• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs Crusaders Friday 31st May 5:40pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redsman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Becasue the momentum was stolen away by the ref thats why... deadset all those penalties on the Tahs lines the absolute contradictory calls at the breakdown - eg Balls out for Cruds play it... v penalty for tahs. Granted BArnes had his chance but that was just a travesty tonite.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
You can have Strategic replacements, Wingers, Centres, and Forwards. But you don't changes a 9 and 10 that is going really well in a must win game. Bad coaching...

I have a strange feeling that 9 and 10 did not get changed; I thought I saw McKibben and Horne come off - that's 9 and 12 in my book. So that wasn't the reason we lost. It came down to a period just after half time when the Crusaders were dominant for ten to fifteen minutes. I would argue we were dominant about 55 minutes out of 80 and the Crusaders maybe the rest. Why didn't we win under those circumstances? We were certainly playing all the football. Its just that there were two standards out there; both teams were not treated equally. Totally disheartening, but on the evidence of this year's Super Rugby there is a huge gulf between the top three or four refs and the rest. And Jackson is firmly in "the rest" quadrant. Jackson's not a cheat, as suggested above, he's just very poor and we got the wrong end of the pineapple.

The Crusaders knew it too. Look at the Crusaders' faces at the end of the game - they were looking around wondering how they had won. Listen to Whitelock's post-game interview. He was almost embarrassed to take it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You know the argument that it should of been a penalty because the backrow of Saders was not bound, is that not negated by none of put ins being straight?? (I know they never are, just saying)

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
You know the argument that it should of been a penalty because the backrow of Saders was not bound, is that not negated by none of put ins being straight?? (I know they never are, just saying)

Chicken and egg scenario I suppose but your are correct to raise it. The scrum has to be steady before the half back puts the ball in, if the back row aren't bound should it matter how the ball is put in? Thats how I'd approach it anyway

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That back row wasn't bound but the Tahs TH had already popped out (Ryan I think?).

Tahs were clearly trying to milk a penalty out of the scrum and it appeared they were not only pushing forward but also up to do this. IMO they were lucky not to be penalised first.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I know its a bit late, and it has a hollow feeling now, but how good was Bethams try? Has to be in Sean Maloneys Top 5 Tries of the Season, it was pretty much the perfect set piece move and Hoopers pace made it possible, are there any back rows in the world who could have executed that as well as Hooper?

Reactions: mjw

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have a strange feeling that 9 and 10 did not get changed; I thought I saw McKibben and Horne come off - that's 9 and 12 in my book. So that wasn't the reason we lost. It came down to a period just after half time when the Crusaders were dominant for ten to fifteen minutes. I would argue we were dominant about 55 minutes out of 80 and the Crusaders maybe the rest. Why didn't we win under those circumstances? We were certainly playing all the football. Its just that there were two standards out there; both teams were not treated equally. Totally disheartening, but on the evidence of this year's Super Rugby there is a huge gulf between the top three or four refs and the rest. And Jackson is firmly in "the rest" quadrant. Jackson's not a cheat, as suggested above, he's just very poor and we got the wrong end of the pineapple.

The Crusaders knew it too. Look at the Crusaders' faces at the end of the game - they were looking around wondering how they had won. Listen to Whitelock's post-game interview. He was almost embarrassed to take it.

Cool Cool Mate, I just know Barnes as a 10 and last week with him lucus were doing well. I just recall Barnes coming in as 1st Receiver on lucas tonight.... But I was back and forwards from the tv in the last 20min

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The first half from the Tahs was some of the best rugby played this year. They were bloody fantastic. Well the golden boy with the golden boot didn't get the job done under pressure. Shit happens I guess but replacing Horne was a huge blunder. Unless he was injured he should never have been replaced. He was having a blinder.

Judging by his performance tonight and some last season, Dennis is a better 8 than a 6.

The Betham try could very well be the best of the year. Actually he reminds me of Latham. Hooper was bloody quick to smoke Dagg the way he did.

That was one of those games where the man of the match could justly come from the losing side.

We can argue about the scrum but in credit to the Tahs, not many sides have dished the Crusaders up at scrum time like tonight.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
So in the first 10 mins AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has passed twice and Timani taken 2 lineouts but I suppose the forum thinks they still can't.
Funny how people in this forum get fixated on traits they think they see in particular players when in reality it's usually bullshit hey Qwerty? Unbelievable really! ;-) Haha! Sorry, couldn't resist.

On the game but, were the Crusaders penalised even once for offside? I don't remember one, yet the Tahs were penalised a number of times. Most of the Tahs calls were right but the Saders were offside lots and never seemed to be called.

And Jackson not awarding penalties late in a game that would otherwise be awarded is crap.

A great game with a crappy ending. And fuck the Hooper/Betham try was a RIPPER!! ;-)

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Great kick from Barnes under pressure there. First name on the team sheet for the Lions series surely.....

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
The tahs stopped running the ball in the second half. They kicked more and from good positions as well. All credit though. They really deserved to win

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Great kick from Barnes under pressure there. First name on the team sheet for the Lions series surely...

Massive worrying sign there. He was very good vs Wales last year so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It wasn't even close.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Massive worrying sign there. He was very good vs Wales last year so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It wasn't even close.
Think he is a bit rusty. But kicking at the Tah's been awful this year. Do they have a kicking coach or do they phone Matt Dunning up and ask him for kicking advice?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As I've said previously, Jackson is not up to this standard at the moment. Why he is continually given crunch matches totally baffles me. On the evidence of the last scrum alone, he shouldn't ref another super game this year. How long did that scrum take? 4, 5, 6 minutes? He was clearly trying not to give a penalty. I felt for the players tonight. Last week they were poor and deserved to lose on their merits, tonight they deserved to win. For the first time this year I'd agree with Cheika if he unloads on the ref.

This is not just a Waratahs thing, I've seen a few sides dudded this year by substandard refereeing performances. Is anyone at SANZAR accountable for this???

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)

I can't believe this but I agree with you qwerty. If I had to choose anyone to kick that penalty it would've been Barnes (australians that is). I reckon he rushed it but I think that's his tactic as well, dont get too caught up in the pressure.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Think he is a bit rusty. But kicking at the Tah's been awful this year. Do they have a kicking coach or do they phone Matt Dunning up and ask him for kicking advice?

Barnes has kicked very well for the Tahs this year, the others not so much. Don't think they even have a coach.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Barnes has kicked very well for the Tahs this year, the others not so much. Don't think they even have a coach.
We went into 2 Lions series. One we lost one we won. Difference between them was the one series we went in without a on form kicker and the other one we won because we had a on form kickers, Even though in the 2nd test the one boot let them down we luckily had one on the bench as back up and could make the under pressure kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.