• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs V Highlanders 2011R17

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unfortunately I will be away for this game, and every Tahs game I have been to in the last 2 years (bar one) we have one.

So both sides are pretty much gone. It will be hard for the Tahs to get up, but if they do, SURELY they will play it for the fans.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
yeh the tahs will win... but do u think it'll matter?

Yes. The Bulls, Sharks and Clan all have a very difficult run home. A win here and we can make the semis. And each week on an extra player or two will heal up and step into the gap. Biggest problem is that each week we seem to be getting 2-4 serious injuries. That means every week 2-4 players have to heal.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yes. The Bulls, Sharks and Clan all have a very difficult run home. A win here and we can make the semis. And each week on an extra player or two will heal up and step into the gap. Biggest problem is that each week we seem to be getting 2-4 serious injuries. That means every week 2-4 players have to heal.

How about the team the Tahs have out/injured/unavailable at the moment...

Robinson, Fitzpatrick, Kepu, Douglas, Jowitt, Mowen, Waugh, Palu, 9-10, Kingston, Cross, Horne, Mitchell, Turner

Throw in an average Shute Shield 9-10 and that's still a mid-table team at worst.

T

Thomotah

How about the team the Tahs have out/injured/unavailable at the moment...

Robinson, Fitzpatrick, Kepu, Douglas, Jowitt, Mowen, Waugh, Palu, 9-10, Kingston, Cross, Horne, Mitchell, Turner

Throw in an average Shute Shield 9-10 and that's still a mid-table team at worst.

Sssshhh. As the largest province NSW should have 2.5 finals standard XV's at our disposal. In better years (injury wise) we are to be criticised for hoarding for whatever depth we do have. It is best just to be quiet.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mowen not playing this week. Turner, Ryan, Robinson doubtful. Although Palu/Waugh might be back.

1. Ryan/Tilse
2. TPN
3. Baxter
4. Mumm
5. Timani
6. Dennis
7. Waugh
8. Palu
9. Burgess
10. Halangahu
11. Anesi
12. Barnes
13. Carter
14. Pakalani
15. Beale

16. Ulugia
17. ???
18. O'Connor
19. Alcock
20. McKibbin
21. Batger
22. ???

We'll hit 40 players used this season

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Mowen not playing this week. Turner, Ryan, Robinson doubtful. Although Palu/Waugh might be back.

1. Ryan/Tilse 2. TPN 3. Baxter
4. Mumm 5. Timani
6. Dennis 7. Waugh 8. Palu
9. Burgess 10. Halangahu
11. Anesi 12. Barnes 13. Carter 14. Pakalani
15. Beale

16. Ulugia 17. ??? 18. ??? 19. Alcock
20. McKibbin 21. Batger 22. ???

We'll hit 40 players used this season
1. Reports were that Ryan's shoulder injury was serious and he would be out for 2-3 weeks, so Tilse is in. This scares me silly as he has had back problems this year and is playing Uni seconds.
17. There's been a lot of support in the club forum for Aldy King from Uni at LHP. Whether he could step up to Super is a big question but he apparently went well against Eddie A on Saturday.
18. I assume POC will go in now he's been exonerated.

Given that I thought Mumm went OK at 6 against the Bulls pack and that the Highlanders would pose similar problems, then the whole structure depends on whether Vickerman is ready for a short stint off the bench. If so, I would start with POC and Timani in the second row, Mumm at 6 to negate Thompson, supersub Dennis at 19, Vickerman at 18 and Perrett at 20. If Vickerman is still not ready then as you were.

Diversion: Alcock has missed seven tackles per game for the past two weeks, averaging 50%. Consistent but bloody awful. Had he made those I reckon we'd have come home with two wins and I reckon he has bottled his chance as Waugh's back-up, despite his great game against the Lions. Given McCutcheon's very patchy play this year we are in the market for two fetchers if Waugh retires this year. Are either of the Lam brothers contracted next year? You'd have to think that the Canes would want Jack again, but maybe he'd come back because the money on offer in Australia is generally better than NZ.

21. McKibben
22. BKH would be better than Batger, but maybe BKH is injured again???

I reckon Vickerman will be 40 but its difficult keeping count! Its mind blowing how much damage you can do in sixteen weeks including two byes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Waratahs forced to search clubs for a prop
Jamie Pandaram
June 6, 2011

VETERAN Al Baxter will urge the Waratahs' under-strength front row not to steal their colleagues' duties when facing the formidable Highlanders' scrum this weekend.

With Benn Robinson to be sidelined for the game, NSW must hope replacement Paddy Ryan recovers from a shoulder injury or they will use academy player Jeremy Tilse and then be forced to scour the club-rugby ranks for a reserve prop in the must-win match.

