• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs v Reds - Friday 31/5

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Reds will want to go into finals with momentum.

Tahs will argue they want to finish the season with a bang and would love to get one over the Reds. I suspect for some of them though if the game doesn’t start well they may just starting looking to Mad Monday. I mean that with no disrespect- but they wouldn’t be human if this season hadn’t take its toll. On the flip side of the Tahs can stay in the fight then I expect the likes of Swinton, Lee-Warner, Gamble to go out swinging.

I expect the Reds to roll out a very similiar team to last week - although I’m struggling to pick which of the 5 props they should leave out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No way. We need momentum.

Joe Schmidt will be salivating about this one. It should be Tahs with heaps to prove - coach going, farewelling players, contracts to secure. Up against traditional rivals. This should be the old David Croft days when Lote used to give it to us for only caring about one game a season. This one. But this time the roles are reversed.

While our spot may be sewn up it’s still our traditional rivals and we should be looking to sink to boot in while they are down.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This game means nothing to the Reds. Roll out the "c" team.
Leaving aside that it’s NSW and most of them should hopefully find this match up extremely meaningful I actually don’t think it’s meaningless even in the finals context I assume this comment pertains to.

We aren’t good enough to let games go and we are young enough to play full first xv every game. The Reds need to build a culture of professionalism that values every possession, let alone every game.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
No way. We need momentum.

Joe Schmidt will be salivating about this one. It should be Tahs with heaps to prove - coach going, farewelling players, contracts to secure. Up against traditional rivals. This should be the old David Croft days when Lote used to give it to us for only caring about one game a season. This one. But this time the roles are reversed.

While our spot may be sewn up it’s still our traditional rivals and we should be looking to sink to boot in while they are down.
Yeah, I think the point of resting players against the Drua was so we don't have to for this game and can build as much momentum as possible heading into the finals.

I could understand a bit of prop rotation given we won't really be tested there and our options are on relatively even footing, though I expect Hodgman to still start at least, given he is only just back from injury and in need of minutes. Only other maybe I can see beyond that is Campbell given he went off for an HIA, but that will be all down to how his post game test went, given he was back on the field.

If they do rest beyond that it'd probably only be Smith and Wright as the guys who've been on bulk minutes, but even then I'd still have them on the bench.

capalaba

Chris McKivat (8)
Reds need momentum, the prop rotation used against the Drua was a mistake, keep the same players and make run to the finals.

The Force were the Reds, bogie team this season, on Satursay they were nowhere to be seen. The Reds forwards look organised, dominant at the breakdown, and set piece looked great. Maintain momentum keep the same squad and thrash NSW.

scrans21

Sydney Middleton (9)
Go full throttle for this one. Momentum heading into a quarter final in Hamilton is incredibly important. I don't think there'll really be any changes to the side from last week except on the bench with Ravai in for Fa'agase and Daly or Blyth in for Vest. We need to put the tahs to the sword and not fall prey to a shitter team like we have earlier in the year against Moana and the Force over in Perth.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Kiss like to rest a few for this game:

“Rest, management ... that’ll be interpreted however anyone wants to interpret it,” Kiss said. “But we’ll do some things that we’re always in the planning anyway, once we knew that we were definitely going to be in the finals.

“I’m not just saying because it’s easy to say, but it is probably the most important game in Australian rugby. Despite their situation, they have a lot to play for.”

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
It gets said every year, but how have we let what should be the most important domestic rugby match in our calender become so meaningless that coaches are resting players for it?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Wright and Smith have missed the most minutes so likely them? Depth at lock. Not sure about flanker. I guess Vest perhaps? Brial perhaps.

Campbell a chance - does that mean Grealy there with Aubrey on the wing? Couldn’t be Suli.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Wonder where Brial sits in the pecking order now with Bryant doing so well. He's signed for next year right?

He's a good player and one I wouldn't mind back in NSW tbh with departures of Swinton, Hanigan. His younger brother is some talent coming through as well.

It's disappointing this game holds not meaning for the comp but it does for Wallaby jerseys and I hope a lot of pride for some Tahs players leaving.

If anyone is getting along to it, go early if you can and watch the Shute Shield game: Manly v Norths and get your monies worth. I really like the curtain raisers and hope they keep it and bring in more in the future.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Wright and Smith have missed the most minutes so likely them? Depth at lock. Not sure about flanker. I guess Vest perhaps? Brial perhaps.

Campbell a chance - does that mean Grealy there with Aubrey on the wing? Couldn’t be Suli.
Yeah, it'd have to be the guys who haven't had a break for a while, went to Fiji and then backed up against the Force wouldn't it?
Smith, Wright, Hunter, Campbell

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1 Hodgman
2 Faessler
3 JTA
4 Vest
5 Blyth
6 Uru
7 McReight
8 Bryant
9 McDermott
10 Lynagh (head permitting)
11 Aubrey
12 Anan
13 Flook
14 Ryan
15 Grealy

16 Nasser
17 Ravai
18 Nonggorr
19 Daley
20 Brial
21 Thomas
22 Creighton
23 HMP

Backline noticeably weaker. Maybe Harry gets a run at fullback.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It is a shame that what should be our two strongest franchises (incoming Brumbies hate) have struggled to match up evenly on paper for majority of the past 20 odd years.

When was the last time these two sides were somewhat even on the ladder? I am guessing somewhere in between the 2011 - 2015 seasons.

I am still expecting a good game. The Reds sound like they will cotton wool one or two players whilst the Tahs surely need a win to regain any sort of rugby relevancy in this country.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
It is a shame that what should be our two strongest franchises (incoming Brumbies hate) have struggled to match up evenly on paper for majority of the past 20 odd years.

When was the last time these two sides were somewhat even on the ladder? I am guessing somewhere in between the 2011 - 2015 seasons.

I am still expecting a good game. The Reds sound like they will cotton wool one or two players whilst the Tahs surely need a win to regain any sort of rugby relevancy in this country.

2nd last and last on the ladder.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wonder where Brial sits in the pecking order now with Bryant doing so well. He's signed for next year right?

He's a good player and one I wouldn't mind back in NSW tbh with departures of Swinton, Hanigan. His younger brother is some talent coming through as well.

It's disappointing this game holds not meaning for the comp but it does for Wallaby jerseys and I hope a lot of pride for some Tahs players leaving.

If anyone is getting along to it, go early if you can and watch the Shute Shield game: Manly v Norths and get your monies worth. I really like the curtain raisers and hope they keep it and bring in more in the future.
I hope so too.

Early noises out of QLD aren’t promising given the restings and I fear the departing NSW players will be thinking of their next contract.

Least exciting lead up of this state matchup of all time?

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Crowd guess? Anything above 10k will surprise me tbh which is sad. Hopefully a few of the old fans come out for the QLD game. Few stuff ups trying to buy Origin tickets??

Quick look on Aus Stadiums shows no crowd over 20k all year in Aus... That's dire. Brums haven't hit 10k at home but consistent numbers and given it gets cold the numbers feel like they're worth more. With the raiders getting 18k to the last to watch a fairly average side how do the Bru,s put more bums on seats...

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Campbell a chance - does that mean Grealy there with Aubrey on the wing?

Jock had a slow start to the season from memory when we had Jordan and co. I don't think he's played that much physical rugby so hopefully he's still playing this weekend.

I'd probably rotate Jeff and Zane as Zane needs more minutes.

I didn't see if Blyth was doing the warm up on Saturday but he was in training gear rather than jacket and slacks so hopefully that means hes free to let Smith come off the bench or have a break.