• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs vs Lions. Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Bring in Mowen for Dennis
Bring in anyone (Beale is my pick) for Anesi
Bring in Horne for Carter

there's 3 improvements for you, but in a sense you are right - the style of play is the main problem no matter who is on the field

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Langthorne said:

there's 3 improvements for you, but in a sense you are right - the style of play is the main problem no matter who is on the field

Dennis is playing pretty well, it would be a shame to lose that. Dennis to lock for Mumm then Mowen to 6?

Beale is better than Anesi for sure BUT if you switch the two you suddenly have 3 playmakers and only 3 ballrunners (one of which is Carter).

Horne for Carter would make for a very small backline. Not saying this is bad... but still small.

Hickey's selections aren't completely without merit. He has to play to his squads strengths. It isn't the kind of squad that can play attractive rugby.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
en_force_er said:
Langthorne said:

Dennis is playing pretty well, it would be a shame to lose that. Dennis to lock for Mumm then Mowen to 6?

Beale is better than Anesi for sure BUT if you switch the two you suddenly have 3 playmakers and only 3 ballrunners (one of which is Carter).

Horne for Carter would make for a very small backline. Not saying this is bad... but still small.

Hickey's selections aren't completely without merit. He has to play to his squads strengths. It isn't the kind of squad that can play attractive rugby.

horne (if he is fit) is a great defender so the size of the backline wouldnt matter all that much, i have a feeling his fitness is down otherwise he would be used more.

i agree mumm hasnt set the world on fire but i think the tahs are a better team with him calling the lineouts and being ont he park. i would drop dennis for mowen at the moment simply based on mowen seemingly being more creative.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Mumm was just such an idiot against the Sharks last week, giving away at least three penalties by my count, that he needs a talking to as a minimum and a benching as a maximum. Hopefully he settles down this week

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
en_force_er said:

May I politely inquire who it is that has built, molded and developed (I use that last term very loosely) that squad over the past 18 months or so?

Yea, that's right, thought so....... :'(

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't agree that his squad's strengths preclude good attacking ball-in-hand rugby. The squad has some wonderful talent but the coaching team cannot imagine a gameplan that will harness it, so they revert to safety-first.

Its the selection of the starting 15 that does that. Select Mowen on the bench behind Mumm/Dennis, select Carter at 13, select Anese even though its not working, select two playmakers at 10/12 with Barnes off-colour too, allow Burgess to run every time he gets his hand on the ball, those are the things that ensure that we play with the current style.

If Betham and Nadolo were sharing a wing, Sidey at 13 until Horne's hammy is up to it, Turner at 15 and Beale/Barnes sharing 12 until Barnes form recovers, Hangers playing closer to the advantage line, Burgess told to pass immediately off the ground 90% of the time then rugby would break out.

Then use the pick-and-go from the base as a surprise by using forward pods 5m off the ruck receiving 20-30% of Burgess's early ball. Mowen plays six for the first 65 then takes over 7 (Waugh is having little impact in the last 15 minutes and appears to have over-worked himself; but you cannot criticise his heart, its immense), Mumm/Dennis comes on at 6.

That team, along with the most awesome scrum in the competition, has the potential to play a game of rugby that would blow teams off the park. That's why Tah fans are so critical of what is dished up, we KNOW it could be so much better.

P

PhucNgo

Hawko said:
I don't agree that his squad's strengths preclude good attacking ball-in-hand rugby. The squad has some wonderful talent but the coaching team cannot imagine a gameplan that will harness it, so they revert to safety-first.

Its the selection of the starting 15 that does that. Select Mowen on the bench behind Mumm/Dennis, select Carter at 13, select Anese even though its not working, select two playmakers at 10/12 with Barnes off-colour too, allow Burgess to run every time he gets his hand on the ball, those are the things that ensure that we play with the current style.

If Betham and Nadolo were sharing a wing, Sidey at 13 until Horne's hammy is up to it, Turner at 15 and Beale/Barnes sharing 12 until Barnes form recovers, Hangers playing closer to the advantage line, Burgess told to pass immediately off the ground 90% of the time then rugby would break out.

Then use the pick-and-go from the base as a surprise by using forward pods 5m off the ruck receiving 20-30% of Burgess's early ball. Mowen plays six for the first 65 then takes over 7 (Waugh is having little impact in the last 15 minutes and appears to have over-worked himself; but you cannot criticise his heart, its immense), Mumm/Dennis comes on at 6.

