• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs v Lions - 2011R14

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
am expecting a belter from Alcock. He has (unfairly in my opinion) been in cutch's shadow this season, but his 5-10 minute glimpses have shown an aggression and passion which has been missing from the pack.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I suspect THP Ryan wouldn't mind getting a start, either. However he seems to be thriving under Todd Louden at Uni and is playing good footy at Shute level in a very young pack.

His game against Souths was the best I have seen him play. His foot positioning in the scrum is much improved. Whether that is due to Michael Foley at the 'Tahs or Mark Bell at Uni or just him sorting it out for himself I don't know but that was previously the only deficiency in his game. He's certainly a big 'un and capable of really making his presence felt around the park.

Let's hope he continues to kick on.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
His game against Souths was the best I have seen him play. His foot positioning in the scrum is much improved. Whether that is due to Michael Foley at the 'Tahs or Mark Bell at Uni or just him sorting it out for himself I don't know but that was previously the only deficiency in his game. He's certainly a big 'un and capable of really making his presence felt around the park.

Let's hope he continues to kick on.

And he's only 23 which means he's got 3 or 4 years till he's at his peak. If he keeps improving then he'll be the natural successor to Baxter.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Or, going by the current selections, Kepu.

By natural successor I meant within the squad; this is his first year in the main squad and he's clearly behind both Kepu and Fuse and I really hope Kepu stays with us for the next few years.

Tahs are blessed with good props at the moment. Fat Cat, Kepu and the Fuse are only bettered by the Franks brothers and Crockett amongst the other teams. If Baxter continues next year then we will possibly see the Tahs following the Crusaders strategy of rotating three props weekly. It seems to have worked well for them. If Baxter hangs up the boots then Ryan can be the bench prop till he proves himself. And we've got Tilse in the background too (I haven't forgotten how well he played in the last couple of rounds last year). Kepu's versatility on both sides of the scrum is invaluable - it seems he can play either side without losing any performance.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Bruce and/or topo,

Has Paddy played his Joeys school position at LHP for Uni in the last couple of years, if nothing else, later in a game as subs are made? I know that it doesn't signify much in schools rugby if they wear the 1 or the 3 jersey because of the laws they play under, and in the case of Joeys: it barely matters who plays anywhere in a pack of blue heelers, but he certainly was a fine LHP in his school days.

Just wondering about his senior versatility.

Bruce - interesting your comments about Ryan's foot positioning, something we punters don't appreciate. He had a problem with his hands for the Junior Tahs this year too, but that is neither here nor there, if worked on. He is not a pot plant of a THP and is good around the park for a 3; his goal line defence is a feature too.

But it's his scrummaging ability that will define his career and I would like to see more of him at the Super level.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Paddy has been playing mainly tight head for Uni.

Because he was so tall and somewhat inflexible he has been inclined to have his hips high on the crouch then shift both feet backward on the engage, although he is very strong in recovering from that extended position. I think he is developing more flexibility and is better able to crouch. Once he really masters this his long back, 120kg body weight, strength and dynamic ability will make him a real handful to deal with in the scrum.

That's my take on him anyway.

Cyril Towers (30)
He played LHP in colts but has not played there since he started in grade in 2009. All his senior scrummaging in grade and at the tahs has been at THP, but I suspect that once he has got a good handle on that side they'll work on him covering both sides as they did with Tilse. I agree about the feet positioning, too, Bruce. Last year he had a tendency to move around at the engage, but he is much more solid this year and has got a lot better at "claiming the space" at the engage. Fortunately for props Shute is still a good school. They tend to come up against reasonably good opposition most weeks and get a good work out. And he's still only 22.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
They had to pick James but me thinks Jantjies will be back in 10 the following week. Who would have thought at the beginning of the season that anyone would even consider the lions a half chance for this match.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I hope we see a complete game from the tahs. I don't want headless chook running of the ball and no well executed kicking options to be seen. Glad to see Alcock getting a start imo he should of been starting for a while now anyway. Also hope to see early full use of the bench to give the reserves as much game time possible in hopes of a finals berth.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce could you [explain to] someone who has never got within 5m of a scrum, how a long back is an advantage?

A long back can be a major disadvantage, Iltw, if it's not straight, which is probably what you're thinking of.

The first thing I look for in a prop is a nice straight back on the engage. The second thing is the ability to pack deep; that is, to extend into the opposition scrum. Someone like Paddy, who has a good straight back, could be an extraordinary scrummager if he gets it right, because he will almost necessarily pack deep, causing problems for the opposition, and when playing on the tight head side tending to fracture the bind between the opposing loose head and his hooker.

Think of Carl Hayman as the exemplar of the too-tall prop. Paddy has great potential but he really has to work at his craft. Time will tell.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Because he was so tall and somewhat inflexible he has been inclined to have his hips high on the crouch then shift both feet backward on the engage, although he is very strong in recovering from that extended position.

Sounds like the problems that Alexander never corrected. Moving the feet back on the engage sounds like a recipe for hinging down. I hope that both players master the situation.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Bruce,
oh ok, but then he is also reducing his bind with his hooker yeah?
Isn't that bad as well? ....this is all secret mens business to me

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sounds like the problems that Alexander never corrected. Moving the feet back on the engage sounds like a recipe for hinging down. I hope that both players master the situation.

As I understand it, LG, "hinging" is normally used to describe the situation where the hips are held in a fixed position and the torso is lowered so that the shoulders are below the hips. Moving the feet back on the engage has the opposite effect of lowering the hips. The problem is that at a critical time the player has lost contact with the ground and thus is vulnerable momentarily to being driven back by the opposing pack.

Bruce,
oh ok, but then he is also reducing his bind with his hooker yeah?
Isn't that bad as well? ....this is all secret mens business to me

Normally with a powerful deep engage a player can carry his hooker forward with him, but in any case the player between the tighthead and his hooker is the opposition hooker who is normally not in a position to drive between them.

I should add that as someone much wiser than almost anyone on this forum has pointed out we are not really qualified to have an opinion on these matters, so let's just assume that I am talking about club rugby rather than the stratospheric heights of the Super level of competition.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This is the strongest Lions line up i've ever seen. The Tahs will need to put in a good effort to come out with a BP win.

Reactions: daz
Status
Not open for further replies.