• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs vs Lions. Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
You wear a suit to the footie? Had you just come from work? Righto, excused then.

So Carter walked right into you?
Yeah, he can't even sidestep an amateur! (No offence, Riddler; I'm sure you look very professional in the suit!!).

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lee Grant said:
You wear a suit to the footie? Had you just come from work? Righto, excused then.

So Carter walked right into you?

Are you sure he wasn't running, nit walking? IT would be easy to get the two confused.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Did anyone see the halftime activity? Should have been a couple of Renegades out there...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
TheRiddler said:
The Tahs werent that good, the Lions were that bad!

Congrats for a great win but if anyone thinks we've turned a corner and all the problems of the last 18 months have gone away then they're kidding themselves. As more astute and insightful posters than myself have already commented, there are still a number of areas of concern and my worry is that last night's result will simply paper over the cracks - for the time being!

so therefore i take it that there was nothing the tahs could have done last night in any way that would have made you happy?
the Lions are able to use excuses and there acceptable cos they didnt push the brumbies last week?
the tahs played well, you all put the boot in for a week or two, they played a full 80 minutes of good, give em credit, local derby next week, we will see if they can keep it up then

S

Spook

waratahjesus said:
the Lions are able to use excuses and there acceptable cos they didnt push the brumbies last week?

umm well 100mm rain did rain night and the Brumbies blew plenty of chances with the wet ball. Like the Tahs they came back from SA. The Lions were absolutely woeful. The Tahs scored from 80 metres out from dropped ball on so many occasions. No fault of the Tahs but the Lions were as bad as anything I've seen. Would you be happy with the Wallabies beating Namibia by 80? Would that show how well we'd perform against the All Blacks? Tahs were good but jesus you get carried away.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
waratahjesus said:
TheRiddler said:
The Tahs werent that good, the Lions were that bad!

Congrats for a great win but if anyone thinks we've turned a corner and all the problems of the last 18 months have gone away then they're kidding themselves. As more astute and insightful posters than myself have already commented, there are still a number of areas of concern and my worry is that last night's result will simply paper over the cracks - for the time being!

so therefore i take it that there was nothing the tahs could have done last night in any way that would have made you happy?
the tahs played well, you all put the boot in for a week or two, they played a full 80 minutes of good, give em credit, local derby next week, we will see if they can keep it up then

As soon as they play one of the kiwi sides, they will go back into their shell again. Good win yes. Turned the corner, hell no.
A mate of mine is down from Darwin for cancer treatment and was at the game. Happy they gave him somthing to smile about as he is the most loyal of Tah's supporters.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
im not getting carried away, the Tahs can only play whats in front of them and everyone was going on about them needing to run, show more skill etc etc, they did and now no one is happy cos it was only the lions?

honestly, the brumbies showed against the sharks tonight that the sharks were no easy beats and the tahs did alright just to get the win last week.

credit were its due, they had the lions in the draw and they put them away like no other team thats played the lions have this year, they did what you all complained that they wernt doing, so give em a pat on the back, thats all im saying, next weeks game is next weeks game, but as of this moment, the tahs played a fantastic 80 minutes of attacking rugby and great defence, sure there is still things they did poorly, but the majority was right and deserves to be acknowledged

P

PhucNgo

waratahjesus said:
im not getting carried away, the Tahs can only play whats in front of them and everyone was going on about them needing to run, show more skill etc etc, they did and now no one is happy cos it was only the lions?

honestly, the brumbies showed against the sharks tonight that the sharks were no easy beats and the tahs did alright just to get the win last week.

credit were its due, they had the lions in the draw and they put them away like no other team thats played the lions have this year, they did what you all complained that they wernt doing, so give em a pat on the back, thats all im saying, next weeks game is next weeks game, but as of this moment, the tahs played a fantastic 80 minutes of attacking rugby and great defence, sure there is still things they did poorly, but the majority was right and deserves to be acknowledged

You must be off the grog. That sounds half way sensible.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Good point, WJ. They at least deserve credit for their win. Keeping the roll on will be the challenge.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Dick Muir described it well

Lions coach Dick Muir said it was a poor showing by his side, but felt the Waratahs deserved huge credit, especially on defence.

“We wanted to come out and play this evening. Unfortunately the Waratahs defence was outstanding and they didn't give us too much space to move in,” Muir said.

“When we turned the ball over they just capitalised on that and it looked like we didn't have any defence.”

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And that's the difference more than anything. The Lions put that massive score past the Chiefs because the Mooloos let them offload in the second half (having thought they'd sewn it up). The Tahs absolutely belted them and used counterattack ball well.

Look WJ, I'll lay it out: I'm thrilled with their performance. The fact that they chanced their arm even when things went wrong will keep me smiling for at least another 4 days. But I still reserve the right to point out that a lot of that offload and short passing game will not come off against a side that wants to commit to a little tackling.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i agree with you NTA, its just with so much negativity in the last few weeks, the team went out and played how people wanted them to, i dont think there is anything wrong with being happy about it.

S

Spook

Well the Tahs were very good and you can they did show the critics to be muppets. Howerver, that's probably the only game the Tahs should have won so far.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
TheRiddler said:
Congrats for a great win..

Very poor form quoting oneself I know but just to remind WJ that I did have some positive words to say. However, and as reiterated by other posters, the performance was just as much due to the Lions being woeful than the Tahs being outstanding. How many Tahs tries were due to scintillating moves and well rehearsed and executed set pieces vs pouncing (albeit very well) on Lions mistakes.

R

rugbywhisperer

I really don't know what all the Tahs fans are crowing about.
To me it was a mediocre performance against a team that could lose to a walla rugby outfit.
I saw this article this morning and it summed it up nicely - http://www.15manrugby.com/

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
rw - the author of that article should immediately be discounted based on the following statement:

The Brumbies showed they are on the improve against a slightly better opposition than the Lions, they now look like they will be somewhat of a threat. Cream always rises to the top and I thought George Smith was outstanding in this match.

What rot.

S

Spook

Brilliant piece of writing. NTA, you've plenty of time to get me a christmas present this year. :thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.