• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Rebels, RD3 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Carter will almost certainly make way for Barnes either next round or the one after. With the current options available, TC is fine at 12.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

I think you're right with that analysis. We have to play with the contracted personnel. Short term, at least if you know what he will do, you can construct your game around that.

P

Paradox

TC was solid this week and last. He's been better than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) so far.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Apologies in advance as I haven't read previous posts but having watched the game on replay Folau didn't kick once despite wearing 15 on his back. Mind you he made up for this with the things he did on the right edge - should be wearing 13.

Suggested backline for next week:

9. McKibben
10. Foley
11. Mitchell.
12. Barnes
13. Folau
14. Ashley-Cooper
15. Volavola

Everyone can kick except Folua - (what did he learn at the Giants?)

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Watching through the game again on TV (after being at the ground last night) and the Rebels LHP is putting his hand on the ground in every scrum where the Rebels have the feed. He should have been penalised every time.

It wasn't just a single touch for balance. He puts his hand down and keeps it there for support.
Its not just last night he has done it every game this year. The Force fans nicknamed him Tripod.

How he hasnt be picked up is amazing. During the Force game i counted 8 scrums when he dropped his bind including the one that led to the try when we were down to 13.

Whats the point of having an AR? They like to give there 2c on almost everything else.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Watched the replay.

Agree about Henderson putting his hand down way to often, he does try to rebind a lot more than you are letting on though.

Volavola made the difference in the second half, he really needs to start if you want to stand a chance against the Brumbies.

Phipps had a pretty good game watching it again.

Thought Beale looked a lot better this week, think he is finally getting his match fitness up to scratch.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Watched the replay.

Agree about Henderson putting his hand down way to often, he does try to rebind a lot more than you are letting on though.

Volavola made the difference in the second half, he really needs to start if you want to stand a chance against the Brumbies.

Phipps had a pretty good game watching it again.

Thought Beale looked a lot better this week, think he is finally getting his match fitness up to scratch.
Agree with everything except Volavola.
He played a lot better this week but he is brittle.
Missed a sitter of a tackle on kick chase which would have been a turnover/penalty had he made it.
Missed a sitter penalty for touch: "laziness", immaturity and/or lack of focus?
This is a very talented player. He does not need to go down the traditional path of a talented back in this country of desperation dictating that he gets thrown in at the deep end to sink or swim.
He has progressed massively already this season by being eased in.
Where would you pick him, anyway? Seems to me he can justify 15, but youre not going to leave Folau out so one of the wingers has to go - which one?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What's his opinion of the other penalties that put his team in the yellow card position?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I hope Cheika doesn't resort to ref-bagging too much to mask inadequacies of the execution of his team, as we saw in much of the first half. Sully makes a salient point that the TPN penalty wouldn't have been an issue if his players had not given the previous few ones away. I think he incorrectly penalised a Rebels player later in the match for the same thing, but it was just a penalty so perhaps glossed over.
Cheika is obviously doing some good things with the Tahs - nobody can deny there is a change in style evident. The sloppiness in execution of basic skills at times (e.g. Volavola's touch kick that missed by 10-15m!!!) is the problem. And consistency. These things will come in time.
His good work will be quickly lost in the ether if he spends all his time whining about dud ref calls at every presser, because they'll always happen, and they mostly even out.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
On review, does anyone else thing Higgers was about a meter and a half off side when he took that intercept? Not that it matters, but just saying.....

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Apologies in advance as I haven't read previous posts but having watched the game on replay Folau didn't kick once despite wearing 15 on his back. Mind you he made up for this with the things he did on the right edge - should be wearing 13.

Suggested backline for next week:

9. McKibben
10. Foley
11. Mitchell.
12. Barnes
13. Folau
14. Ashley-Cooper
15. Volavola

Everyone can kick except Folua - (what did he learn at the Giants?)

That's probably not a bad idea.....
I can see that back line has some real strike power.
I did see Izzy kick the ball in warm and up and it was a massive nudge. He probably isn't comfortable kicking in game situations. It will come.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On review, does anyone else thing Higgers was about a meter and a half off side when he took that intercept? Not that it matters, but just saying...
another instance that begs the question WTF was the AR doing on that side - he sure as hell wasn't watching the scrums

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd say Izzy would get found out massively in defence at 13. The back 3 has to be his position until he plays a year or two of rugby then maybe move him inside once he is comfortable with all the technical and tactical aspects.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It would depend who is around him, and who they are playing. The game is evolving all the time, the players get bigger and faster (the ground seems to get smaller, in particular, narrower) so the defensive requirements now for a 13 are probably simpler than they were a couple of years ago.

He probably has less chance of getting caught out at 13, in a top class backline, than in the back three. He certainly has the lateral speed to cover any mistakes.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm not sure the defensive duties have got simpler for a 13, I think the attacking strategies have become more like league and rely on set moves a lot. Its up to the 13 to recognise the attacking teams move and lead the defensive line accordingly, something Folau isn't up to at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.