• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies 28th June ANZ Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Starting Skelton on the bench means that only 4 of the starting team were playing in gold last weekend.
Am I misinterpreting you? I count 10...
2. Tatafu Polota Nau
3. Sekope Kepu
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Rob Horne
12. Kurtley Beale
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Israel Folau

EDIT: OK, I see you are referring to the forwards only..it's a nice line up though :)

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Chat's getting serious

10460722_291271231053345_4928875583889431823_n.jpg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Smith still might play.........

Bernie considering Rodney Iona, but I suppose Coleman is more likely based on BJ's training viewing.........

ACT Brumbies head coach Stephen Larkham is contemplating throwing Tuggeranong Vikings centre Rodney Iona into the Super Rugby province's biggest game of the year against the NSW Waratahs on Saturday as their injury woes deepen.

With Wallabies Matt To'omua (adductor) and Pat McCabe (shoulder) already sidelined, Andrew Smith was named at inside centre, but he'll need to pull up well from two fitness tests on Thursday if he's going to run out against the Waratahs.

Larkham hopes Smith will be available for a game the Brumbies must win to have a chance of finishing above the Waratahs and atop the Australian conference.

But Larkham said Iona, utility Robbie Coleman, who will play his 50th game, and veteran Clyde Rathbone were also options for the No.12 jersey.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/andrew-smiths-hamstring-gives-brumbies-fresh-injury-scare-20140626-zsmq0.html#ixzz35ksP1QOV

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/andrew-smiths-hamstring-gives-brumbies-fresh-injury-scare-20140626-zsmq0.html#ixzz35ks2bmRz

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Laurie Fisher confirmed this morning that Andrew Smith won't play.

Expecting Robbie Coleman to 12 and maybe Haru onto the bench

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Brumbies pack is still quite handy, though Murphy may struggle to hit targets, he will scrum like a third prop and put us under pressure at scrum time.

Back row of the Tahs probably has an advantage in experience while the halves and centres pretty much cancel each other out.

Back three is pretty close too - Rathbone similar to Horne; Speight a bruiser versus Bread the stepper; Folau the ball runner versus Mogg the Boot.

Tight five: Tahs by a slim margin
Back row: Tahs
Halves: Even
Centres: Even
Back three: Tahs by about one quarter of a Folau
Bench: Tahs

So its not as clear-cut as everyone thinks. If the Brumbies have a good night with the boot, and Walsh doesn't want an open game, then they can strangle the home side.

The Tahs need to basically beat the shit out of the Ponies through the middle and keep the ball away from them, and get in the ref's ear.

Simple stuff. Hard to execute.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Whatever happened to Haru?

Or Cronje? Iona is a good player and has done exceptionally well for the Brumbies at 7s and 10s, but both Haru and Cronje are squad members and you'd think would be next cabs off the rank. Would not mind seeing Haru start at 12, or Cronje at 10 with Christian to 12. Robbie would also go ok at 12 imo against KB (Kurtley Beale) and he did play some good games there for the Brumbies a year or two ago.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I'd start with Robbie at 12 and have Iona on the bench in place of Rathbone. Coleman vs Beale will be an exciting matchup midfield.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Robbie played at 12 for Queanbeyan a couple of weeks ago. He was brilliant. I know it's a pretty large step up but he definitely looked the goods.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Robbie played at 12 for Queanbeyan a couple of weeks ago. He was brilliant. I know it's a pretty large step up but he definitely looked the goods.

Robbie's a fantastic 12 when ever Ive seen him there, much in the same fashion as Gits, just a little smaller.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So, both teams to be running their big men down the 10/12 channel all night?

Fine for the Tahs, Horne defends in the 10/12 channel (go you hardest at him) while Beale plays "2nd 15" and off defensive lineouts they add Hooper defending at 10 with Foley taking the Hooker position next to the lineout

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
looking forward to tomorrow night! i think the team has the goods, but will be interested to see if we can bring the same hunger we had pre-baguette break.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Actually if I was trying to take the Tahs apart, I would be doing what one of the Kiwi sides did.

Isolate Beale as he defends a wide blindside so he has to make a one on one tackle, Speight would be best option.

Also send a few pleasant box kicks at him with Rathbone or Speight hunting hard.

The Brumbies? send, Palu, Skelton or Horne through the 10/12 channel with Folau trailing for the pop pass through the tackle; and go at them hard in defense, that in your face confrontation from the Chiefs game for 80 minutes

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Isolate Beale as he defends a wide blindside so he has to make a one on one tackle, Speight would be best option.

Hurricanes tried that unsuccessful a couple of times IIRC, with a physical half back like Phipps and a quick flanker like Hooper you can compensate for Beale's lack of defensive ability even with a big blindside to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.