was wondering when the exodus would start. As clear players will move where they can. This new comp will be more for the WF players who can't otherwise get a contract which is ok and good as at least provides a pathway for them and a starting point for this new comp (assuming happens which of course still a long way from happening).

T

TOCC

TOCC is talking about the SANZAAR meeting where it was agreed to reduce the comp to 15 teams (at least I'm pretty sure that's what he's talking about).

Yes the meeting in London.. where the ARU agreed to cut a team in a binding contract, which to break would cost tens of $millions.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
It's just a guess - maybe they mean $30million over the $50 million he proposed, so it's the extra $30 million we need to work out, not $62 million? $30 million seems like a lot to pay back other teams for loss of match earnings though, given the crowd sizes this past season.

Hmmm ... assume $30 million.

Let's be generous and assume that there are no costs to running a home game.
15 home games to adjust for
Crowd of 20,000
Thus results in an average ticket of $100 ($30.000.000 / 15 / 20,000)

Sounds a little high really.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

Hmmm . assume $30 million.

Let's be generous and assume that there are no costs to running a home game.
15 home games to adjust for
Crowd of 20,000
Thus results in an average ticket of $100 ($30.000.000 / 15 / 20,000)

Sounds a little high really.
Sponsors like home games too!

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Ah yes. Nick Taylor and his very entertaining pieces of fan-fiction.

Players "vow" not to play for the Rebels? Wessels "vows" not to coach the Rebels?

Twiggy-Ball "vows" to take huge chunks out of SANZAAR, The West Oz newspaper "vows" to be the best damn hyperbolic publication in the the friggin' universe dammit, and I "vow" to stop snacking on tim-tams after 8pm.

We'll see. Vows are cheap.

Daz, there really does seem to be as bit of undeserved vitriol aimed at the Force and their supporters coming through in your latest posts. Doesn't endear the Rebels and their cause to me at all.

M

Moono75

Daz, there really does seem to be as bit of undeserved vitriol aimed at the Force and their supporters coming through in your latest posts. Doesn't endear the Rebels and their cause to me at all.

Oh yes....we have noticed too.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Oh yes..we have noticed too.

+3.

Odd as one is one of the Rebel voices calling for respect around the player assignment thing. Right now though, Rebels were always an Aus B team for me, for most Reds fans actually. I won't be like that in 2018.

D

daz

Golly, your opinion of a club is based on a few posts on the internet? How awfully shallow, old boy.

I have nothing against the Force. Moronic comments by anyone, supporters and journo's, should be called out. Mine as well. Happy with that.

Vitriol is a bit of a strong word, though. Let's say that occasionally, the levels of idiocy and conspiracy dribble deserve a bit of a return serve.

D

daz

Oh yes..we have noticed too.

Seriously? Guess I should tell my old mates Cam and Bill I won't be at the game this weekend. I'll watch it at home in Melbourne with Clarkey. He's a funny fellow. You'd like him.

D

daz

+3.

Odd as one is one of the Rebel voices calling for respect around the player assignment thing. Right now though, Rebels were always an Aus B team for me, for most Reds fans actually. I won't be like that in 2018.

No probs dru. It's really for the best. The Reds probably need all your support, not just a portion of it, don't you think?

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm in shock that daz is a mod.
Oh no I'm not this is the internet and theres stranger things like baby pandas on blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.