• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs vs Cheetahs Super Rugby-R5 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

Gee, I hope the Tahs can win some lineout ball. :eek: Not many options for Ulugia to throw out and he isn't the strongest thrower. Tahs to take quick throws as much as possible. Folau will run everything. Could be a cracking match.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Gee, I hope the Tahs can win some lineout ball. :eek: Not many options for Ulugia to throw out and he isn't the strongest thrower. Tahs to take quick throws as much as possible. Folau will run everything. Could be a cracking match.
What so they can throw it on the ground at he halfs feet and be can throw an interception?
We're better of without the ball!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just checked the odds for this match. Cheetahs are $3.65. seriously?! I'm going to have generous bet on the Cheetahs. The tahs were horrible last week. easy money.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Just checked the odds for this match. Cheetahs are $3.65. seriously?! I'm going to have generous bet on the Cheetahs. The tahs were horrible last week. easy money.

But the Cheetahs were horrible the week before.

I think the Tahs should win this. The Cheetahs are a very hot-and-cold side, and feed off opposition mistakes. They beat the Highlanders comfortably despite having hardly any possession, and also the Clan played like shit.

It might be close though, and I do agree 3.65 is overs.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
But the Cheetahs were horrible the week before.

I think the Tahs should win this. The Cheetahs are a very hot-and-cold side, and feed off opposition mistakes. They beat the Highlanders comfortably despite having hardly any possession, and also the Clan played like shit.

It might be close though, and I do agree 3.65 is overs.

I actually thought the Cheetahs were good in the first half against the Chiefs. The Chiefs defense did a great job of holding them out in the first half and the Cheetahs ultimately fell apart. They appeared to have addressed their defensive frailties last week. I think this game will be close but at $3.65 the Cheetahs are great value.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Cheetahs unchanged from last week:

15 Hennie Daniller, 14 Willie le Roux, 13 Johann Sadie, 12 Robert Ebersohn, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Johan Goosen, 9 Sarel Pretorius, 8 Philip van der Walt, 7 Pieter Labuschagne, 6 Frans Viljoen, 5 Francois Uys, 4 Lodewyk de Jager, 3 Lourens Adriaanse, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Trevor Nyakane.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Tahs Side confirmed:

1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. John Ulugia (Eastern Suburbs)
3. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
4. Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University, captain)
7. Michael Hooper (Manly)
8. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
9. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
12. Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
15. Israel Folau (Sydney University)
Replacements
16. Luke Holmes (Warringah)
17. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
18. Mitchell Chapman (Eastern Suburbs)
19. Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts)
20. Matt Lucas (Manly)
21. Ben Volavola (Southern Districts)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)

to quote one of our coaches when we discussed the above mentioned side ' it's just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It will be a kick a thon with Barnes back in. I'll be re-arranging my sock drawer for this match, it will be far more exciting'.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
But Belly, would you have been happier if they just ran out the same team again this week and admit they are doomed to failure whatever they do. This is a very curious position.

As for Barnes, he has it in him to run and play attacking - see the Sharks game from last year. Whats improtant is what the players around him are doing.

Back to Fatprop's question from a few pages ago, I'll be out there looking down my nose at the game while discussing the movers from Friday's stock market, bemoaning the federal labour government and asking those around me to keep the noise down. Hopefully there are plenty of others to drown me out for a change.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Back to Fatprop's question from a few pages ago, I'll be out there looking down my nose at the game while discussing the movers from Friday's stock market, bemoaning the federal labour government and asking those around me to keep the noise down. Hopefully there are plenty of others to drown me out for a change.

I know the above is slightly tounge in cheek but i'd almost prefer this to the guy I sat beside in Canberra. Spent 80 minutes telling every Tah player they were shit and the management they were rubbish, now I'm all for bemoaning mistakes and strategy but if your not going to get behind the team during the game just don't say anything. Leave the criticism for after the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So who is up for a drink before this one? or after?

Lindommer and I were going to meet at the Local Taphouse for a couple of beers prior to the game. You're welcome to join us (or anyone else for that matter).

I should get there around 6pm or a little after.

I can't go out after the game as I have my cricket semi-final starting Saturday morning.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lindommer and I were going to meet at the Local Taphouse for a couple of beers prior to the game. You're welcome to join us (or anyone else for that matter).

I can't go out after the game as I have my cricket semi-final starting Saturday morning.

sounds good see you there

Richo

John Thornett (49)
So who is up for a drink before this one? or after?

Will try to make it. Depends on work, etc.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I don't like the centre pairing at all.

We now have a 12 that doesn't like to take on the line, and when he does rarely breaks or bends it.

Our outside centre has a serious passing problem, he doesn't.
For a while now, opposition teams have rushed AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and closed down the backline. A ball playing 13 loves being rushed as being a target opens other opportunities for the players either side of him. If he can pass that is.

In this backline where is the sparkle, where is the blistering acceleration or the bone jarring crash balling? You need this to create space and while the back three offer promise, they will probably get little ball and probably even less space.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
So how does everyone reckon this game will pan out? Tahs are definitely vulnerable at lineout time, although I think the scrum will hold up well. Need the backrow in particular to step up and give McKibben quicker ball to get the backline going. Foley and Barnes will need options in attack, the back 3 have to get involved coming late into the line at pace. I’ve yet to see Folau take a ball at full pelt, with a guy of his physicality we need to see this more often. Also we need more variation; inside balls, chips through, committing the defence before passing etc.

Too many “ifs” to back the Waratahs at the minute so I’ll have to go with the Cheetahs by 7.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I don't like the centre pairing at all.

We now have a 12 that doesn't like to take on the line, and when he does rarely breaks or bends it.

Our outside centre has a serious passing problem, he doesn't.
For a while now, opposition teams have rushed AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and closed down the backline. A ball playing 13 loves being rushed as being a target opens other opportunities for the players either side of him. If he can pass that is.

In this backline where is the sparkle, where is the blistering acceleration or the bone jarring crash balling? You need this to create space and while the back three offer promise, they will probably get little ball and probably even less space.

Out of curiosity, who in the Tahs squad would you throw in as the centre pairing? Perhaps a combination of 10 - Foley, 12 - Volavola, 13 - Izzy and adopt the "hopefully we'll score more tries than we'll concede" mentality? Who is the alternative to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13? Horne? Is he a significantly better passer/crash baller than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Would you keep Tom Carter at 12? He's been pretty dynamic. I would argue that half the reason AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hasn't been a factor so far is that he's been playing outside TC.

I just don't see any clearly better alternatives than what Cheika has thrown out this week?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, I'd love to see some cross-field kicks to Folau when within striking distance of the try line. It's kind of amazing that they haven't tried this yet given it was basically those highlight reels that got him millions from the AFL.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, I'd love to see some cross-field kicks to Folau when within striking distance of the try line. It's kind of amazing that they haven't tried this yet given it was basically those highlight reels that got him millions from the AFL.

But failing to get the most out of the talents they have is what the Waratahs do best ;) It's nice to be the best at something

Status
Not open for further replies.