• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Just a hypothetical question purely out of curiosity for the legal minds out there:

Say a bunch of people from this forum came up with a an idea for a domestic comp, and took it to the powers, and they thought it was such a good idea that it was implemented. Is there a way that the said bunch of people could protect said idea prior to taking it to the powers so that they effectively owned the rights to the new competition?

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Just a hypothetical question purely out of curiosity for the legal minds out there:

Say a bunch of people from this forum came up with a an idea for a domestic comp, and took it to the powers, and they thought it was such a good idea that it was implemented. Is there a way that the said bunch of people could protect said idea prior to taking it to the powers so that they effectively owned the rights to the new competition?
Make sure your idea is only known by the creators/keep it extremely private. Then when approaching the ARU, make them sign a confidentiality agreement before you show them. Your idea would have to be novel enough that the ARU wouldn't/couldn't have reasonably dreamt it up.

Edit: no idea about owning the rights to the competition.. Don't think the ARU would ever agree to not owning the rights. They must just pay you for your contribution and build off your idea.

T

TOCC

On the topic of SANZAAR bunglings, the Blues vs Reds match in Samoa had plenty of merit but missed the mark when it came to implementation. Pricing for ticket set the game up for failure, and whilst there was plenty of interest in both teams from the public, the fans couldnt afford the $100 that it cost to sit in the stands, leaving the attendance falling wel short of anticipated. Fans lined the streets to wave flags at the busses as they drove to the ground, but couldn't afford to actually enter the ground.

It's a bad look for Super Rugby for things like this to occur, it's where Super Rugby(SANZAAR) should be directing more influence to protect it's own image and expand the competitions foot print.

But, SANZAAR and Super Rugby governance in its current form is unable to provide such leadership.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know this is not got a lot to do with this discussion, but was in car with radio on and some leaguies were discussing their game, they seemed to think NRL has stuffed game up, they had a plan in 2012 tthat was going to increase crowds at games etc etc, but numbers are down, the grassroots of the game are feeling let down with no support, and clubs have no confidence in the NRL board. Hell doesn't that sound familiar?? Is it all sports in Aus (and around the world) that are off side with stakeholders or is it just that stakeholders expect to much?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Cheika was on Offisders on ABC today.
Suggested that the ARU are looking after the interests of rugby in Australia, whereas (as I understood him) it might be said that in the past they had endeavoured too cater for the interests of both oz rugby and their joint venture partners in super rugby.
I know this is not got a lot to do with this discussion, but was in car with radio on and some leaguies were discussing their game, they seemed to think NRL has stuffed game up, they had a plan in 2012 tthat was going to increase crowds at games etc etc, but numbers are down, the grassroots of the game are feeling let down with no support, and clubs have no confidence in the NRL board. Hell doesn't that sound familiar?? Is it all sports in Aus (and around the world) that are off side with stakeholders or is it just that stakeholders expect to much?

Depends which league identities are talking.
Broadcasting more games is not going to improve Crowds, IMO.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^

Dan you devil you.:)

Did anyone watch Offsiders today. MC was a guest panellist.

I was disappointed in what MC said about our current position.

I understand the golden rules i.e never bite the hand that feeds you and if you are going to knife someone do it in private not public.

His response was one rugby is big internationally, lots of volunteers, lots of park teams and so on. On the whole he painted quite a positive outlook.

Ange Postecoglou often critics FFA.

Just wish he could have said a tad more rather than put on a front of everything will work out in the end and its just a rough batch we are going through.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Also made a hardly veiled observation that the problems the ARU/rugby is facing is in the minds of the rugby league journalists. Noticeable too that he had a very smug look on him as he leant as far back in the chair as was possible after answering each question.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Cheika was on Offisders on ABC today.
Suggested that the ARU are looking after the interests of rugby in Australia, whereas (as I understood him) it might be said that in the past they had endeavoured too cater for the interests of both oz rugby and their joint venture partners in super rugby.

Depends which league identities are talking.
Broadcasting more games is not going to improve Crowds, IMO.

Well I think it was Girdler, Tallis, though I not sure as I don't follow the game. I wasn't defending anyone or anything,just struck me not many are happy with anyone that runs their sport!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Also made a hardly veiled observation that the problems the ARU/rugby is facing is in the minds of the rugby league journalists. Noticeable too that he had a very smug look on him as he leant as far back in the chair as was possible after answering each question.

I saw him at Easts lunch on Friday with tony Squires asking the questions. Same responses, all ending (as they nearly all do) "...... you know what I mean".
Clyne and JON also in the room but left before the spontaneous alcohol fuelled lynching had time to organise.
Well I think it was Girdler, Tallis, though I not sure as I don't follow the game. I wasn't defending anyone or anything,just struck me not many are happy with anyone that runs their sport!

Well I just watched the 2nd half of the Raiders v Eagles. FFS I don't understand how that game is so popular. My impression was that they were playing to survive to extra time knowing that was the only way to land a killer blow. The mindless fans think this indicates a close comp but I suspect it is actually the result of everyone playing within themselves in order to minimise mistakes.
Tallis and those blokes don't like the suits and want more revenue sharing, I think.

T

TOCC

Difference is that the NRL/rugby league has merely plateaued and in some cases had small drop offs in participation, whereas rugby union KPI's are much more dramatic and in some areas the game has completely fallen off the cliff

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

What meds is MC on? FFS, we appreciate the need for big-time PR from him, but that is just wilfully, wildly delusional and as such will alienate more rugby fans than encourage them.

And he can be smug. Except after every time EJ (Eddie Jones) out-coaches him, then we see the other side.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And he can be smug. Except after every time EJ (Eddie Jones) out-coaches him, then we see the other side.

I'll bet he's looking forward to locking coaching horns with Richard Graham (backs coach of Georgia) at RWC 2019.

And as an aside, I noted that in Melbourne last night we had "heavy dew" rather than ordinary dew, which as per usual was used to explain the poor handling.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'll bet he's looking forward to locking coaching horns with Richard Graham (backs coach of Georgia) at RWC 2019.

And as an aside, I noted that in Melbourne last night we had "heavy dew" rather than ordinary dew, which as per usual was used to explain the poor handling.

What happened in Melbourne?

Status
Not open for further replies.