• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs v Lions - 2011R14

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

This is the strongest Lions line up i've ever seen. The Tahs will need to put in a good effort to come out with a BP win.

There is enormous potential for the Tahs to drop this one. The Lions have more game than we perhaps give them credit for. The Brumbies last weekend allowed the Lions to believe, and that is a potent ingredient.

And frankly, the Tahs are not exactly wrapped in the warm love of supporter...well, support, at the moment. Confidence is shot. I'm not trying to wind any of my esteemed Tah G&GR colleagues, but putting 10 smackeroonies on the Lions is not the worst idea in the world.

Fan forum? Meh. Smash the Lions by 40 and get some love back in spades.

Cyril Towers (30)
Normally with a powerful deep engage a player can carry his hooker forward with him, but in any case the player between the tighthead and his hooker is the opposition hooker who is normally not in a position to drive between them.

Agree with your points here, Bruce, this is what differentiates the good scrummaging hookers from the bad ones. Apparently TPN is immovable no matter how well you splinter off his LHP. Likewise he comes with you on the engage and makes life very difficult for the opposition hooker. Incredibly strong player.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There is enormous potential for the Tahs to drop this one. The Lions have more game than we perhaps give them credit for. The Brumbies last weekend allowed the Lions to believe, and that is a potent ingredient.

And frankly, the Tahs are not exactly wrapped in the warm love of supporter...well, support, at the moment. Confidence is shot. I'm not trying to wind any of my esteemed Tah G&GR colleagues, but putting 10 smackeroonies on the Lions is not the worst idea in the world.

Fan forum? Meh. Smash the Lions by 40 and get some love back in spades.

The Lions just aren't a good match-up for the Tahs. It won't happen.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Famous last words?

I agree it shouldn't happen. All I am saying is it very well could.

No not really, it wouldn't have said the same for the Cheetahs. They have a good lineout and scrum and used this to their advantage during the dour conditions at the SFS. The Lions have neither, play an open style of rugby that lacks any real structure. The Tahs can easily attack the Lions set-piece if they ever find themselves in trouble.

Tahs by 20+, Lions won't be up for it mentally and physically after last week's game.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Lions just aren't a good match-up for the Tahs. It won't happen.

To embellish this quote just a little....I think the Tahs have a huge advantage in the scrum and will get the better of them in a maul off an attacking lineout and off the pick and drive. Doppies will be kept quiet by Carter and Beale has the most attacking flair on the park. Defensively they have had problems down the 9/10/12 channel. If the Tahs put real pressure on their pack in the forward exchanges early it could break the game wide open. The way the Ponies play allowed the Lions to cover their faults - the Tahs are a completely different style of team that I think (hope) will expose them. Particularly if some of the criticism this week has injected some ginger into the pack.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Exactly Hawko, the Lions are completely different side to the Cheetahs. They will struggle against structured sides with strong set-pieces. It's why they went reasonably close to the Reds in Jo'burg.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It definitely shouldn't happen. But there is a good chance it will be a close game looking at the line ups. The Lions are a realistic chance for once.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The tooth fairy dropped a bundle of tickets in my mail box, if anyone'd like to watch tonight's match please PM me. Beers at The Local Taphouse afterwards.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
tahs have the chance to keep there supporters happy by running the ball with this team... But Ive been saying for along time, It would not surprise me if Barnes kicks everything away and burgess passing is under super 15 standards.
hope for the fans sake after the public forum that they listen to them.... But I dont think they will...(they should there paying the wage to come and see some running rugby)

Barnes has been kicking ever since he rocked up in super rugby, from reds to tahs to wallabies.. its shits me to watch and i'm not a tahs supporter. but aging it come back to burgess and the clean out and giving barnes better options..

R

RuckinGoodStats

Goal kickers Waratahs Beale 74% (37 from 50); Lions: James yet to kick in super15; Jantjies 67% (26/39)

Ref stats:Jonker super15 forced to award, average 19.3 pens (8.1 @ruck) 2.3 scrum resets & 6.6 scrum infringements

Ref stats:Jonker 16 (1=most) from 16 refs to award scrum resets & ruck pens, 1st scrum infringements & lineout pens

Waratahs on average (super15 rank 1=most) per game 8.8 pens (13) 4.6@ruck(15) 5.5 scrum resets(2) 9.7 hand errors (5)

Lions on average (super15 rank 1=most) per game 9.9 pens (8) 5.8@ruck(6) 4.4 scrum resets(9) 7.8 hand errors (14)

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Wow great stuff from the Tahs! Turner running hard, Kurtley setting up and scoring the try. Nice run from Alcock set that up.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
TPN the human missile,

Looks like Kurtleys knee is causing a bit of jip, he didnt look to comfortable on his way to the line.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Love the Lions' non-kicking for goal policy. Should be fun.

Haven't understood any of Marius's decicions so far

Status
Not open for further replies.