• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs vs Cheetahs Super Rugby-R5 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Out of curiosity, who in the Tahs squad would you throw in as the centre pairing? Perhaps a combination of 10 - Foley, 12 - Volavola, 13 - Izzy and adopt the "hopefully we'll score more tries than we'll concede" mentality? Who is the alternative to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13? Horne? Is he a significantly better passer/crash baller than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Would you keep Tom Carter at 12? He's been pretty dynamic. I would argue that half the reason AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hasn't been a factor so far is that he's been playing outside TC.

I just don't see any clearly better alternatives than what Cheika has thrown out this week?

A lot depends on how you define the roles of 12 and 13. For me, a 12 who doesn't take on the line and a 13 who doesn't pass will never work.

TC plays like a 12 at least. Horne plays like a 13. If you don't think they are up to it find others who know how to play the position. Preferably guys with young legs. Chris Tuatara-Morrison would have been in my sights for 12 and I've seen Kingston play brilliantly at 13.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
But failing to get the most out of the talents they have is what the Waratahs do best ;) It's nice to be the best at something

Pfft. That's nothing -- plenty of teams don't maximise their talent. We're the Super Rugby champions of failing to meet expectations.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cheika doesn't seem afraid to sack units

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-tahs-ready-for-blowtorch-20130312-2fyhd.html

1 Robinson
2 Ulugia
3 Ryan
4 Douglas
5 Timani or Chapman (paper ain't clear but I would assume Chapman)
6 Dennis
7 Hooper
8 McCutchan
9 McCibbon
10 Foley
11 Betham
12 Barnes
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Turner
15 Folau

Bench

Kepu
Horne

I thought that Robinson was disappointing last week after a great effort the week before. Happy to see Ryan get a run on game though. Like the backline except Folau at 15 - he can't kick despite his time in AFL. Disappointed for Mitchell - he reads a game very well, can kick with both feet and doesn't make many mistakes. Would have him at 15, Folau at 13 and take your pick of Turner or Betham with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the other wing.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I thought that Robinson was disappointing last week after a great effort the week before. Happy to see Ryan get a run on game though. Like the backline except Folau at 15 - he can't kick despite his time in AFL. Disappointed for Mitchell - he reads a game very well, can kick with both feet and doesn't make many mistakes. Would have him at 15, Folau at 13 and take your pick of Turner or Betham with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the other wing.

I wouldn't say he can't kick, he bombs the ball down field in pre game. Its clearly a tactic not to have him kicking but I'd say as the season goes on and he gets more comfortable we'll see him taking on more kicking responsibility.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
But failing to get the most out of the talents they have is what the Waratahs do best ;)It's nice to be the best at something
to quote one of our coaches when we discussed the above mentioned side ' it's just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It will be a kick a thon with Barnes back in. I'll be re-arranging my sock drawer for this match, it will be far more exciting'.
Well, those are sound tactics when playing the Tahs.
What so they can throw it on the ground at he halfs feet and be can throw an interception? We're better of without the ball!

This constant, destructive negativity produces nothing but despair and depression. Sure the Tahs played badly last week, but the Brumbies are a very good side and would have done the same to at least half the other teams. The team will be hurting big-time. Kicking them aimlessly provides no support at all.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
To put it in perspective, they did lose the last 8 games last season,and have won only one of three this season.The most recent game was a major disappointment by anyone's measure.

You need a fucking good memory if you are a Tah's supporter and have a positive feeling about the franchise.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
This constant, destructive negativity produces nothing but despair and depression. Sure the Tahs played badly last week, but the Brumbies are a very good side and would have done the same to at least half the other teams. The team will be hurting big-time. Kicking them aimlessly provides no support at all.
I agree with you, Hawko. Let the kids learn the new style.
I really feel for the Waratahs. They are trying to change the way they play to please the fans, but in the process, the 'so-called' fans rip shreds off them because they aren't winning with a new style they have been using for 3 weeks?

If you are true supporter, why not support what they are trying to do?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree with you, Hawko. Let the kids learn the new style.
I really feel for the Waratahs. They are trying to change the way they play to please the fans, but in the process, the 'so-called' fans rip shreds off them because they aren't winning with a new style they have been using for 3 weeks?

If you are true supporter, why not support what they are trying to do?
Let me make my position clear: I do not care whether they win or lose.
What I care about is that they are not progressing - if anything they are regressing.
Most of them seem not to be able to embrace any style of play that resembles positive rugby. The prevailing reaction to pressure is panic.
Many people on this forum are still looking for silver bullets: Volavola, folau, Betham, Kingston. These names are thrown out as solutions to the malaise: think what that says about planning, structure, logic and process. Nothing.
It says, assuming (as you do) that the Tahs read this: lets just roll out some more cannon fodder and see how that works. Doesn't sound like a long or even medium term strategy.
I am sure that they have sat through Cheika's lessons, the efficacy of which I am presently assuming, but I am confident that come exam time they will still keep dishing up the same answers, revealing that they have not acquired the fundamentals. And that, in turn, leads one to wonder: how did blokes get to this level without those fundamentals?
Shoot the messenger.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
If you thought Cheika had finished shaking things up at The Waratahs think again.
Today's Daily Telegraph has the scoop.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363310787422.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363310787422.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 326

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If you thought Cheika had finished shaking things up at The Waratahs think again.
Today's Daily Telegraph has the scoop.

Folau's development is obviously ahead of schedule! Not sure about Robbo under the high ball though...

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Weather seems to be clearing over Sydney at the moment, should be good conditions for rugby tonight.
Although that probably suits the Cheetahs more than us!

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Folau's development is obviously ahead of schedule! Not sure about Robbo under the high ball though.
Interesting, I like Timani at 12, now there's a crash ball runner! Hooper probably as good as we've got at 9 and who knows, Lachie can probably throw the ball the ball in to the lineout!

Status
Not open for further replies.