• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2025

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Be interesting to see what happens with the tahs lineout next year, Holloway has been far and away the main target for the last few. With Hanigan also gone it doesn't really look like they've got an experienced caller amongst the likely starters. It might see Lee-Warner or Sinclair sneak into the starting side to fill that role.

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
Be interesting to see what happens with the tahs lineout next year, Holloway has been far and away the main target for the last few. With Hanigan also gone it doesn't really look like they've got an experienced caller amongst the likely starters. It might see Lee-Warner or Sinclair sneak into the starting side to fill that role.
Probably depends who starts at #4 but will probably be Lee-Warner or Ben Grant to call the lineout.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They'll have Angelo Smith and Leota who are no slouches in the air.
Have either of them called before though?

I don't think it's an impossible problem to solve, but going in with no experienced caller and no combination between lock/backrow/hooker is going to be an up hill battle to build that consistency and connection. The other question in the back of McKellar's mind will be whether or not those guys are hanging around beyond the end of their Rebels contract. A lot of guys coming in on one year replacement deals is just a bit trickier to build a team around.

Probably depends who starts at #4 but will probably be Lee-Warner or Ben Grant to call the lineout.
I forgot about Grant, he's not a bad shout for that role.

Looking at the options it does seem like Amotosero is set for a year mostly from the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is Ben Grant any more than a squad level player?

I certainly don't think the Tahs should be aiming to have his as a starter and potentially not even on the bench of their first choice team.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Is Ben Grant any more than a squad level player?

I certainly don't think the Tahs should be aiming to have his as a starter and potentially not even on the bench of their first choice team.
Big issue for me is the lack of depth currently in the backrow. What will that look like? If you take Grant out of the team entirely as you say then you got

4. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) 5. Amatosero
6. Leota 8. Gleeson 7. Gamble

19. Smith 20. ?

Is Ben Grant as a lock worse then say...slacksmith as a BR?

If allowed in the 23.
4. Smith 5. Amatosero
6. Leota 8. Gleeson/FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) 7. Gamble

19. Grant 20. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner)/Gleeson

But again - its the BR options that concern me more as I just don't know who they are!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the starting backrow is pretty clearly Leota, Gamble, Gleeson.

I'd put Hugh Sinclair and Fergus Lee-Warner ahead of Ben Grant as potential starters or bench players at either lock or in the backrow.

Who knows what we will get with Ned Slack-Smith. Losing the entire season to concussion is a huge worry but there's certainly potential there. At this point we need him. He's clearly the second 7 option in the squad.

The GroundsKeeper

Allen Oxlade (6)
Big issue for me is the lack of depth currently in the backrow. What will that look like? If you take Grant out of the team entirely as you say then you got

4. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) 5. Amatosero
6. Leota 8. Gleeson 7. Gamble

19. Smith 20. ?

Is Ben Grant as a lock worse then say...slacksmith as a BR?

If allowed in the 23.
4. Smith 5. Amatosero
6. Leota 8. Gleeson/FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) 7. Gamble

19. Grant 20. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner)/Gleeson

But again - its the BR options that concern me more as I just don't know who they are!
Have sinclair or FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) at 4 and 5 miles on the bench 6 leota, 7 gamble, 8 Gleeson

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
I've bought the 2008 jersey, one of my favourites. I'm so happy:
dhwPyyG.jpg
dhwiHuf.jpg

I think one picture of a 16 year old jersey in the current thread is more than enough. I prefer this photo TBH. You can see the jersey better

Last edited:

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
2 tighthead spots still available on the roster by my count.

Shame to miss seeing whether Archer could kick on.

Keen to see who McKellar has up his sleeve.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
With only TT and Botha as THP's, and four LHP's in Bell, Lambert , Kailea and HTS, perhaps HTS could move to THP, I believe he played one game there this season

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
With only TT and Botha as THP's, and four LHP's in Bell, Lambert , Kailea and HTS, perhaps HTS could move to THP, I believe he played one game there this season
They were looking at it before he got injured. Different coaching team but it seems likely they'll continue with it.

Blazing Saddles

Ward Prentice (10)
I think the starting backrow is pretty clearly Leota, Gamble, Gleeson.

I'd put Hugh Sinclair and Fergus Lee-Warner ahead of Ben Grant as potential starters or bench players at either lock or in the backrow.

Who knows what we will get with Ned Slack-Smith. Losing the entire season to concussion is a huge worry but there's certainly potential there. At this point we need him. He's clearly the second 7 option in the squad.
Have to agree, Grant has been underwhelming to date in a number of franchises he has been involved with, why you would sign him over someone like Houston from randwick I have no idea