• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2025

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
The other telling aspect is that (and happy it corrected) none of the Rebels have signed extensions.

Were they on offer?

Have they said OK, rather than play club we’ll turn out for the tRAhs then be done?

Oh and btw, why haven’t they signed Brad Wilkin?
Josh Canham has. He signed a two year deal with the Reds

I suspect it's probably because RA is contributing to (I think I saw half?) the player payments for the remaining year of most contracts, but wouldn't be contributing anything if a new contract was signed.

Unlike most players under discussion here, Brad Wilkin is out of contract for 2025, so open to any team that wants to sign him

Mick The Munch

Vay Wilson (31)

I suspect it's probably because RA is contributing to (I think I saw half?) the player payments for the remaining year of most contracts, but wouldn't be contributing anything if a new contract was signed.

Unlike most players under discussion here, Brad Wilkin is out of contract for 2025, so open to any team that wants to sign him
I was implying the Players who didn't want to join the tRAhs, and only have a year left on their contracts

The Reds got the best of the bunch i think

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)

I would think Wilkin would slot in nicely at the Brumbies, surprised they haven't gone for him. Reds and Force don't need him, Tahs could fit him in.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I would suggest a lot of the Rebels players were pretty shell-shocked after the demise of their team, and most (Canham the obvious exception) have signed that one year contract backed by RA to give themselves a chance to adjust post Rebels. No doubt some will be happy where they are, others may move on, who's to say.
Who got the best is probably debatable. I'm sure they would have liked a more prominent lock then the two they got, but picking up Tupou to replace HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Leota to replace Swinton was probably precisely what they were looking for. Given they had already signed Su'uali'i and Kellaway who replace Perese and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), they probably are reasonably happy with their pick-ups.
As to Wilkin, I have no idea why no-one has signed him yet, I rate him.

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
I would suggest a lot of the Rebels players were pretty shell-shocked after the demise of their team, and most (Canham the obvious exception) have signed that one year contract backed by RA to give themselves a chance to adjust post Rebels. No doubt some will be happy where they are, others may move on, who's to say.
Who got the best is probably debatable. I'm sure they would have liked a more prominent lock then the two they got, but picking up Tupou to replace HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Leota to replace Swinton was probably precisely what they were looking for. Given they had already signed Su'uali'i and Kellaway who replace Perese and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), they probably are reasonably happy with their pick-ups.
As to Wilkin, I have no idea why no-one has signed him yet, I rate him.
The Tahs should go after him

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I would think Wilkin would slot in nicely at the Brumbies, surprised they haven't gone for him. Reds and Force don't need him, Tahs could fit him in.
Wilkin would probably only be a bench prospect at the Brumbies Maybe he doesn't or wouldn't like that role? The starting backrow will probably be 6. Valetini, 7. Reimer, 8. Cale with Hooper and Scott as backup. I think the Brumbies would be better served with a young backrower for development in the next couple of years for when any of those above look to other avenues for their rugby. Nabolakasi stands out to me as one to get for the future. Also hoping Lachlan Hooper comes on next year.

EDIT : getting off topic - apologies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
He could win the Tahs job or at least start half the games if they rotated. Really depends on Slack-Smiths fitness and status.

Did someone say he has left?

Wilkin could probably also be a starter at a lot of clubs around the world. He's 28 now and might be thinking about where he could get the most return. Has been very injury prone and a Japanese season could be the best long term on the body.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Weird signing with the depth in the back 3 for 2025, espcially for a 2 year contract. Don't expect him to get gametime ahead of these 5:
- Jorgenson
- Kellaway
- Sualli
- Pietch
- Lancaster

You need players of his standard rounding out the squad though. He's capable of playing when required but isn't good enough to be in the best 23 of a good Super Rugby side.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
DM settling his squad for a couple of seasons.

Could read into it and say they don't see a heap of Super Rugby guys sitting in the 20s so it buys a bit of time as well. He's a serviceable Winger when needed.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Almost all 5 will be in the match day team.
11/14 Lancaster/Kellaway
13. Sua'ali'i
15. Jorgensen
23. Pietsch

One injury and he's playing.
I'm only speculating but I wonder if Sua'ali'i could be groomed as the Wallabies' solution at 12. Either of Foketi or Kellaway at 13 would work.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Does have merit. Surprises me Foketi has been looked over. I think hes been a good player in a pretty average system for a few years now.

Irea Simone still hits me as one Aus Rugby let slip.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does have merit. Surprises me Foketi has been looked over. I think hes been a good player in a pretty average system for a few years now.

Irea Simone still hits me as one Aus Rugby let slip.

If you watch the Brumbies' tries highlights from 2022 on youtube he's involved in so many of them and was so often used as first receiver...

Unfortunately, like so many others, appeared to be hitting his potential just before leaving the country.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
DM settling his squad for a couple of seasons.

Could read into it and say they don't see a heap of Super Rugby guys sitting in the 20s so it buys a bit of time as well. He's a serviceable Winger when needed.

I could totally see DM being in the role for less than 12 months

the wallabies coaching role will become available if JS keeps to his timeline and there’s already the previous work DM done with the national team and the national feeder team (brumbies)

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

the wallabies coaching role will become available if JS keeps to his timeline and there’s already the previous work DM done with the national team and the national feeder team (brumbies)
You'd love it wouldn't you - DM quits 12 months in and leaves the Tahs in another mess.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)

Well, tbh he seems to have been more proactive than most in getting a group together that they won't be left in a worse position whatever may happen.

Thought your boy Les was going to be the saviour though?

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
You'd love it wouldn't you - DM quits 12 months in and leaves the Tahs in another mess.

yes I am a self confessed Waratah hater who enjoys seeing the disfunction.

however my wallabies fandom supersedes my Waratahs hate and McKellar is one of the most qualified candidates for the job