• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2025

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
Good appointment on the face of it, only concern would be the idea of too many cooks in the kitchen. Once a coach, always a coach. Hope he lets whoever becomes the coach do that job without meddling

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
A few S&C staff at Waratahs updating their CVs you would have to assume;

IMG_0217.jpeg

Last edited:

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Canham has signed with the Reds. Exactly who we needed but have missed.
No chance of Lukhan Salakaia-Loto coming to NSW, which means the reds could have four wallaby locks, the brumbies 3-4 and the tahs none, and only one genuine lock.

There will be a Tahs logo in the dictionary under the term 'Clusterf**k'.
Considering LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was close to returning to NSW instead of the Rebels, why are the Tahs not in pole position to land LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) considering he is a NSW-man?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I wondered that myself when I saw the 'no chance' comment earlier. I didn't say anything as I wasn't sure if I had missed something

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I've heard* that Thorn told LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) that "he would never play for the Reds again" if he signed for Northampton, so he is very keen to prove that statement wrong.

*I actually haven't heard this - I just made it up

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Similarly I have heard that all the Rebels players 'who flat out refused to sign with the Tahs' are sitting on their hands while the coaching arrangements are getting bedded down. At least a good few of them anyway. It would seem that those ones who are in the Wallabies squad have at least conveyed a commitment to Super Rugby, but are yet to decide where they are going.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
For all the other rumours, my understanding was one of Canham's conditions for staying (at least at some point) was continuing to play with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). That may have changed in the interim, but overall it's not necessarily positive signs for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) being anywhere but Brisbane.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
We will find out in due course but you would think the Reds would be starting to get a bit tight on the salary cap. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & Leota must be high on the Tahs shopping list.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Similarly I have heard that all the Rebels players 'who flat out refused to sign with the Tahs' are sitting on their hands while the coaching arrangements are getting bedded down. At least a good few of them anyway. It would seem that those ones who are in the Wallabies squad have at least conveyed a commitment to Super Rugby, but are yet to decide where they are going.
I find this funny. It's a fans take and hope. End of the day it's a job for these guys. We fail to recognise this at times.

seabasss

Frank Row (1)
I have been recently wondering if RA will loosen the salary cap rules if 1) the respective club can prove they can afford the difference and 2) it means keeping a good player in Australia instead of losing them to overseas.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is the salary cap even a real thing? Has any team ever breached it officially or been penalised?

RA just shift the burden from Super Rugby to top-up for a few.players and no problem right?
It's very loose and has generally existed to try and stop clubs overspending rather than spread talent. I don't remember it ever being enforced, at least not in any real way. There are also already a bunch of exceptions for Wallabies and long standing talent so it's not difficult for them to amend it.

Harrison already flagged as much early on in this process, so there isn't any RUPA opposition to changes there, which would have been the one possible stumbling block to changes.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Dan Palmer has resigned from Leicester Tigers following McKellar's dismissal

These bloody two. Wayne Bennett, Darius Boyd vibes.

Bring them back!

In regards to that post about Super Rugby. It can't be hard to figure out who that person is with such knowledge. It's an interesting read but I also wonder if RA are at least governed enough in Aus to not be such a shit show. Some of the stuff re selections I actually don't care all that much. Iv'e heard things about McKellar and his time at the ACT from former players who don't hold him great regard personally. note - they aren't worthy of Super jobs so take their opinion for what it's worth and with a sense of bitterness.

End of the day the Tahs right now have nobody in the offices that need to be filled and working. They aren't the most desirable place to work either at the moment so I'll reserve judgement as it's a disaster right now anyway.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I find this funny. It's a fans take and hope. End of the day it's a job for these guys. We fail to recognise this at times.
You missed my reference to strewth's 'I have heard' in the post above mine. However, these players can literally sit on their hands in this instance as they get paid until the end of next season and play club rugby if they wish. It would make sense that some do want to move to Sydney over their other options but want to know what the coaching set up is first, and/or what some of their former team mates are doing. You would assume that the discussions between the players without a home and RA are ongoing on this basis.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
There are just people, many on here who think players should refuse to go to NSW as they are the problem and not people like Baden who has landed on his feet just fine.

I personally don't see anyone worth a pinch just collecting a cheque and playing Club footy. Quickest way to irrelevance when the next contract season rolls around and you've been 'killing it' for Norths.

It's not as if we have 30 guys on the market who are genuine Super Rugby players let alone starters. Rebels did better than the Tahs but still had a losing record... They probably have 10 guys everyone wants right now. Another 10 who would be good pick ups and 10 who probably don't get another job immediately. Spots 27-30 in the squads always roll over. Last season the Tahs had guys like Von Appen on the books... Moved on.

Top Bottom