• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Rebels, RD3 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
+1

Am I the only one seeing a dramatically improved close offloading game?
The tahs of 2-3 years ago used to do this a lot, especially amongst the forwards. Then the last 2 years it dropped off, as though hickey/foley decided it would be better to take it to ground than risk a few knock ons. I'm glad to see it back.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Shame about the whether. Given the good vibes coming out of Tah land this year they deserved a chance at a much bigger crowd.

Game of two halves and coaches will be pissed that their respective sides can't play the full 80. Higgers in a losing side would of been my man of the match in this game. I thought he was fantastic and a total pest at lineout time. Pyle also I think had a great game. What I liked was the maturity in JOC (James O'Connor)'s captaincy. He knew his limits and his decisions were accurate rather than trying to play a hero. Falou looked better this week and both AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Foley played well. Carter was lucky with that tackle. Replay pretty much showed he did not approach the tackle until the player was off the ground.

It is going to get much harder for both sides next week though.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Carter was lucky with that tackle. Replay pretty much showed he did not approach the tackle until the player was off the ground.

But what was he supposed to do? It wasn't like Higgers was going up and down in the one spot- he was 5m out and jumping towards the tryline. If Carter lets him come down he is only a few metres from the line with momentum behind him.

I can understand why the ref blew it up, it looked terrible. But it was not malicious by Carter, he did nothing wrong IMO. Play on.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I didn't mind the ref - at least he was consistent. I liked the early cards, it seemed to finally get the message across and allowed some quick ball. Nothing worse IMO than refs waiting 70 mins to card when a team has spent that time slowing down their opponents ball. He should have penalised Rebels prop for hand on the ground, but his engagement was quick and most of the scrums looked good - especially on a wet night.

Yes, waiting to hand out a yellow card often spoils a match.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Anyone else notice the player graphics before the game last night?
TC looked like a ten year old. his hair tousled, and a jersey about 6 sizes too big.
I'm trying to think whose jumper it might have been, it was huge.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Shame about the whether. Given the good vibes coming out of Tah land this year they deserved a chance at a much bigger crowd.

Game of two halves and coaches will be pissed that their respective sides can't play the full 80. Higgers in a losing side would of been my man of the match in this game. I thought he was fantastic and a total pest at lineout time. Pyle also I think had a great game. What I liked was the maturity in JOC (James O'Connor)'s captaincy. He knew his limits and his decisions were accurate rather than trying to play a hero. Falou looked better this week and both AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Foley played well. Carter was lucky with that tackle. Replay pretty much showed he did not approach the tackle until the player was off the ground.

It is going to get much harder for both sides next week though.

I thought he had already had bent his back into the tackle before the guy jumped

kronic

John Solomon (38)
kronic - I hope you get on your flight soon.

Everyone needs to remember that this game starts earlier than usual. 7.25pm kick-off rather than the normal 7:40pm.

Considering the rain, the fact that Tahs fans normally turn up after the game starts, and the earlier kickoff, I'm anticipating spending most of the first half trying to look past people walking up and down the aisle to their seats. So annoying.
Cheers mate. Delayed a bit, and this was the case.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Carter was lucky not to get more than 10 minutes thought he had a good game aside from that tackle. Folau should stay on the wing he was far more effective once he moved there.

The Tahs really need to start playing for the full 80, better teams won't let them back into the game if they have similar opening periods to the past 2 weeks.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yeah I would've loved the ref to explain what TC was suppose to do, not tackle him?
Had to make the tackle or it would have been a probable try. There didn't appear to be any intent. Higginbotham fell awkwardly, but that was from his own momentum, remember he had dropped the ball and jumped to catch it before it hit the ground so he was off balance. Carter was in a no win situation as was the ref.

The ref did what he had to do and the decision of the TMO was sensible. If the ref had let it go, I'm sure the referee coach in the stand would have marked him down for it.

I hope all the refs penalise players slowing the ball down and card early if needed all tournament, it may have been a factor in the game speeding up in the 2nd half (along with Chieka's talk).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Had to make the tackle or it would have been a probable try. There didn't appear to be any intent. Higginbotham fell awkwardly, but that was from his own momentum, remember he had dropped the ball and jumped to catch it before it hit the ground so he was off balance. Carter was in a no win situation as was the ref.

The ref did what he had to do and the decision of the TMO was sensible. If the ref had let it go, I'm sure the referee coach in the stand would have marked him down for it.

I hope all the refs penalise players slowing the ball down and card early if needed all tournament, it may have been a factor in the game speeding up in the 2nd half (along with Chieka's talk).

In that case: "bring me the referee coach"

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Carter was lucky not to get more than 10 minutes thought he had a good game aside from that tackle. Folau should stay on the wing he was far more effective once he moved there.

The Tahs really need to start playing for the full 80, better teams won't let them back into the game if they have similar opening periods to the past 2 weeks.
TC prevented phases 2 - 3 passes wide of the ruck, he also prevented creating space on the outside. But it was a wet night so that may have impacted.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

We must of watched two different games.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In that case: "bring me the referee coach"
I suspect that they are the ones responsible for lot of the poor refereeing that is inflicted upon us. Although Steve Walsh probably manages it by himself.

Diverging views on Carter, but if you are going to pick him he is going to take the ball into contact more often than not. That's how he's been coached and how he's played for many years. That is now his instinct.

IMO the centres need to be looked at. I don't think that TC and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are a great combination if you want a quick passing game. One or both needs to go.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Diverging views on Carter, but if you are going to pick him he is going to take the ball into contact more often than not. That's how he's been coached and how he's played for many years. That is now his instinct.

IMO the centres need to be looked at. I don't think that TC and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are a great combination if you want a quick passing game. One or both needs to go.

Carter will almost certainly make way for Barnes either next round or the one after. With the current options available, TC is fine at 12.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

T

tranquility

Tom Carter has been crash balling for the last 5 years in over 80 games for the Waratahs. He invariably presents the ball beautifully for the next phase.

I'm just guessing, but if the coaches didn't want him to do this, he would not have played such a commendable number of games.

He might get 100 caps next season! One of the Tahs true greats!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Tom Carter has been crash balling for the last 5 years in over 80 games for the Waratahs. He invariably presents the ball beautifully for the next phase.

I'm just guessing, but if the coaches didn't want him to do this, he would not have played such a commendable number of games.

Absolutely, previous coaches have wanted him to fulfil that role and he has followed his coaches' instructions. My point is, if you pick him, that's what he will do, so there's no point complaining about him doing it. If the current coach wants a different skill set there, then he needs a different player.

Status
Not open for further replies.