• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I disagree as a professional sports administrator not blinded by politics of rugby or bias by its traditions with good leadership skills to harness good Rugby brains could make a big difference if right candidate. But they are hard to find and hard to find for sort of money we could offer. I think Bill Pulver is ok but quality of other aru key board and management positions could be improved as don't believe well supported there. But money would be a restriction here as rugby not been awash with cash for some time.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Maybe we could conduct an exhaustive worldwide search for the right man?;)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just out of interest, do Australian posters support an Oz team being cut?

I think I'd actually support the dumping of the lot of them. All season so far we have had 30 minutes of good rugby from an Australian side, the Reds v the Crusaders. Last year around this stage it was about the same with the Brumbies v the Canes if I remember rightly in the first round.

The advantages of no more super rugby would be not having to put up with an Australian commentary team doing nothing but make excuses for the abysmal lack of core skills, in fact in tonight's Tahs V Ponies game Kafer went into great depth to set the ground work for his game long excuse, a sheen of mud on the ball.

RUPA have done a great job of milking the Pro cow and garnering very high payments for players masquerading as professionals.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think I'd actually support the dumping of the lot of them. All season so far we have had 30 minutes of good rugby from an Australian side, the Reds v the Crusaders. Last year around this stage it was about the same with the Brumbies v the Canes if I remember rightly in the first round.

The advantages of no more super rugby would be not having to put up with an Australian commentary team doing nothing but make excuses for the abysmal lack of core skills, in fact in tonight's Tahs V Ponies game Kafer went into great depth to set the ground work for his game long excuse, a sheen of mud on the ball.

RUPA have done a great job of milking the Pro cow and garnering very high payments for players masquerading as professionals.
There's a lot to be said for your view but we can't just give up.
Kafer must remember that once the balls were leather and there was a cricket pitch in the middle: that's an excuse for poor handling!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

And yet Kiwi teams, playing with the same type of balls, can turn on high class displays of rugby in much worse and sometimes appalling conditions.

The basic skills on display from professional athletes leaves something to be desired. I lost count of the number of times that Waratah players had to either prop or slow down to take a pass as it was behind them. Sometimes the support players were too flat, sometimes it was a poor pass and sometimes it was both. As for the number of times that both teams turned the ball over in contact, quite disappointing. It's rugby 101 that in the wet you need to hold the ball much more securely than when it's dry.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
One that accepts residents stickers - Rosherville reserve, only the locals know where it is

Shore Old Boys meeting going on underneath that tree I think.;)

Pulver brought the wine and Hawker the nibbles.

rosherville-reserve-chinamans-beach.jpg

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Meanwhile The Cowboys are playing manly in Townsville. It's 9:30pm. It's been raining. It's 30 degrees and there is 80% humidity. They're not dropping the ball half as often as the Tahs.
Clearly we need to start using a Steeden instead of a Gilbert.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Clubs cant survive on less than 8 home games.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Go full Currie Cup.

Add 3 teams to the NRC along with the Fiji side.

If Super Rugby stays in the current form:

Super Rugby Rounds 1-6: Super U20s
Super Rugby Rounds 7-17: NRC Qualifying (Everyone home or away)

NRC Division 1 and division 2: Top 6 and bottom 6 from Qualifying play each other Home & Away

Finals: Top Division 1 vs Top Division 3 & Top Division 2 v Bottom Division 1

Players largely play within their Super and Club sides locations for the Qualifying stage, but then can switch to their "preferred" side for the 2nd stage.

This allows for lots of domestic games, and a real Championship where teams that may seem hard done by in the first stage still get a chance to win.

And easy switch set up for a 22 game season should​ the Soup Collapse.

And the 3 extra sides could easily be Club sides to extend that olive branch if you're inclined that way, or give them a "put up or shut up" if you're the opposite.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would love our own currie cup as extension of NRC. Maybe we set this up with some basic broadcaster support...ok it will be a semi pro competition and probably step below current NRC level, as would only have Super Rugby players not in match day squads allocated. Meaning probably at best top club players with some broadcast money allowing for a few marquees, but we create a real third tier national competition and got to start somewhere....and yes starting to put foundations in place should Super Rugby collapse so we have some sort of plan b then putting all our eggs in one basket.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Sorry Brumbies, you're gone. One does not simply show up in Sydney and beat the Tahs. What were you thinking? Pulver must have the long term interests of the game in mind and can't afford a bad team in one of the rugby strongholds.

If you know what is good for losing in Brisbane would be a smart option too.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Sorry Brumbies, you're gone. One does not simply show up in Sydney and beat the Tahs. What were you thinking? Pulver must have the long term interests of the game in mind and can't afford a bad team in one of the rugby strongholds.

If you know what is good for losing in Brisbane would be a smart option too.

Mate, if that was the determining factor, Brumbies would have been cut years ago. ;)
I'm revising my prediction for the Tahs coming 4th in the conference downwards. They are all sorts of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.