• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep. But I think it is going to happen anyway in 2020, so let's get it over with now and start to move on.

Rip the band aid off. No point letting it fester.

It's why I have suggested the inclusion of the Top League teams. We need to re-align with Asia leading into 2019. Japan offers a far larger market than the Pro 12 and SA combined.

Ideally, we'd see the Jaguares look to follow SA to Europe (timezones work better and flight are fairly comparable) and we could go with 5 from each Aus, NZ and Japan.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That fella Craig Ray can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned. Near as I can tell the Saffers bring as little in terms of crowds and money as we do right now. They certainly aren't bringing much in terms of quality either. His statement that we can't sustain even four teams is ridiculous. When was the last time a Saffer team won a title laughing boy? Two different Aussie franchises have won it since the Bulls did it in 2010.

I agree with others here. Bring an end to this unseemly mess and walk away. Everyone. I can't see this getting any better.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Rip the band aid off. No point letting it fester.

It's why I have suggested the inclusion of the Top League teams. We need to re-align with Asia leading into 2019. Japan offers a far larger market than the Pro 12 and SA combined.

Ideally, we'd see the Jaguares look to follow SA to Europe (timezones work better and flight are fairly comparable) and we could go with 5 from each Aus, NZ and Japan.

I would expect NZ to do something funky. Not interested in a second rate comp with Aus.

I am all the same ready to rip off the band aid. Preparation though. 5 in Soup to 2020, plan effectively for what comes next.

dru

David Wilson (68)
His statement that we can't sustain even four teams is ridiculous.

I agree with others here. Bring an end to this unseemly mess and walk away. Everyone. I can't see this getting any better.

He is only reiterating Clynne's defence for shrinking our way to greatness.

I can only agree with walking in preference to cutting.

dru

David Wilson (68)
So we should sustain our 5 teams and plan for post 2020.

If they axe teams then try bring em back in another comp, i feel the damage already done will be irreparable

There we go, intelligence in action. Can you imagine the following discussion 2021 in either Melbourne or Perth "Hi guys, look I know it got uncomfortable there. But we want a National footprint and need you back."

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Okay lads here’s the new plan:
1. The ARU want 4 teams so cut the Rebels
2. The VRU disaffiliate from the ARU and affiliate with the NZRU
3. NZRU expand to 6 teams with their new Melbourne based team
4. NZRU play one of three Bledisloes in Melbourne at the MCG $10 m to NZRU every second year (circa 100,000 X $100= $10 m)
5. NZRU allocate players to new Melbourne based team – no problems attracting highly talented NZ players who want to play and live here, same for the coaches,

6. New Melbourne based team players qualify for both AB and Wallabies selection

7. The 250,000 kiwis that live in Melbourne have their own team to support and be members of their own club

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Okay lads here’s the new plan:
1. The ARU want 4 teams so cut the Rebels
2. The VRU disaffiliate from the ARU and affiliate with the NZRU
3. NZRU expand to 6 teams with their new Melbourne based team
4. NZRU play one of three Bledisloes in Melbourne at the MCG $10 m to NZRU every second year (circa 100,000 X $100= $10 m)
5. NZRU allocate players to new Melbourne based team – no problems attracting highly talented NZ players who want to play and live here, same for the coaches,

6. New Melbourne based team players qualify for both AB and Wallabies selection

7. The 250,000 kiwis that live in Melbourne have their own team to support and be members of their own club

Only flaw I see is point 6 nz don't set the rules regarding qualification thats set by World Rugby based on residency and as Melbourne is for all intents and purposes ipart of Australia players wouldn't be able to play for nz other wise good plan...........

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Only flaw I see is point 6 nz don't set the rules regarding qualification thats set by World Rugby based on residency and as Melbourne is for all intents and purposes ipart of Australia players wouldn't be able to play for nz other wise good plan.....

ok so they can play for the Wallabies? win-win

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
I like lines . They're good to read between. So here's my read. Sindeberry has gone very soft and compliant on the ARU front the last week. I smell impending fatality here. Then we read Coleman has signed with the Rebels ..even though he denied . What else could he do? Hartley signed. So the Rebs are uber confident. Tells me their safe. Don't be surprised that as part of this arbitration Rebels get to have an expanded squad at no extra cost. Starting with Wessels, LAurie Fisher as assistant and buckets of other Force lads looking for houses in Richmond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What odds will I get for the following post 31/07?

The ARU and Rugby WA hold a joint press conference. The exact terms and proceedings of the arbitration hearing will remain strictly confidential.

The ARU and Rugby WA greatly regret the damage that has been done to Rugby in Australia from this protracted dispute and in hindsight it is apparent that this matter could have been handled better with more care to the sensibilities of all parties involved. However if we have to look for positives from this and we must moving forward, the passion and commitment fans, players and administrators have shown for Rugby has been overwhelming. It is with profound sorrow and regret that the ARU and Rugby WA have reached and agreement that the Force will not contest Super Rugby following the end of the 2017 season. This decision is not one that has been taken lightly and Rugby WA has come to see that for the long term growth and sustainability of Rugby in Australia this is the only path forward. Today Rugby WA and the ARU can announce that all player contracts will be honoured and where possible players will be given the option to relocate to other Australian Super Franchises with assistance for such costs. Furthermore Rugby WA will maintain its development program with full participation in the National Rugby Championship so that the continued production of future Wallaby stars that we have recently seen starring on the international stage continues. The ARU remains fully committed to Rugby in WA and when we have achieved a more stable financial state we look forward to the resumption of the Force in Super Rugby.

I would then expect a number of coaching and administrative staff to appear in ARU funded positions over the following 6 to 12 months. The case will be closed and no details of the event can be disclosed due to various non-disclosure agreements etc. Surely this scenario closely follows the Standard ARU Operating Procedures as historically shown to give a best outcome for the ARU.

Outcome for the ARU that is, NOT Australian Rugby.

So people, what odds?

B

BLR

So people, what odds?

Or the odds Cox will realise with a few more years of monetary losses and the inevitable break up of Super Rugby he will be left with a franchise that he can no longer sell off for the price he could get today?

3 months is a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.