The Waratahs released young prop Tetera Faulkner to the Force earlier this season and are desperately short, with Robinson joining other first-choice heavyweight Sekope Kepu on the injured list. Young academy prop Scott Sio is the wildcard, with Ryan rated a 50-50 chance at best.

NSW face the prospect of also being without Ben Mowen (ankle) and Lachie Turner (hamstring) while skipper Phil Waugh (hamstring) is not a guaranteed starter. Lock Kane Douglas will miss the last two rounds after being suspended for a dangerous tackle on Bulls centre Wynand Olivier, but No.8 Wycliff Palu will return from his hamstring injury on Saturday.

Baxter, 34, becomes the man to carry the Waratahs' scrum against the tough Highlanders pack, and his message to whoever partners him will be to avoid becoming a maverick. ''It gets pretty specific against the bloke you are up against, but a lot of it is just make sure you be part of the pack,'' Baxter said. ''The big thing when you first come in, you try to do too much and start doing stuff on your own instead of working as a pack. Sometimes you just have to calm them down a bit. Say 'work with Taf, he is one of the best hookers in the business. Work with the guys behind you because they'll give you plenty of weight.'

''Actually, the way to be most effective sometimes is to just pull back a bit. When a young bloke comes in it is usually about calming the nerves than geeing them up. They are always fired up, and that's one of the benefits of getting a young bloke in, their enthusiasm and excitement and adrenalin they bring is great. [But] it is making sure it's directed in the interests of the team.''

Baxter, who spent most of the year on the bench, rolled back the years against the Bulls at Loftus Versfeld with a heavy workload that included 31 ruck involvements, five carries for 23 metres, seven tackles and three mauls. The savage injury toll has highlighted the importance of Baxter to the NSW squad. The 69-Test prop is considering retirement but when asked if this situation would make him less likely to hang up the boots, Baxter said he was not thinking past the final two games. ''My only concern is what is happening in the next couple of weeks, we're in a tough spot obviously not having come away with many points on this tour, so my focus very much is on the day-to-day,'' he said.

''We're trying to get backs who are injured back in the team, we're trying to get guys who are new up to speed, we've got travel ahead of us, two big games. There's not a huge amount of focus more than day-to-day.''

The Highlanders, led by 128 kilogram tight-head and skipper Jamie Mackintosh, will fancy their chances at scrum time and last year used a plan to attack NSW through the tight five.

But Baxter said there was plenty of belief in their back-ups. ''It is going to be a big ask, the Highlanders are traditionally very good scrummagers and traditionally have a big forwards game,'' he said.

''It falls upon all the senior guys to step up. Certainly whoever comes in, it will be a steep learning curve and hopefully I can help them through and get them up to speed quickly.

''Whichever guy steps up, whether it is Paddy or Tilsey, we have great confidence in them because they've been superb throughout the year and really developed. Both are coming along in leaps and bounds. It's really good being able to go to that depth of squad … ''

Coach Chris Hickey added: ''It's been the story of our season, but everyone we've asked to step up has stepped up, including some of the club players we've put in.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-for-a-prop-20110605-1fnhh.html#ixzz1OR1IrAYU

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Waratahs get good news from the casualty ward
Greg Growden
June 7, 2011

THE Waratahs are relieved they may be able to field a competitive line-up against the Highlanders on Saturday night after initial concerns they would be short of fit men for a match they must win to make the finals.

When the Waratahs returned from their ill-fated South African trip on Sunday, they complained of a heavy injury toll that included many key players they assumed would be unavailable for the Sydney Football Stadium clash.

However, Waratahs coach Chris Hickey was in a considerably brighter mood last night when he discovered, after a series of MRI scans, that Test winger Lachie Turner and Wallabies prop Benn Robinson, who were expected to be sidelined for a lengthy period, may be fit to play this weekend.

Hickey also received confirmation Test No.8 Wycliff Palu and his captain and breakaway Phil Waugh, who both missed the two-match South African tour, would be available to confront the Highlanders.

Turner suffered a hamstring strain, which forced him to be replaced at half-time against the Bulls in Pretoria on Saturday.

''The MRI has shown no tear, which is pretty positive news,'' Hickey said. ''Lachie is a possibility to play this week, but we won't know until Friday. He will have a very modified training week, and we will see how he pulls up.''

Robinson's scan revealed he had sustained a ''mid-foot sprain'', but there was no bone injury or ligament damage. ''Benn will be like Lachie Turner. He will not be able to do much at the start of the week, but he is a possibility. He may not even run until Friday,'' Hickey said.

Robinson's availability is crucial, as there is a dearth of fit front-rowers at the Waratahs. Tight-head prop Sekope Kepu is unavailable for at least three weeks, while replacement prop Paddy Ryan is in doubt. All that is left is Al Baxter and Jeremy Tilse, with academy prop Scott Sio expected to be placed on stand-by.

