• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs vs Crusaders 2014 Super Rugby Grand Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have no idea what the marketing budget is or how much various things cost but I do feel like I see the taxi ads a lot. They seem like they're good value.

Not sure where money could be better utilised aside from just increasing the spend.

I really think they're slow starters on the social media front, which needs more boost to involve fans. Competitions, giveaways, all that sort of thing is where the budget should go.

I tried the app on Android - its shit, mainly because the waratahs don't have an m-site. Massive lag in terms of social media there.

Cheika seems to be the only one who understood that getting the players out to junior training nights etc. was the best way to spread the word, press the flesh, and get noticed. Up until he arrived that just didn't happen, and coming from AFL, Allen should have been the first one onto that.

Will be interesting to see where next year's pre-season games are allocated in terms of making some ground there and capitalising on the rural games in the NRC.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
For fuck's sake mate the team just won the fucking grand final and you still want to put the boot in.

Jason Allen should be applauded for the team he has assembled both on and off the field, and turning around rugby in NSW. They have had their share of fuck ups over the years, but this is something they got VERY right and haven't got the plaudits they deserve.

I am absolutely gobsmacked nobody has given any credit to the famous Driver Ave Interns.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Ok, it has been three days since you lot won the title so where is the re-incarnation of Waratah Jesus?

Please explain. :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
@Pfitzy - I think Allen came from V8 touring cars not AFL.

I agree with you on social media. I think it has improved a lot this year though.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Spend isn't the issue on the marketing front, it's concept, execution and placement. Most of the marketing is boring as batshit and they overlook easy opportunities like getting players onto the GAGR podcast.

Now is the time to revitalize the marketing of the team. Gotta make the most of an incredible victory -- an amazing game and the better publicity than they could buy for millions. I want to see the Waratahs everywhere now. Don't let Sydney or NSW forgot about them!

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Spend isn't the issue on the marketing front, it's concept, execution and placement. Most of the marketing is boring as batshit and they overlook easy opportunities like getting players onto the GAGR podcast.

Now is the time to revitalize the marketing of the team. Gotta make the most of an incredible victory -- an amazing game and the better publicity than they could buy for millions. I want to see the Waratahs everywhere now. Don't let Sydney or NSW forgot about them!
I wonder how hard it would be to convince the city council to hang some celebratory banners from the fittings on the street lights in the CBD. And in some.other regional spots like Parramatta? Just keep the team in front of people's noses for a few weeks at least.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
For fuck's sake mate the team just won the fucking grand final and you still want to put the boot in.

Jason Allen should be applauded for the team he has assembled both on and off the field, and turning around rugby in NSW. They have had their share of fuck ups over the years, but this is something they got VERY right and haven't got the plaudits they deserve.
Allen has assembled nothing.
If you don't think that the playing roster,coaching staff and culture in the joint is not 110% Cheika,then you are kidding yourself.
Just remember,Foley was their preferred option in 2013.
FFS they couldn't even retain a coach with a 4-14 record!
Where would we be now under that strategy?
They have been successful despite him,it is not due to superior strategy and implementation.
It was only 2 months ago,that he said he couldn't divulge crowd numbers!
Engagement with juniors is less now than it was 10 years ago.
I could go on & on,but you get the gist.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Allen has assembled nothing.
If you don't think that the playing roster,coaching staff and culture in the joint is not 110% Cheika,then you are kidding yourself.
Just remember,Foley was their preferred option in 2013.
FFS they couldn't even retain a coach with a 4-14 record!
Where would we be now under that strategy?
They have been successful despite him,it is not due to superior strategy and implementation.
It was only 2 months ago,that he said he couldn't divulge crowd numbers!
Engagement with juniors is less now than it was 10 years ago.
I could go on & on,but you get the gist.

Yeah! Anybody that thinks the business side of a professional sporting team has ANY effect is kidding themselves.

In all seriousness, come on. Give Allen some credit.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Jaysus, even the fucking local under 10's have the nous to be able to get celebratory t shirts made up when jnr wins the GF.
I'm surprised that Jason Allen didn't fuck up the ground booking last Saturday.
I'm almost certain if it was left up to him,the game would have been played out the front of Moore Park,near the duck pond.

This stuff is fraught with danger

Boxes "2015 Champions T-Shirts" found before the game never ends well, if found and photos published you would be whinging about that as well.

Getting an email the night of the game with an offer to buy the shirt & cap was a smart, prudent move.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This stuff is fraught with danger

Boxes "2015 Champions T-Shirts" found before the game never ends well, if found and photos published you would be whinging about that as well.

Getting an email the night of the game with an offer to buy the shirt & cap was a smart, prudent move.

Me and a couple of mates bought Wallabies World Cup Champions 2003 tshirts from an opshop in Kingsford in late 2003. $5 each.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
In reflecting on the game I can't help but feel that Izzy was a bit quiet.
However, before this is taken as a negative, I would like to hear some thoughts from others on the matter.
My thoughts are along the lines that the Crusaders had a definite tactic of keeping him out of the game. I have not had a look at any stats to confirm this though.
Stats such as kicks from Crusaders, kicks to a lineout, deep kicks v's contested kicks.
Also Izzys run metres, possessions etc.
I did notice that for each of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s tries, Izzy was the next man in the line and that he attracted alot of defenders which indirectly helped AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the tryline.
If he has to keep operating as a decoy because of the oppositions tactics, will he ultimately get stale / lose some of his mojo ?
Having been a slow, lightweight, unskilled, frontrower these things interest me in a perverse sort of a way.
Is his try scoring frequency through the regular season a good sort of a proxy for how opponents attempt to nullify him. Beale, Foley, etc seemed to be the biggest beneficiaries of the Folau factor.
Nice conundrum for EM - How do you keep a strike player like IF from getting nullified.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah! Anybody that thinks the business side of a professional sporting team has ANY effect is kidding themselves.

In all seriousness, come on. Give Allen some credit.
Look at the 2013 annual report,sponsorship reduced from the previous year,as did membership ubscriptions.
Crowds were so poor earlier this year,that he refused to announce crowd figures.
Maybe the board deserves the bulk of the criticism,but you can hardly say he has set the world on fire.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Further to my previous post, I predicted the crusaders would play a game where they kicked to the corners and used the lineout to create pressure and ultimately penalty goals.
I thought the final would be a game where there wasn't alot of football played.
Was it the presence of IF that stopped them from playing the territorial game?

Status
Not open for further replies.