That team, along with the most awesome scrum in the competition, has the potential to play a game of rugby that would blow teams off the park. That's why Tah fans are so critical of what is dished up, we KNOW it could be so much better.

Good to see that someone remains positive. These suggestions are far too sensible Hawko. They'll never fly.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Dare I ask if anyone is going to the game? Hard to do beers after the game as Mrs Riddler likes to get away asap. However, a couple of loosners beforehand could be just what is needed to dumb the senses for following 80 minutes. Paddo? Clock? Fox & Lion? Maybe a 6pm meet?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Hawko said:

sidey is a poor mans carter to begin with, but other than that what i dont understand is the solution people keep coming up with is that the team plays like every single team trains. It fine in training hell my forth grade side trains like that but it means your playing against virtually no defence, the moment you have pressure or slowed ball at a ruck you cant run the game plan. it would be great if you could, but its not going to work even 20% of the time

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
TheRiddler said:
Dare I ask if anyone is going to the game? Hard to do beers after the game as Mrs Riddler likes to get away asap. However, a couple of loosners beforehand could be just what is needed to dumb the senses for following 80 minutes. Paddo? Clock? Fox & Lion? Maybe a 6pm meet?

Ill probably be sneaking in a quick loosener at the Light Brigade or Phoenix before hand.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Hawko said:

The current rules favour late 90s Brumbies style recycling of possession. Why go wide & risk turnovers ?

What they are doing makes sense. Pick & drive. Repeat. Work through Palu & TPN, our most dynamic ball runners. Burgess runs/offloads as variations.

That needs to be executed better:
-When we do need to distribute to the backs, we can't have Phil Waugh murdering the attack at first receiver.
- We have to add variety to the pick & drive with quick driving mauls instead of predictably going to ground
- We have to raise the intensity & kick the pace up instead of allowing defences to regroup

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
The Waratahs spent much of Monday’s training session addressing their re-start woes.

“Technically, we need to get there a little bit quicker, we need to set a little bit earlier and then that takes the pressure off the catcher,” Hickey said.

Excellent to hear. I can feel a Lion taming coming on.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
naza said:
Hawko said:

The current rules favour late 90s Brumbies style recycling of possession. Why go wide & risk turnovers ?

What they are doing makes sense. Pick & drive. Repeat. Work through Palu & TPN, our most dynamic ball runners. Burgess runs/offloads as variations.

That needs to be executed better:
-When we do need to distribute to the backs, we can't have Phil Waugh murdering the attack at first receiver.
- We have to add variety to the pick & drive with quick driving mauls instead of predictably going to ground
- We have to raise the intensity & kick the pace up instead of allowing defences to regroup

Couldnt agree more. Did you see the Cheetahs use Smith as a latcher on the hooker and he effectively drove him through the defender and into the clear? Imagine Palu and TPN being attached and coming at you near top speed.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I bet the Waratahs turn up with their A game this weekend. It will be an open game and will be raining tries. Part of the frustration of being a Tahs supporter at the moment I guess.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I predict another close win for the Tahs. Muir is a wiley bugger and will devise a game plan that will make it hard for the Tahs to spread the ball.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Spec I always thought yur a Red boytjie? :nta:

Promise you lot, the Lions will target this match. Dick Muir has ran out of excuses and they'll be ready for this one. If I remember correct last time they visit there they nearly cause a upset.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
PaarlBok said:
Spec I always thought yur a Red boytjie? :nta:

Promise you lot, the Lions will target this match. Dick Muir has ran out of excuses and they'll be ready for this one. If I remember correct last time they visit there they nearly cause a upset.
Quite right Paarl, Red boytjie through and through. Just worded it badly. I meant frustration for Tah's supporters, not that I am one.Quite the opposite. :)

Blue, hope you're right, close games are usually the best to watch.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
TheRiddler said:
May I politely inquire who it is that has built, molded and developed (I use that last term very loosely) that squad over the past 18 months or so?

Yea, that's right, thought so....... :'(

True true. I'm no fan of Hickey personally I just don't think he is the bumbling idiot like some other people.

Really the man should be ashamed of himself, he set back the whole "select the best Sydney grade coach to coach the Waratahs" theory back. Now they will all have to do time in Europe first, which is a completely different culture and playing style. Damn shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.