Palu and Waugh have also made ''significant progress while we have been in South Africa, and will both be available''. If Palu plays, it enables the Waratahs to move Dean Mumm back to the second row to replace Kane Douglas, who has been suspended for two matches for a dangerous tackle on Bulls centre Wynand Olivier.

''So there are a couple of rays of sunshine, which is good. If these players come through, it will be the best news we've had for a long time,'' Hickey said. ''Considering what I was originally expecting, I was much happier after I read all the medical reports today. Also the good thing about this season is that despite all the injuries, those who have had to step up have performed.''

Hickey made special mention of second-rower Sitaleki Timani, who was competitive against the Bulls contingent of jumpers - Victor Matfield and Bakkies Botha - in Pretoria.

Others unavailable for the Highlanders game include back-rower Ben Mowen (ankle), who could be out for a month, while centre Ryan Cross is a possibility of returning for the final-round match against the Brumbies in Sydney on June 18.

Hickey said there was no chance of Test second-rower Dan Vickerman playing this weekend, as he is not due back from the United Kingdom until at least Friday.

''We believe Dan will be fit to play the following week, but it is the amount of knowledge and intellectual property, that he has to pick up pretty quickly, which is more of the issue,'' Hickey said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...sualty-ward-20110606-1fpfc.html#ixzz1OX4HUpIF

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
so:
Cat-TPN-Fuze
Mumm-Timani
Dennis-Waugh-Palu
Burgess-Barnes
Carter-BKH
Turner-Beale-Paka

Ulugnia
Supa-Prop
O'Connor
Alcock
Perret/Burgess
Burgess/Halangahu
Halangahu/Anesi

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bit worried about the mobility of the pack. Highlanders might be all over us at the breakdown.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the backline looks much better with hangers at 10 and barnes at 12.

Who is the massive prop who played for the u20's last year, he's playing club rugby in sydney isnt he?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the backline looks much better with hangers at 10 and barnes at 12.

Who is the massive prop who played for the u20's last year, he's playing club rugby in sydney isnt he?

Yanayanayatawa? Fainganaku? Both anchoring for the brumbies I believe.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
so:
Cat-TPN-Fuze
Mumm-Timani
Dennis-Waugh-Palu
Burgess-Barnes
Carter-BKH
Turner-Beale-Paka

Ulugnia
Supa-Prop
O'Connor
Alcock
Perret/Burgess
Burgess/Halangahu
Halangahu/Anesi

Fairly unlikely I would think. Hickey's read on the backs performance in the Bulls game will have been "Not too bad, lets try it again". So I expect we will see Burgess, Hangers, Barnes, Carter with a back three of Anesi, Beale and Turner if fit. McKibben, BKH and Pakalani on the bench. Not my first choice, but I think it will be Hickey's.

The 5:2 split went pretty well against the Bulls and the Highlanders will present a similar type of pack but with a bit less sting. But with Turner doubtful injury-wise, if he is selected I think they will go 4:3. If he's out, I expect 5:2. Given Alcock's ability to miss 50% of his tackles, I suspect Perrett might have risen above him off the bench, especially as he covers all three backrow spots and Hickey gave him a special mention after the Bulls game.

But despite the hopefulness, the biggest issue is Robinson's fitness. Pushing on one leg is not the best way to hold up the scrum, so who to go to if Robinson doesn't make it is the big issue. Tilse has been under an injury cloud this year but is the obvious go-to squad member, Scott Sio from the Academy is very young and Aldy King has been getting good wraps on the club forum but he's also very young. The cupboard is very bare.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
BKH is a good player, and I would at least like to see him on the bench. If we are paying for him, lets use him.

McKibben is unlucks in that the only player not to be injured or benched at some point this season is Burgess.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think win their next two games with one bonus point at least and the 'Tahs will make the final. Massive Reds fan, but really behind the Tahs in their push for the finals.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
so:
Cat-TPN-Fuze
Mumm-Timani
Dennis-Waugh-Palu
Burgess-Barnes
Carter-BKH
Turner-Beale-Paka

Ulugnia
Supa-Prop
O'Connor
Alcock
Perret/Burgess
Burgess/Halangahu
Halangahu/Anesi

More likely

Robinson/Tilse
TPN
Baxter
Mumm
Timani
Dennis
Waugh
Palu

Burgess
Halangahu
Anesi
Barnes
Carter
Turner/Paka
Beale

Tilse/Sio
Ulugnia
O'Conner
Alcock
Perritt
McCibbon
BKH

T

TheNextBigThing

That gives me some real hope. Contingent on Robinson being fit.

That said I'd better start showing some confidence in Sio and Tilse as they'll be definitely be playing over the next few weeks.

I would have thought BKH would have played already if he was fit. Maybe that's just cause I don't rate Cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.